Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I am kinda irritated with myself cause I was going to buy this one engine located in Tucson, AZ it had low miles the price was great and they had no complaints with BBB...however, I decided not to long ago that I was goin to postpone that idea for a while...well I had my car looked at last Saturday and I have a lifter tap as well as high mileage so I decided to get that engine...well much to my dismay...my bf and I can no longer locate it on Ebay because the ad expired and I cant find the place anywhere when I search yellowpages.com for it in Tucson...I know it started with ABC but cant remember anything after that (curse my dads bad memory issues that I inherited from him!!!) Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could help me out once again...I really need to locate one soon!

I have a 1997 Tiburon FX 2.0L its a 4cyl. DOHC! I know that I can put up to a 2001 engine in my car...I think...dont get pissed at me if I put the wrong date...it might be only up to 1999 but I really need one thats in excellant condition...low miles...and the price is not a fortune!! I know my expectations seem high but the one I had found was perfect, nothing was wrong with it at all and it was only $401 plus $150 for shipping so I dont think that its to unreasonable!!

Please, please, please help me Im desperate:D So if anyone either has one or has seen one that would be really great you guys!!:eek: Oh I should also clarify that all I really want is an OEM engine...nothing special!! Right??

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...I wonder if its in good condition...I dont want sumthing thats gonna crap out on me!!:p Ill look into it thank you so much!!!! Your a life saver!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
No problem!

If your worried about condition (and you should be) ask for a compression test. All the cylinders should be pretty close and I would be worried if any read under 180. It's normal for a Beta to have between 190-210. At 17k miles it should be fine. Barely broken in.

Also, most if not all junkyards have engine warranties. They're short, but at least they're warranted to be operational and not DOA. Something like 30 days or 45 days if I remember right. Also, if you had Roy Y do the labor if the engine wasn't good once they put it in I'm pretty sure they would just use another motor from the pile and you would be set without paying for any more labor since it was their faulty engine. If you're paying someone else you would have to pay them to remove your engine, replace with the new one, remove the non-working new one, replace with another new one. So that's a potential benefit of having them do the work.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you so much!! How did you find this engine...I tried searching on there website and I put in Tiburon and the year and engine model and everything and when it came up with the info it came up with 2 Elantra engines $300 for each one, I think their search engine is having issues:rolleyes: so I was just wondering how exactly you found that engine...maybe I did it wrong I dont kno!!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
The 2.0 Liter Elantra engines are interchangeable with yours. ;-)

The ones I found are Elantra engines. They're exactly the same.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thats cool just a question??is there a difference of Hp/Tq ratio between my motor and a Elantra motor????Let me know guys thanks.....

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
no none, you just have a better tranny and the tibs are lighter.

I trust Roy Y wholeheartedly. They do complete engine rebuilds there, and they WILL NOT sell you a bad engine. I know all the guys there, and they all know me. hopefully youll talk to Rick, he is a funny dude.

That is a very very very nice option, i recomened them highly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YEA!!!!! It looks like this thing is finally starting to fall into place:D :D Now all I can hope is that its a complete engine and I can fit it in my trunk til I can put it in!! So if I get this engine Im not gonna need any other parts that I will need to put on instead like header, coil pack, etc...:)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Anything it doesn't have you can pull off of your engine. It probably won't come with all the accessories unless you pay more.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Roy Y usually sells engines as completes, all sensors, all manifolds, really everything that is connected to the engine. All they do is unplug it and unbolt it. If it came on the engine, coil packs, sensors, throttle body, it will still be on the engine. They are turn-keys litterally.

Ive seen them sell just long blocks and short blocks before, but they are usually complete.

It should, and like 95% chance be unbolt and unpluged the old, and rebolt and replug the new. And drive away.

But before purchaseing, call, and ask them for sure. They move ALOT of stuff through there, so i dont know now how long the engines will stay in the lot. I bought them out of Hyundai stuff a little while back.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Um... it was my understanding that noone wants a 2000-2003ish Elantra 2.0l because they have the smartra crap. So a non-Elantra 2.0l (prob Tib) would be ok though right?

I'm pretty sure there are some years of 2.0l that you don't want, and I thought they were from the Elantra.

:(

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
SMARTRA doesn't effect the engine at all, just the ECU and wiring harness from the car. An engine from a car with SMARTRA will run fine when hooked to a non-SMARTRA equipped wiring harness. SMARTRA is just a box under the dash that verifies that the key you're using has the right chip in it before it allows the car to start.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geez...dont do that you guys scared me!! LOL!! I am so gonna get that 2.0 Elantra engine and put it in...its so inexpensive and its gonna work...phew...relief...stuff is actually goin good for once!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
596 Posts
So really SMARTA is just the immobiliser or part of it...

Dosent it put a kill code on your engine if you try to start it with the wrong key tho??

Cheers
scythe

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
That's all in the electronics part though. If you put the Tiburon Key in the ignition of the Elantra in the junkyard (assuming it fit) and tried to start it then you would trip SMARTRA and the engine would not start because the Elantra's ECU would not allow it.

Pull that engine out and put it in the Tib and it will start fine. Pull it out and put it into another SMARTRA equipped vehicle and it will also start fine.

There are no electronics residing within the block or head on the engine (unless you count the sensors) and absolutely nothing that has to do with the SMARTRA components.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
187sks said:
There are no electronics residing within the block or head on the engine (unless you count the sensors) and absolutely nothing that has to do with the SMARTRA components.
This is the answer I was looking for.

I knew smartra was a ecm thing, but thought it was also an engine thing...glad it's not.

(I'm so technical.:D )

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ah ok then...
So its just the ECU/M and the ignition key that are affected by the SMARTA system...

Cheers
scythe

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey so I called Roy Y...they have two but they're both in the 70K mile range, which I can still live with so I am gonna try and get down there soon, they're both $300 and I am gonna have a compression test done while Im there so my bf and I can make sure its good!!:D :D :D I am sooo excited now...now all I gotta do is get that stupid loan which is kicking my butt rite now!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts