Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty pleased when i found this site. I have been looking for a forum that isn't full of idiots to talk about hyundais.

on 12/2/05 I purchased a 2005 Hyundai Accent L (website calls it a gls, but everywhere i look it is called a L) and I love it. Its a cool little car that is very fun to drive. Im not really into a lot car mods, but i would like to squeeze out some more performance out of my new car. What I am mainly interested in is:

How effective is a CAI vs a WAI?

How wide/big of tires can I put on this thing to improve traction & handling?

and this is the big one: Am I able to get a new exhaust system that doesn't sound like im 14 and driving a ricer? I hate that sound the aftermarket mufflers make. I would like to get the enhanced HP but will go without if it will make that sound. I would like to keep the muffler volume as close to stock as possible.

A side question to that one: Do muffler silencers kill the gained HP from the new exhaust? and how effective are they?

Do I need a whole new system for the HP increase or will a new muffler increase it at all?

I feel that is enough questions for now, i will post pics of my car soon. I appreciate any responses on my questions

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm new here aswell and just purchased an Accent GT last week.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Alright to answer your questions ill start by introducing myself. I am Adam the official crash test dummy of the Hyundai Mafia (theres alot of us now).

1. A cold air intake is better then a warm air intake mainly because the colder the air is the denser the "charge" meaning the colder air is the more air molecules there are in a specified amount of air. So the reason we like colder air is because the denser it is the more fuel it can hold. With me so far, good moving on.

2. The size of the rim and tire combination is mainly dependent on how you drive. Alot of the AutoX guys like a smaller rim like say a 14 or 15 because of the weight savings. Daily drivers like myself normally go for 16's or 17's. I have 17"x7" wheels on my car with 205/40 R-17's on my car and it doesnt rub at all. So make your rim selection based on how you drive and what you plan to do with the car.

3. This question i had to do some research on. Some people say a catback will give you some gains, others say an entire exhaust ie. headers, high flow cat(or no cat for you anti smog legal people out there) is the only way to get any real gain. The latter is the correct statement, you have to understand the principles of air movement, Air can only move as fast as the smallest area will let it. So if you have stock headers and cat and a performance catback exhaust your not really gonna see any gains because of the restrictiveness of the first section. I hope this clears up some of your questions and good luck with your accent there great cars. I love mine.

[Edited by atrimble_2001 on Dec 9, 2005 9:12 PM]

[Edited by atrimble_2001 on Dec 9, 2005 9:13 PM]

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome. Umm I dont think denser air will hold more fuel I think it that when you get heated air in the intake the air molecules are dispanded getting less air molecules to use for combustion. Colder air is denser so you are getting more air molecules to use for combustion:ermm:. CAI are positioned to recieve colder air while WAI give you better throttle response but gets heated air. CAI wrap helps to keep temps down aluminum absorbs heat more than the stock intake. Go with a 2" catback with a nice muffler like you said not the fartcans, to gain some hp dont expect much though. Choose from 185/60/14 tires/rims 14x6 or 195/50/15 15x6.5 or 7. Sai Jian(have fun).

·
Registered
158 Posts
NO MOD works unless you do something about handling. Get a Strut Bar. Cheap, easy, greatest handling inprovement for the dollar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome guys. Thanks for the responses. After I asked the wheel question I took a look at the tire discount site and it gave me all the tires I can equip. I think im going to aim for 15s. If you ask me the 17s look a little odd on a car that small, but thats just me.

One question about the new headers and catback. Will I be sacrificing mpg for hp? My main goal is to keep the economical side of the car (one of the main reasons i bought it) while increasing performance and overall fun factor of driving it.

And a question about the strut bar. I have heard of strut bars and sway bars. Are they the same thing or different. If different, do I get both or just one?

Again, thanks for the help guys. I'm not very knowledgable about cars or the mods for that matter, im more of a computer guy and this is my first car i have had that is worth tuning up, so i have a bit of a learning curve to go through.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Strut Bars span the top of your struts, sway bars are at the bottom. Most cars have sway bars factory installed but not strut bars.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Strut bars help strenghten your cars overall stiffness, so you'll notice a lot less flexing in the car when taking turns. But you will notice a slight deagrade in ride comfort since you're making the car stiffer and less able to absorb the shock.

Sway bars keep the car on the ground, keep the tires on the road. Sways will slightly change your cars driving since it makes the car more neutural and does away with the stock oversteer. But it will make the car much more fun to drive.

On the CAI, vs WAI issue, there's been plenty of arguement on which is better, I've got a wai, haven't had any problems with it (kinda needed one since I've got an auto) it improved responsiveness throughout the rpm's especially the high end, and it didn't impact my mpg except when the weather was really wacky. There's a thread some where on this forum about intakes. I think they concluded that there's almost no difference between the two after all. CAI has bends and longer travel time that can kill any advantage over the wai, yada yada yada. You've just got to read it for yourself. :D

For the exhaust, there's a lot of good quality mufflers that won't make your car sound like a pos ricer. I've got a flowmaster 60 series muffler on and it's not loud, but it is nice and deep. My wai in the morning is louder than my muffler is. :D

The silencer will slightly lower your hp gain as will anything that is designed to mute the noise. There's really nothing you can do about that, except find a nice and queit muffler.

You won't really see huge hp gains with i/h/e though, maybe a total of 110-112 and that's not at the wheel. Our cars aren't powerful and nothing short of a turbo or beta swap will make them so. Unless you live in Puerto Rico, they've got like, magic Accents or something. :dead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts