Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a bit. I see you are all still here.

I am stuck with a decision to make this week and I need some help with the answer.
I was coming down an offramp Monday of this week when some stupid idiot female was STOPPED in the merging lane.:??: I didn't see her stopped until after i was checking for traffic. So after sliding for 75ft or so, I had to steer it either into her, the curb, or the traffic to my right. I chose the curb. :dead: Now, I have 2 bent up stock rims on the driver's side and a front bumper that's knocked loose. :cry: The bumper has since been re-attached and is fine. My next problem has yet to be solved. :ermm:

The car is a 95 Hyundai Accent 3-door and a daily driver (driven VERY HARD daily :devious:) . Question is, can I fit 17's under it without rubbing the tires raw? Are 16's too big? :??: I've read about some using 15s and others using 16s. I would just like an honest opinion before I spend $600-$700 on a set of rims and tires to only find out they will not last more than 3 days.

Any info would be great. :)
I'm having to drive my backup project car until i get the rims and tires....my 63 Bel Air wagon.....10 miles to the gallon....IT SUX ON GAS MILAGE!!!:ermm:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
honestly, go with 15's, they are light weight and good for clearance issues with the wheel well. i always thought about getting 17's, but its just i don't want any problems, so im going to stay below 16, 16 is the highest but anything higher is too much for me, i guess its personal taste. also 15 inch rims has a more wide variety of tires to choose...... im going to get some rota GT3's, black rims with the chrome lip, just make a smart choice of what you like, and also think about performance anytime you make a choice, sorry to hear about the accident, thank god you are ok

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to stick with the 15s also. It seems like the best idea considering how i drive. And from what i've read, i might run into clearance problems with anything higher than that.

Thanks also for the kind words. I'm glad i'm ok too! I'm glad I wasn't able to catch up with that stupid woman!

·
Registered
170 Posts
anyone ever hear of anyone puting 18's on a x3? i have no width isues but not sure if the diameter will be to large :ermm:

·
Registered
886 Posts
If it is anything like the LC I think you could probably fit an 18 on them unless you went really wide the width is what is killing the lc which causes rubbing on the inner part of the wheel well in the rear.

Sorry didn't mean to steal thread, if it is a daily driver I would do 15's with a nice set of tires, that way weater doesn't matter and you don't have to feel every bump in the road.

[Edited by LilTimmy on Jan 12, 2006 6:59 AM]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're not stealing this thread. I won't let you. 8D haha

And I decided after a long drawn-out process that I was going with the 15's and ordered them last night. Though now i've found another pair I think will look better than the ones I found and may cancel the order and get those instead. I'm never going rim shopping ever again. I'm stressed and tired of looking at pictures of rims that won't fit. :??:

I'll update with pix of the new ones when they get here. Shipping time sucks. :|

It will be either these -

or these -

[Edited by djpulse on Jan 12, 2006 7:33 AM]

·
Registered
886 Posts
Depending on your car color I like the top ones, I think wheel shopping is fun I would get a new set every year if I had the money, it does kind of suck that 9 out of 10 wheels I like don't fit my car no matter how much you like your wheels when you put them on and how many people tell you they look nice, you will still want new ones in about a year. Just when you get your new wheels don't do what you did to your stock ones you may be a little more pissed off.(j/p)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by LilTimmy
[body]
Depending on your car color I like the top ones, I think wheel shopping is fun I would get a new set every year if I had the money, it does kind of suck that 9 out of 10 wheels I like don't fit my car no matter how much you like your wheels when you put them on and how many people tell you they look nice, you will still want new ones in about a year. Just when you get your new wheels don't do what you did to your stock ones you may be a little more pissed off.(j/p)
[/body]
Oh trust me, these new rims will be babied for a bit. And it will be a lot better to have 15's instead of the wimpy 13's that are on there now. And my stopping power will be a LOT better. 8D

And I decided to stick with the ones i ordered, which were the lower of the to pictures above. The Accent is white and I can paint the ADRs a bit to give it a custom touch.

·
Registered
886 Posts
good choice the top ones would look nicer on a darker color, and the lower on lighter color. My opionion to each his own I think you made the right choice, let us know how you like them when you get them on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If your interested I have my stock 04 Hyundai rims with tires on them sitting in my garage. Other wise I put 17's on my 04 and the back needs a small camber adjustment. I also put 205/40r tires on there. I think if you went with the 195's you would get away with no rub. If you want stock rims though hit me up. [email protected]

·
Registered
490 Posts
Originally posted by daihard
[body]
anyone ever hear of anyone puting 18's on a x3? i have no width isues but not sure if the diameter will be to large :ermm:
[/body]
KidHyundai did. He had to do some modifiying to the wheel wells though to shoehorn them in :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just to put my 2 cents worth in... I went to 15's and with a quality set of 195/50/15's the difference it made to the cars handling was amazing. I considered 16's, but for the concern of scrubbing and trying to keep the speedo reading accurate with tyre size, I went with the 15's and have never regretted the decision. There is enough wheel/tyre ratio to make a nice neat package without looking overdone. The later models.. Like 2000 onwards get away rather well with 16's I think, as the body shape is a little more aggressive.

I have a set of Speedy mutli spoke wheels on my X3( 15's). I think the spoke style wheels really suit the X3's shape as it breaks up some of the roundess that comes with all X3's.

Happy motoring :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2001 accent and I had 18s on they fit but i lost acceleration I had lots of top end but I wanted acceleration for drag racing so i sold them for 15s with 35 series tires and got a little more acceleration. I guest it what you want. if you want speed go 15s and if want style go with 17s

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have an excel and its got b&g springs which drop it 1.5 inches and im rollin 17s.. of course i have spacers but im downgrading to 16's soon i like the wider tires. like everyone else said here.. its really your own taste.. even though i have spacers sometimes i rub when cornering HARD not much though.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Those wheels are fugly... ugh anyways I'd go with a 15x6.5" wheel, preferably a nice light Rota slipstream or subzero, with 195-50-15 Falken Ziex 512's or something similar. Quiet, better performance, wont rub, and almost as light as stock. Also, slow down, pay more attention, and get better brakes. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
bottom rims..Thumbs up! I think they are a very nice choice ;):

quote : Paige
KidHyundai did. He had to do some modifiying to the wheel wells though to shoehorn them in

when u say shoehorne them in. Is this cause of the overall diameter or do the gaurds need pumping out. reason i ask is if its just width this does not matter as im half way through a widebody kit BUT if its diameter than this would efectivly reduce my turning circle... Whats the lowest profile tyre you can get after all its the profile that determins over all size & tire roll,I thaught it was around 40series but chicks_dig_my_accent said you get 35s.......wouldnt this look funny on 15s, Like their to small for the car. I had 14x65 on previously I'v gon down to 14x60s and think this looks a bit funny the 65s just filled the guards much better.

If I could get 18x35s this should fit nice!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Originally posted by stein36
[body]
If your interested I have my stock 04 Hyundai rims with tires on them sitting in my garage. Other wise I put 17's on my 04 and the back needs a small camber adjustment. I also put 205/40r tires on there. I think if you went with the 195's you would get away with no rub. If you want stock rims though hit me up. [email protected]
[/body]
04' Rims wont fit on a 95' the lug pattern is different. The LC's have a 4x100mm bolt pattern the X's have a 4x114 or 4x113 not sure of exact measurement.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Hector's car (Kid Hyundai) had 18x7 wheels with 215/35/18 tires on it. They are both too wide and too tall, he needed to do a lot of trimming of the fender/bumpers and splash guards were removed to stop rubbing, but even as a hardcore race-only guy I thought they looked pretty bad ass. They were SIMPLE 5spoke wheels btw.

Before you buy wheels, please be aware of the captive rotor issues. Here's what the front hub looks like:

Here's the kind of clearance you need to fit aftermarket rims:
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=58623

They can be cutouts like on the rotas in the above thread or just clearance ports on the mounting side of the wheel (look at a factory Hyundai alloy and they should be clear as day). Without them, aftermarket wheels WILL NOT FIT.

[Edited by skierd on Jan 22, 2006 10:25 PM]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well here is the update.

I finally got them put on last week but work has kept me too busy to sit at my desk. So today I finally get to post up the pix. But now it seems I have a new problem. The new rims and tires ride GREAT but I had to remove the subwoofer box to stop the rear tires from scrubbing so bad :cry:(see below). It still scrubs over large bumps and dips even with the box removed :(. I think it't time for new struts in the rear unless anyone knows how I could LIFT the rear of the vehicle without having to go through all that trouble and money. My wife will have a fit if that's my only option.:dead:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts