Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got into my 2000 Elantra this afternoon....start it up.....back up some to clear car in front of me......put in drive, nothing. It backs up in reverse fine...I can even feel it catch something going from R-N-D.....even jumps a bit........but give it gas and it jus revs up. This has been a week from hell. Earlier this week........driving along and it started missing really bad......CEL flashing........code said #2 cylinder was missing......set of new wires..runs like a champ. Anybody ever have this happen? ATF Fluid is fine...up to the mark.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's the fun of automatic transmissions: when they die all of a sudden, they aren't as polite as standards, which give you notice like ugly noises or holes in the case or something. There's about a jillion parts in an auto that can break...

Was it making any noises or shifting funny going forward before?

Does the car go if you put it in 1 or 2?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Signs

No signs were given.......no slipping, no noises, no leaks. Just like the broken ignition wire earlier this week, running great and then BOOM. I just wish this is going to as an easy of a fix. No forward movement in 1-2-D.....like I mentioned before......all the reverse you could ask for....and even if you shift from reverse to D..it will feel like it catches for a sec.....and then nothing, just revs up with no forward movement.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You got gremlins man.

The only thing I can think of is to double-check all the electrical connections on the transaxle (there are like 5-7 connectors) and make sure they are all on there and making good contact, not corroded or anything.

After that, pull the pan off the bottom of the transaxle. You may have a few unpleasant little surprises stuck to the magnets in there like I did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow

As things work out .........this morning it wants to act as if nothing is wrong. It's on it's way to the dealership to get flushed. I was not someone you wanted to be around this weekend with this on my mind. I had gone over the 30k trans flush by 10k........you can bet it's going to be on the list now. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Can't fix working.

Fluid changes: unless you do them at like 10,000 miles you might as well do them every 40 or 50k. The fluid burns fast in our cars... because the fluid cooler is not up to the task. Get an aftermarket cooler and you'll be surprised how much longer the fluid stays red (not burnt)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again

It did it again.....got it towed to the dealer....no codes. So I said "muck it", traded it in on a 09 Elantra 5 speed. I just love that XM radio.......now, I need to figure out a hack for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts