Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, friday I called the dealership as the outer axle boots offered at the local auto parts stores were those cheap ass hell looking "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" CRAP!

They tell me it costs around $600+ for the CV boots, EACH!

You see, they do not offer the CV for the Elantra as a replacement part, SO YOU HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE FRICKING AXLE ASSEMBLY JUST TO GET THE TORN BOOT REPLACED!

What is up with that crap?!?!

THAT'S LIKE MAKING ME BUY A NEW ENGINE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT OFFER SPARK PLUGS???

I would think there were more than enough Elantras sold here to make it a needed part!

Makes me want to go to the dealership late at night, pull a couple axles off a new Elantra and leave mine sitting on the friggen hood!

Anyone know of some decent quality replacement parts available?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,351 Posts
I just bought two new axles for my car from my local parts whearhouse. $54 each plus tax. Dont know what your complaining about.. why the hell would you ever go to the dealer other than to purchase a car?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,330 Posts
dealership's are for dumb people..

local auto parts know better and are stocked better..

I've had very good experience with carquest..they even carry oem korean part's for my accent..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,330 Posts
RED02GT said:
So, friday I called the dealership as the outer axle boots offered at the local auto parts stores were those cheap ass hell looking "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" CRAP!

They tell me it costs around $600+ for the CV boots, EACH!

You see, they do not offer the CV for the Elantra as a replacement part, SO YOU HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE FRICKING AXLE ASSEMBLY JUST TO GET THE TORN BOOT REPLACED!

What is up with that crap?!?!

THAT'S LIKE MAKING ME BUY A NEW ENGINE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT OFFER SPARK PLUGS???

I would think there were more than enough Elantras sold here to make it a needed part!

Makes me want to go to the dealership late at night, pull a couple axles off a new Elantra and leave mine sitting on the friggen hood!

Anyone know of some decent quality replacement parts available?
yeah, it's capitalism..unless i have to get the exact oem part that's not available anywhere i go to the dealership

but there are good dealership's..and bad dealership's that try to sell you something that's outrageously priced for a pure purpose.

sorry for the twin post though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is I hit up several parts stores in my area and the only ones carried, or if not, can be ordered, are the same, scary looking thin, trim to fit, one size fits all, nasty style of clamp, crap ones offered every where else.

And I do not need the whole axle just to replace the boot.

I did quite a few when I turned a wrench for a living and did them myself on every car I owned that needed one.

And as for dealership parts, if there are no aftermarket ones that are either available or of decent quality, I will pay a higher price for a hard to find part if I have to, but I do look else where first just to see what is out there.

The one stock CV boot that broke lasted over 100,000 miles and the other is still in one piece, but I want to replace them both at the same time just to be sure.

Still on the stock, from when purchased new, clutch as well.

Any leads on a set of decent outer CV boots?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
of course they are 600$ each, they are getting you to pay them to rebuild the axle, when i bet they are just going to buy one from napa for a couple of bucks and not actually do the work. go somewhere else, and tell them you consult with friends that aren't retarded before spending money on your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Removing an axle is easy. And you get the satisfaction of knowing you have new universal joints in there as well. It's not worth the time to spend replacing the boot when you can get a whole new axle and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,351 Posts
Oh, and umm.. if a CV boot is torn that gives the possiblity of debris getting into the bearings and ujoints in there. Why wouldnt you replace the CV joint!? Its just going to fail later on.. They are cheap too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
just replace the axle, you'll get $$$ back from the old one when you take it back for the "core return". if you don't want to swap it out, certainly you have some friends you can count on to get it done for some beers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wilburisthecoolest said:
Oh, and umm.. if a CV boot is torn that gives the possiblity of debris getting into the bearings and ujoints in there. Why wouldnt you replace the CV joint!? Its just going to fail later on.. They are cheap too.
And do you know what they do to "rebuild" them?
Wash it off with solvent, look for any serious damage and regrease them.:rolleyes:

Minor damage, like when they run dry and start clicking, is cured by adding grease to quiet them up!:eek:

You never know what you will get back!:confused:

Mine are a known quantity and the grit in there will take a while to tear them up and mine just tore so any damage is almost nil, and I know they were not run to the point of "clicking".:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
RED02GT said:
And do you know what they do to "rebuild" them?
Wash it off with solvent, look for any serious damage and regrease them.:rolleyes:

Minor damage, like when they run dry and start clicking, is cured by adding grease to quiet them up!:eek:

You never know what you will get back!:confused:

Mine are a known quantity and the grit in there will take a while to tear them up and mine just tore so any damage is almost nil, and I know they were not run to the point of "clicking".:D
They have to replace the bearings in the joint or the joint itself. A company that remans the units will quickly get sued if they just regreased them without changing parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,351 Posts
cclngthr said:
They have to replace the bearings in the joint or the joint itself. A company that remans the units will quickly get sued if they just regreased them without changing parts.
Yeah.. im pretty sure that a company isnt going to be that dull, or have to rebuild THAT many CV axles to have to do it that fast to get them in and out. If they make cheap parts, who wants to buy them.

Mine were rebuilds yes, but they are really nice. Fresh paint, and new boots and wicked looking clamps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn!!!

Youre better than those parts guys at the dealership!
I'll have the boss (AKA wife) order them for next weekend!

The diff between a boss and employer?
The employer gives you a paycheck.
The boss is the one who you go home to at night and you give the paycheck to!

rocconi said:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
CV boots are available at your dealership.. I put two on under warranty last month. They aren't looking up the right parts.. Have to get parts for the half shaft not the full shaft..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
CV boots

Sorry to chime in late. Ive replaced several outer boots. It is very difficult to get stock ones, but you dont really want to use stock ones because they only have 3 pleats. The idea is to get boots that have 5 or more pleats making them more flexible and less likely to tear. Ive discovered a replacement univeral boot either at Advance or Autozone, that is a solid boot, but has multiple pleats, in addition to being thinner and softer rubber. I have 2 of these boots on 2 of my cars and am really happy with the results. I would be glad to send you a closeup picture. The axles arent hard to take apart and do a boot replacement. Dont pay 600.00!!!!!!!! These boots are 10.00 and they come with clamps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
wrenchnbench said:
Sorry to chime in late. Ive replaced several outer boots. I would be glad to send you a closeup picture. The axles arent hard to take apart and do a boot replacement. Dont pay 600.00!!!!!!!! These boots are 10.00 and they come with clamps.

Sure, I would love to see the pictures.

Like I said, the stock ones on my axles lasted over 100,000 miles, so I would hope that the next ones would last that long.

I also need to upgrade the front brakes and have thought about going with the one listed using Tiburon rotors and calipers, but would like to see it in person first before investing in the parts.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top