Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my current physical level is at terrible standards. i need to get above average. i run a mile in 7 minutes which is horrible, max out at 40 push ups at a time, 80 sit ups in a minute, and i weigh 175 pounds and stand at 5'10".

my question is what kind of diet do i need to get on and workout types do i need to start in order to get in peak physical condition.. to qualify ranger status in the army?

[Edited by thegrim on Jan 30, 2006 3:19 PM]

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
For the running, I'd suggest the kind of workout I did when I ran cross country and distance track. Train for "overdistance" to build your endurance (if you're test is 2 miles, run 3 to 5), train for speed by doing timed ladder sprints (200m x2, 400m x2, 600m x2, 800m x2, 600m x2, 400m x2, 200m x2) once you've built up your endurance. Definitely work on improving the quality of your stride as well, as it will make the running easier. Heel kicks, leg lifts, bird steps, make sure you keep your arms up but loose, etc. Dont pound and plod as you run, you'll just hurt yourself, your steps should be kinda quiet and fluid. Also, in the weight room run in place with weights in each hand to build your arm strength and rhythm (your arms control your stride and pace).

For strength training, I'm a big fan of free weights over machines, as it forces all of the little stabilizer muscles to work and get stronger as well. Use dumbbells over barbells to help alleviate the need of a spotter so you can work alone if you have to. As far as actual things to work, that should be pretty obvious but do a thorough evaluation of what, where, and how much you're lifting to make sure you're both hitting all the muscle groups and not over or under training any specific areas. Definitely make sure to work your midsection and back, as thats the core of your strength.

For diet, cut out all the unecessary sugar. In the last year, I've lost close to 30 pounds (250 down to 220-230) just from not drinking regular soda or bottled teas. When you eat carbs, which you will NEED to fuel all that running and training, make sure they're whole grain types and not white flour (which is high in processed sugar, which is evil). Whole wheat pasta, bread, fresh potatoes, corn, etc. The other thing you'll need is protein. Eat steak, eat beef, eat pork, eat chicken, eat turkey, eat fish (especially fresh salmon and tuna). If it was once alive and made of meat, its your friend so long as its not too high in fat. Dont forget your fruits and veggies either, bananas are essential due to their high potassium, oranges (or juice), apples, pears, strawberries, grapes, salad (without a ton of dressing) and everything thing else in a mixed vegatable freezer bag. Dont overload on any one food group, try to stay balanced but I personally tend to stray towards the "steak and potatos" with a caesar salad. Try to stay away from junk foods, but dont totally deny yourself either. Dont eat a box of twinkies or a tub of cookie dough. Everything in moderation, including moderation. In other words, dont forget to cut loose every once in a while and hit that china buffet up for 5 plates, eat a whole pizza, etc.... just dont do it all the time. Have a "fat kid" day where you just eat whatever. The other side of things that you may not like... if you smoke, quit. If you drink heavily, cut back or stop altogether. A glass of wine or a few cans of light beer wont kill you, but a bottle/2 pitchers/etc will ransack your body of nutrients it needs to grow and get into shape (hence the hangover).

Hope some of this helps or isnt too far off from reality. :)

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good stuff. i'll start asap, as i need to do some grocery shopping ne way... does it matter what type of surface i run on? like would a beach be better than pavement? or vice versa...

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The way our drill sergeants built us up for increasing our speed was full out dead sprints... most of the time we would be dry heaving at the end of a run. However, just starting out, a good way to get your body used to it is to run telephone poles. Basically, after getting warmed up, when you run by a telephone pole, sprint until you get to the next one, run your normal pace, hit the next one, sprint, next pole, normal pace... as you get better at it, you could start changing up the cycle (sprint 2 poles, normal pace for 1, etc).

Pushups... best way to get the number up is do them all the time. When you wake up in the morning.. knock out as many as you can until failure... lunch time, knock out as many as you can until failure, dinner time, knock out as many as you can until failure, before bed, knock out as many as you can until failure... any time in between, knock out as many as you can until failure...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Pavement is about the worst surface you can run on. Beaches and sand are good from a strength and endurance point of view, but be careful not to twist an ankle out there and watch out for jellyfish and misc sharp objects since you'll probably be running barefoot. Its good training, I just wouldnt run on it all the time. I've always liked trail running the best (or at least since I started running lol) as its low impact, helps build those stabilizer muscles, and its not boring like a track or a beach w/o hotties due to the constant scenery change, elevation/traction/ground condition changes, and the fact that since there's little visual reference to just how far you've gone, you can run farther w/o realizing it. If you dont mind the boring-ness of it, a good rubberized high school track is a good place to train too, but I'd rather just run around the football field in the middle honestly.

[Edited by skierd on Jan 16, 2006 10:22 PM]

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only close places are beaches, pavement walkways along the bridge, and highschool tracks and fields

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay i think i may be pushing too hard... Doc, i now have nose bleeds on the regular since i have started my training. My stool is also damn near pitch black. Is that related to training hard? or could it be an entire different problem?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Nose bleeds aren't normal. Could be your humidity level where you live, work, or play is below 50%. Black stool isn't normal either. I would back off of the regimen a little both with the physical workouts and any supplementation you may be using. Give it a week and see if your dark stool lightens up. Also get a humidity checker and see if where you're at work, home, or play is between 50-70% humidity if it's too low you need to use a humidifier if it's high enough and or your stool doesn't clear up. Time to get into see your physician for further testing and or if the bloody noses or dark colored stool gets worse get into to see them.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stress is bad. it causes pain, which causes ulcers, which causes internal bleeding, which causes black stool. at 19, i'm too young for this shyt. nose bleeds came from dryness of tha air at my work enviroment....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I was concerned about that. Yes, that's one of the scenario's that cause black stools.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my doc just gave me meds... is there a type of diet i need to be on for a period of time to deal with this ulcer?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Ok...here goes (this is a bit unorganized)

Aloe vera juice 4 ounces a day. You can mix it with juice.

Herbs: Alfalfa, cat's claw, deglycerrhized licorice.

Diet: Eat plenty of dark green leaf vegetables: spinach, kale, escorole, Red tipped dark green leaf lettuce.

Don't consume coffee (decaf included), alcoholic beverages, tea's, caffeine, salt, chocolate, strong spices, fried foods, animal fat of any kind, no cow's milk. No hot drinks.

No smoking.

Drink freshly made cabbage juice, barley juice, wheat juice, and alfalfa juices.

Eat avocados, bananas, potatoes, squash and yams. Put these vegetables through a blender.

Eat frequent small meals like: White rice, raw goats milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, and kefir (goat milk product). Goats milk is different than cow's milk and better for you.

For bleeding ulcers: organic baby foods, fiber in the form of guar gum and psyllium seed.

Stress management.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
starting to feel a bit better. but my muscles spasm like ALL the time since i've slowed my work outs down due to the ulcer. I hate that twitchy feeling and the pain that comes with it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You probably should supplement with magnesium for your muscles. Except Magnesium Oxide (that form does no good for your muscles, but it will help loosen your stool).

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
where do you get the muscle spasms? Stomach?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You might need to get your back checked. When the spine isn't moving correctly it will give symptoms similar to that.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i am a fvcking mess... thecal discs in my back or whatever that have fluid are bulging and pinching my sciatic nerve making the left side (waist down) go numb every now n then.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I've seen worse :).

Decompression therapy helps with disc problems and in some cases helps the bulge and or herniation to decrease 50%.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts