Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my car to get inspected today...and it failed. I knew the system was running lean, but I didn't know why. Found out today it was the Mass air flow sensor. They wanted $280 to replace it...I told them I'd just do it myself. On ebay they run for around 100-150, has anyone bought any of these? Also, for replacing the sensor, I just remove the old one and plug the new one in right?

Quick help would be great...considering my inspection expired in August. Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey..
yeah the mass airflow sensors just plug in. i'd buy one on e-bay or go to a parts place around you. don't get the shop to do it, they will charge you an arm and a leg! Defiently a DIY job!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
How do you know that it is really the MAS. Is the check engine light on. It could just be a bad air leak at idle. As far as I know the MAS is just a heated wire that gets cooled by the incoming air and it should work or not work. Just make sure that the wire is not covered with carbon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yahh im positive its the mass air flow sensor...i had to pay them to find out what exactly was wrong. i've read on here that this is a common problem for the 1.5 alphas. so i guess im just going to get one on ebay.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a car that didn't pass the emissions turned out i needed to replace my CAT that sucked as it was fairly expensive so be glad it's just your sensor.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Veritas said:
yahh im positive its the mass air flow sensor...i had to pay them to find out what exactly was wrong. i've read on here that this is a common problem for the 1.5 alphas. so i guess im just going to get one on ebay.
Word of caution.. They are VERY sensitive. From who you buy it from, send them a email requesting specail padded packaging even if it costs extra. And DONT drop it. lol.

And yes, common problem, and that should fix it. If your light is still on, you can reset your ecu before driving into the emmissions place. Just pull off the NEG battery cable and press the brake pedal. Then wait 12 mins or so and put it back on. The code will go away and when they scan it you will pass.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wilburisthecoolest said:
Word of caution.. They are VERY sensitive. From who you buy it from, send them a email requesting specail padded packaging even if it costs extra. And DONT drop it. lol.

And yes, common problem, and that should fix it. If your light is still on, you can reset your ecu before driving into the emmissions place. Just pull off the NEG battery cable and press the brake pedal. Then wait 12 mins or so and put it back on. The code will go away and when they scan it you will pass.
sweet man, thanks alot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
wilburisthecoolest said:

ummm no that will not work if they link up your car to test emmisions like they do here in NY state because unhooking your neg cable will erase all OBDII monitor data that the computer is looking for to run the inspection so the best way is to change the sensor get in your car drive around 30 mph for about 5 min then slowly coast to a stop then get up to about 45-60 mph for about 10 min then coast to stop then get to about 30 mph fo r about 5 min then coast to stop after this if the light does not go out try again but double the times and if still not work get to a local parts store and check dtcs because ei ther the problem is not fixed or there is another problem causing the MILL . I WORK AT A SHOP AND DO THIS MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY TO GET CARS TO PASS NYSI

·
Registered
715 Posts
Veritas said:
So I took my car to get inspected today...and it failed. I knew the system was running lean, but I didn't know why. Found out today it was the Mass air flow sensor. They wanted $280 to replace it...I told them I'd just do it myself. On ebay they run for around 100-150, has anyone bought any of these? Also, for replacing the sensor, I just remove the old one and plug the new one in right?

Quick help would be great...considering my inspection expired in August. Thanks.
I had to replace the MAF on my fiancee's Accent my accent is MAP based anyways I read its worth a try at least pull your sensor apart so you have the electronic part and the tube part. Then spar the wire part at the bottom of the sensor with this it supposedly cleans the MAF and makes it work again... I didn't know until after I bought a new MAF...

Amazon.com: CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, 11 oz.: Automotive

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just bought a new one on ebay...$100. not too bad. i'll let you guys know if it passes this time.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
maccent98 said:
ummm no that will not work if they link up your car to test emmisions like they do here in NY state because unhooking your neg cable will erase all OBDII monitor data that the computer is looking for to run the inspection so the best way is to change the sensor get in your car drive around 30 mph for about 5 min then slowly coast to a stop then get up to about 45-60 mph for about 10 min then coast to stop then get to about 30 mph fo r about 5 min then coast to stop after this if the light does not go out try again but double the times and if still not work get to a local parts store and check dtcs because ei ther the problem is not fixed or there is another problem causing the MILL . I WORK AT A SHOP AND DO THIS MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY TO GET CARS TO PASS NYSI
Worked for me the last two times i got emissions. eh.

I used to just drive on the freeway in 4th to get the sucker nice and warm and to simulate a hard load. Then get it checked, but that was when it was stock and before i started ****ing with ****. Now i just reset a mile from the inspection place and drive like grandma to there.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Veritas said:

bro, Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is your friend, i get mafs for like 30 bucks or even less, just order from a junkyard using your credit card

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i finally passed inspection. however, on my way home today just as i pulled into my garage i noticed the check engine light was on yet again. i guess its good it came on after i got it inspected so i passed, but wtf is wrong now?

i haven't checked the code yet, but im assuming its the same thing. and either the sensor i just got went bad or the guys at the shop were wrong nad it wasn't the sensor. any opinons?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wilburisthecoolest said:
Still run fine?

Take out the lightbulb.

I did.:D
haha nice, thats great. if its still on next year i might try that lol. any idea on what it might be though?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bump...i kinda want to figure out the problem here. what does it mean if im running lean exactly. im pretty sure it means that i have more air than gas in the mix right...like not enough gas is getting in? and what problems will in encounter with this?

so...either the shop was wrong and it wasn't the mafs...or the mafs is bad? or its just something completely different. i haven't checked the new code yet, but im pretty sure its gonna be the same problem.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Something is messing up the AF Ratio. That could be an air leak after the MAF or low fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure could be due to a clogged filter, a bad fuel pump or a bad pressure regulator. Since the car runs OK I doubt that it could be one bad injector. If you run way too lean you will have poor combustion and could ruin the cat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts