Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for ways to increase power, decrease power to weight ratio and do it w/out voiding my warranty. I've got a '08 Accent hatchback with manual tranny. It's gonna be about 9ish months till I start working on it but I wanted to get some ideas from other folks that have already done it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
737 Posts
you should make a goal for what you want the car to be
do you want a fun street driven daily driver?
do you want something that will be fun on an autox course that can still be driven everyday?
are you planning on doing any track days?
what is your budget?

there are plenty of questions to ask yourself

a wheel/tire upgrade if you have stock steelies is a good way to make the car look better as well as handle and brake better.

An air intake and muffler or full exhaust system will give you a few more hp and will make your car sound more aggressive and makes the engine quicker to respond. Don't expect huge gains from bolt ons.

Lightening is a matter of what do you need in your car
you can find lighter seats, take out the rear ones, who needs a spare tire and jack its just dead weight and why have a/c when I never use it anyway. These are all things you need to think about. In a daily driver especially if its your only vehicle i'd advise you to keep it liveable. The accents don't weigh much to begin with so work around this.

the best advice I can give anyone new to the hyundai aftermarket community is to not be a "parts thrower". what I mean by this is, don't put on parts just because somebody said you need these rotors to brake better, or make 20 more hp with this intake, or make your car handle like a go cart with these springs. Get to know your stock car and only address things that really need improving.

hopefully this will at least get you started on your new project

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. A lot of the things you mentioned I didn't think of. I've already been looking into lightweight wheels and bolt on intakes. Once I get some information about what would void my warranty, I'll start looking into more specific upgrades. My initial goal for the car is to still be my everyday driver and be able to occasionally blow the doors off a few punks in civics w/ lawnmower mufflers. I would like to take it to the track or an autocross some day to see what it's capable of.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I dont think getting an intake for the 08 accent would be good. I rather just take off the oem air feed to the intake box and just run k&N. The intake piping and filter would be to close to the motor. Theres nothing really you can do to weight reduction either because im pretty sure youll only go as far as taking out your backseats. I tried it at the the track and didnt really improve handling, prolly made it worst.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts