Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 5-spd, '02 Accent; with a 1.5L, single overhead cam, SOHC engine. and want to start making some modifications to it. I ambasically trying to get a bit more power in my engine along with some pick-up. Putting a turbo kit in is very tempting but I am not sure as to all that goes into it. I am not even sure if that is where to start. I've heard I can start with a new exhaust system but i am not sure that is all I need for the moment though. What are a few things that I might be able to do to give my car a bit more power and pick-up before I go for a turbo? And if I do go for a turbo will I still be able to adjust the rest of my engine? While these may be broad questions any advice is welcome. I just need a little bit of direction.

Thanks Kid

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
unless you're willing to spend a lot of money, i don't think a turbo sounds good for you. you'd have to buy all of the turbo equipment and a management system, which is all going to come out to a few thousand. look into getting i/h/e aka intake, headers, and exhaust. intakes can be found on ebay for around $30

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I had a 2000 for about 6 months with the 1.5L SOHC. What. A. Dog. The LC is kinda heavy, mine was nearly 2500 pounds (my X3 L model weighed under 2100 pounds with the same engine), and there's not a lot you can do inexpensively to increase power.

A 2" cat-back exhaust would be a good start, and removing the resonator from the front of the airbox. I never found any aftermarket intake to be any real help on my X3, either by putting a filter on the MAF or trying a "real" CAI.

What would you like to eventually do with the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eventually I would like to take it out to the track with my friends every couple months, but really I would just like to enjoy it with a bit more power and pick up. I'm not looking for it to do any really fast times or anything like that, just every now and then when I step on the pedal, I would like some feedback. I'll definitley look into the catback exhaust. I had a friend mention upgrading the throttle body and gear ratios, what do you think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
A Lil More Input From Da Pros

I hope you PRO's outthere are gonna jump on this a little more cause he's not the only one looking for some TUTELAGE AND POINTERS, you kno how us newbies need some direction, so any help guys, websites or anything.
I have an X3 stock and am looking for some power, check me out
Cap's Accent: 1996 Acclaimed Accent * Slow Come Up 2 the Top - Brooklyn, New York
I am making progress, but slowly.

Also guys, what about engine swaps, I want the strongest 4cyl or a small 6cyl, is that possible? And can anyone shed some light, I want to make the swap next year, so i'm chasing down as much info as possible. I WANT A SMALL SIX........OH YEAH, IT HAS TO BE FOR AN AUTOMATIC:)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Da pros says "learn how to drive a stick".

The sonata/tiburon 2.7L V6 is too large for the Accent engine bay. The 2.0 I4 Beta from the Elantra and Tiburon fits, check the hybrid section, but the engine is a dog with an automatic, not to mention Hyundai automatics are terrible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stick, it's for you, that's cool, not everyone with a car.......:cool:

I appreciate the reply, I know stick is faster PERIOD, but, i don't want all of the extra work in my driving experience. I wasn't necessarily speaking of staying with hyundai, IF POSSIBLE, But if so, I believe the tib is the better of the two. A friend told me of his swap from an eclipse.....
Really appreciate your reply, thanx

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I just got a 5-spd, '02 Accent; with a 1.5L, single overhead cam, SOHC engine. and want to start making some modifications to it. I ambasically trying to get a bit more power in my engine along with some pick-up. Putting a turbo kit in is very tempting but I am not sure as to all that goes into it. I am not even sure if that is where to start. I've heard I can start with a new exhaust system but i am not sure that is all I need for the moment though. What are a few things that I might be able to do to give my car a bit more power and pick-up before I go for a turbo? And if I do go for a turbo will I still be able to adjust the rest of my engine? While these may be broad questions any advice is welcome. I just need a little bit of direction.

Thanks Kid
Hi Kid, and welcome to the forums. First off, it'd help the most if you could tell us how much you've set aside for your project. This lets us put together a package for your particular application as well as budget. Right at the beginning, what you aren't looking for is huge power. What you want to be thinking about at this point is the biggest gain per dollar spent.

A few things you should know about performance are:
  • Big HP doesn't equal speed; if you can't put the power to the ground, a thousand horses under the bonnet is pointless unless your project goal is to win only at Dyno comps.
  • Traction is king; being able to turn harder, turn later and brake deeper into a turn than the next guy will put you out ahead. It also allows you to accelerate harder. In this vein, look out for handling modifications before you go into heavy engine modification. Good tyres, a slightly aggressive "street" alignment and a set of not-too-aggressively-valved coilovers do it for everyday driving; you don't want to compromise too much comfort. Likewise, have a good set of brake pads and braided lines; the more power you have the harder you need to be able to stop.
  • Start with the basics; as above, intake, headers and exhaust. I'd go to a high-flowing catalytic convertor as well(flare the exhaust out to a 3.5" cat if you can) and a means of mucking around with your air-fuel ratio's. A larger throttle body and a free-flowing, high quality filter such as a 4" BMC one on a bellmouth leading into the intake is a definite plus.
  • Rotating and unsprung mass are your greatest enemy. Mass in general is your second greatest enemy. Depending on what you want to do with the car, you may want to either shed some weight or at the very least distribute it evenly(a big "pumping" stereo slows you down, and upsets the vehicle dynamics by changing its weight bias)
  • Overall, have a PLAN for the car of your dreams. This is important, because even though few of us have the budget to build our dream cars having a viable plan on paper does save dollars in the long run. There will be points when you need to have a head check and see if you're buying stuff towards the end outcome, or if you're just buying stuff.
I hope you PRO's outthere are gonna jump on this a little more cause he's not the only one looking for some TUTELAGE AND POINTERS, you kno how us newbies need some direction, so any help guys, websites or anything.
I have an X3 stock and am looking for some power, check me out
Cap's Accent: 1996 Acclaimed Accent * Slow Come Up 2 the Top - Brooklyn, New York
I am making progress, but slowly.

Also guys, what about engine swaps, I want the strongest 4cyl or a small 6cyl, is that possible? And can anyone shed some light, I want to make the swap next year, so i'm chasing down as much info as possible. I WANT A SMALL SIX........OH YEAH, IT HAS TO BE FOR AN AUTOMATIC:)
Tone, do not hijack this thread. Start your own, where we can help you with your project specifically.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mechanix. That definitely is a huge starting point for me I have 1,000g right now to spend and will be adding to that throughout the next few months. I am eager to start right away though. I had closer to two grand but I had to get new tires so I upgraded my wheels at the same time. U have to replace my cat by the end of the month for inspections and have been looking for a cat one, but i've only found one type and its an oem. Where can I get a high-flowing cat? And what are some suggestions for my next move? I was thinking the rest of my exhaust system, but without having worked on the intake and what not I'm not sure as to my next step.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Kid, and welcome to the forums. First off, it'd help the most if you could tell us how much you've set aside for your project. This lets us put together a package for your particular application as well as budget. Right at the beginning, what you aren't looking for is huge power. What you want to be thinking about at this point is the biggest gain per dollar spent.

A few things you should know about performance are:
  • Big HP doesn't equal speed; if you can't put the power to the ground, a thousand horses under the bonnet is pointless unless your project goal is to win only at Dyno comps.
  • Traction is king; being able to turn harder, turn later and brake deeper into a turn than the next guy will put you out ahead. It also allows you to accelerate harder. In this vein, look out for handling modifications before you go into heavy engine modification. Good tyres, a slightly aggressive "street" alignment and a set of not-too-aggressively-valved coilovers do it for everyday driving; you don't want to compromise too much comfort. Likewise, have a good set of brake pads and braided lines; the more power you have the harder you need to be able to stop.
  • Start with the basics; as above, intake, headers and exhaust. I'd go to a high-flowing catalytic convertor as well(flare the exhaust out to a 3.5" cat if you can) and a means of mucking around with your air-fuel ratio's. A larger throttle body and a free-flowing, high quality filter such as a 4" BMC one on a bellmouth leading into the intake is a definite plus.
  • Rotating and unsprung mass are your greatest enemy. Mass in general is your second greatest enemy. Depending on what you want to do with the car, you may want to either shed some weight or at the very least distribute it evenly(a big "pumping" stereo slows you down, and upsets the vehicle dynamics by changing its weight bias)
  • Overall, have a PLAN for the car of your dreams. This is important, because even though few of us have the budget to build our dream cars having a viable plan on paper does save dollars in the long run. There will be points when you need to have a head check and see if you're buying stuff towards the end outcome, or if you're just buying stuff.

Tone, do not hijack this thread. Start your own, where we can help you with your project specifically.
My apologies Mechanix and to everyone, still learning how to work in the forum, I thank you for your input and will try to think before I speak next time, very sorry guys..................Tone

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Thanks mechanix. That definitely is a huge starting point for me I have 1,000g right now to spend and will be adding to that throughout the next few months. I am eager to start right away though. I had closer to two grand but I had to get new tires so I upgraded my wheels at the same time. U have to replace my cat by the end of the month for inspections and have been looking for a cat one, but i've only found one type and its an oem. Where can I get a high-flowing cat? And what are some suggestions for my next move? I was thinking the rest of my exhaust system, but without having worked on the intake and what not I'm not sure as to my next step.
You can find a highflowed cat through either Catco or Metalcat. You'll basically be paying for flanges, welding and fitment. However, note that you may trigger CEL's(or Check Engine Lights) by fitting one, which is why I would recommend that you invest in a means of changing your air-fuel ratios. You will require this modification to take advantage of everything you do as a whole.

However, what I would recommend the most at this point is to take a step back and save up for the next few months(while not buying anything) Read these forums and look out for things you like. Have a look at how the people here, past and present, have modified their cars. Then, think about what you want to do with your car, keeping in mind that everyone modifies for different reasons(ie. I re-built mine to compete in Club Sprints, not to drive on the street and look good)

This is the most important thing; to get a fixed set of constraints down before beginning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts