Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Elantra GLS 1.8L it shift just fine with overdrive turned off, if you turn the overdrive on as soon as it hits the overdrive gear, it just revs and does not catch at all. Suggestions?

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
From my limited experience with electronic OD cars (sentra/maxima), it sounds like teh actual gear is not engaging, sometimes due to return springs (sentra) failing or the little balls in the valve body are clogged/missing. It could be as easy as the solenoid on the valve body not operating, and the computer trying to "shift" it based on the switch position. The old TCM's rarely had feedback from the tranny itself, so it could just be doing it's job without knowing that it can't.

In any case, as with all my automatic car problems, I waited until the tranny blew up to either throw out the car (maxima - as it would have been prohibitively expensive to repair) or drop $75 and convert the ****er to a manual, as in my late '87 beater pony... also the blue pony was once an auto, but it's melted down for slag by now... :depressed:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts