Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone had a website I can get good headlights for. I was thinking halogen would work good for me. I figured I buy perhaps a kit and not just the bulb. It seems like my lights are dim now. I had the headlights cleaned but it helped a little bit. Then I changed the battery but still no major difference. I even changed the headlights to better ones and that helped but nothing major. I would like something that has safety kept in mind. I want to see a at least a 1/8 mile ahead of me clearly. As of now my lights suck and I consider it a safety issue in case I may not see a pot hole in the road or something. If you could list a url of a website that be great. I only found one website that would carry it however I am doubtful they are of quality

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
There could also be something wrong with your electrical...are your interior lights dim as well?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
There are no aftermarket light assembelys for the rd1 j2. Your best bet is buying new headlights and running the brightest bulbs you can buy. ive been happy with the sylvania silverstar ultras. not ultra blue, just ultras.

·
Registered
860 Posts
There are no aftermarket light assembelys for the rd1 j2. Your best bet is buying new headlights and running the brightest bulbs you can buy. ive been happy with the sylvania silverstar ultras. not ultra blue, just ultras.
Yay for Sylvanias!! They make pretty good lights...I have never had a problem with them when I have bought them in the past!:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyones input. If I can find the website I found the Halogen conversion kit I show you. AS for a link one of yall posted. I have a 1997 so headlight options are not as much for a 2000. I just got all my electrical wires upgraded. I had my bumber create a domino effect and on left side pulled all electrical wires and shredded my tire. THis happen when I was racing a mustang down 360. I felt embarassed because its the mustangs that usually breakdown. However this was a result from a previous accident and because it was not fixed right away the result was replacing a tire and electrical wires. I notice with the electrical wires upgrade my gas mileage increased.

As far as my interior lights being dim... No they are not dim, in matter of fact I bought a aftermarket energizer battery and it is actually brighter. I think I neeed new headlights and better bulbs. I bought the sylvania ones, however I seen a difference but not big enough to satisfiy me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, my 91 F250 diesel stock lights were dim as usual for that truck, but it was because the power from the battery, like most vehicles, goes back and forth through the wiring harness, fuse box and light switch before heading back through the wiring harness to lighting the bulbs!

I just cut the wires at the head light plug and took a head light plug from the same vehicle at a wrecking yard (or a generic plug from an auto parts store) that was cut with 12 inches of wire left attached to the plug and wired in a couple of relays (the newer ford trucks and vans have a sweet 2 relay holder in the fuse/relay box under the hood) and mounted a pair of them right between each of the dual batteries that are mounted behind the head lights.

I often get high beamed by those who think my brights are on, only to find my real "BRIGHTER BRIGHTS" blinding them 2 seconds later!

The new regular low beam lights are so much brighter than the old high beams, and that is with the same "high mileage, worn out, dull, stock, factory" bulbs!
If I were to get a set of those newer higher power bulbs, they would be "AIRCRAFT LANDING BRIGHT" bright!

You see, the main power and ground wires for the re-wired head lights go just a few inches to the relay and few inches to the bulb and then right back to the battery, and the stock wires use only a small amount of power to turn the regular light and high beam relays on and off so the wires can be longer as the power loss for long wires does not effect the power the lights.

Your car has only one battery, but it will still work with one set of relays like the link shows.
Here are the links.

Don't make the same mistake I did with the "whiter whites" headlight relay conversion - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

and

Whiter Whites, Brighter Brights .: Articles

·
Registered
56 Posts
say man if u really want to get brighter lights ur best bet is just goin HID's i have put them on my car and love em..bright as hell..and driving at night is not a problem..i live in a place that has pot holes on every street and can see them very well...look into em yo

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I would check your headlight aiming to be sure they're not aiming either too high or too low. That will make a big difference. Also the 1997 Elantras just don't have great headlights from a design point of view. They don't work as well as a lot of other cars.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I would check your headlight aiming to be sure they're not aiming either too high or too low. That will make a big difference. Also the 1997 Elantras just don't have great headlights from a design point of view. They don't work as well as a lot of other cars.
Yep.. and you CANT put HID's in. Well you can.. but whats the point? its still has to shine through that crappy shitty faded thick plastic ****... ugh.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ya aim em a lil bit..unless u just don't car bout the other cars on the road...ye regardless of wat its aiming thru it still makes one hell of a difference..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have tried silver star for several years. They are very bright. They last about six months. I can not prove it but I think they caused my lenses to crack and haze. I did find out one thing to keep in mind. If you do not put them in correctly the will appear dimmer. There is a semi circle on one edge and a square notch on the other on H7. If you put them in wrong it changes the beam angle. One more thing, the wire that holds the lamp in also serves as the ground and it its loose the lights will appear to dim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts