Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive been having this same problem for a while now thats been puzzling my local mechanic. About 3 years ago i took the car off the road to put in a new engine, nothing fancy just an exact replacement for the one that was already in it; the 1.5l 12v SOHC. I did the work myself and finished successfully checking all my wire connections. I was confindent it would just start right up but it didnt. Took it to my mechanic who it was the ECU due to the fact that I had no CEL, no spark and when I turned the key to on there was no fuel pump whirr that i remember there being b4, the car will crank all day long but will not catch. so i sent out the ECU to b rebuilt got it back a few weeks later all fixed up and when i put it back in the car, no difference. My mechanic has now been blowing me off ever since it got to this point and im tired of driving by there everyday seeing it sit there and not being able to drive it.

im assuming if there is no CEL than that means sum how the ECU isnt getting power but i checked fuses and tons of wires for continuity which they all have so would it b worth getting the crank position sensor? because besides the previous engine being blown the car ran fine, even the day i pulled it in to the garage to start the work it ran. someone help me! i have a feeling that my mechanic is not going to do anything still so if anyone has any info that could be helpful to me please repost!!!

oh btw everything else electrical in the car works no problem, all interior lights, headlights, radio, everything but the **** engine is working right now!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
In my experience the headlights DO NOT work if the ECU has no power. So I want to say that part of your ECU connection is correct and that the problem is somewhere else.

·
Registered
332 Posts
now when you checked the fuses did you just pull and viually inspect or did you use a test lamp to check for proper power on both sides of the fuse.

recheck all ground wires for proper operation check all fuses with test lamp under hood in PDC and under dash in fuse block. if the crankshaft position sensor was bad you would still get fuel so disconnect the fuel pump connector on top of gas tank and check for proper power and ground going to fuel pump.

is the engine used, remanufactured, or new

if it is used via junk yard try replacing the spark plugs and wires never good to use stock ones in used engine. while you are changing plugs check for proper spark from the plugs

·
Registered
737 Posts
make sure the battery has good power

I had enough power to crank mine over but not enough to pull a good 10 volts for the ecu. Not enough power to the ecu will cause no spark and not fuel. If it has been sitting for awhile this might be worthwhile to check out.

repeating people before, check your grounds, for your battery, fuse box, engine... this can definately affect quite a bit.

If you were getting spark but no fuel i'd say to check your fuel pump relay since i've had problems in the past with mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their quick responses!

What i've gathered so far from everyones posts is that I should check all the ground points for solid connection so I've gone ahead and printed out a ground schematic from the Hyundai online service manual among a few other things such as ECU wiring, crankshaft position sensor, and others and took them to my mechanic. I have an appointment to go in a help him work on it this saturday so I will definetly be going over all the things you guys listed. I will keep the thread updated with my progress till I solve the problem so thanks again!

And anyone else who has an ideas they would like to contribute feel free because I know how complex electrical problems can be. :p

EDIT: The replacement engine was purchased from an online salvage company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, now this is really bugging me, I checked every wire in the car pretty much and then tested for continuity, every fuse dealing with the ECU has continuity except ecu2, and ecu3. Does this mean my ECU is bad? everything else seems to work except the ECU. If anyone knows anything about this problem please let me know what to do!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
what is the exact vehicle year model etc

are there any stored or active dtc's present in any of the cars control modules
if you have power even though the vehicle will not start you may still have codes

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you've checked all power supply lines and grounds. You should try to check your ECU inside for bad soldering or water...Does your car has an immo? Maybe it is your problem?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Test your fuel pump following the procedures in the service manual.
Test for spark if you have not.
Then go through the diagnostic procedures in the service manual for when the engine will not start.

I had a similar problem with the same symptoms in my 1.6l DOHC and it turned out to be the camshaft position sensor, so that's another possibility. The general rule is that the ECU is the last place you look. They're pretty durable. They do occasionally go out but it's a lot more likely that it's something else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok, i replaced the camshaft position sensor, and crankshaft position sensor so im pretty sure they are ok, fuel pump is not kicking on when i turn the key to on but im not entirely sure how to check it, i used a spare ignition coil i have for the car which i know to be working and still no difference, I was told by my mechanic a while back that the ECU was bad and i sent it out to be fixed and when i got it back it still didnt work so im thinking that they either didnt fix the ECU for me or theres something im overlooking, i was thinking about taking the ECU somewhere to be tested just to make sure its not that before i go ne farther with this because the last thing i wanna do is dish out a load of cash for something that isnt the problem. Ill look into testing the fuel pump and post my findings.

thank you everyone for your help so far, I will figure this out :)

EDIT could the engine control relay have anything to do with this problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the fuel pump as the service manual stated and found that when i connect the fuel pump strait to the battery it still doesnt work, would the fuel pump not working cause the rest of my probs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im very happy to say that I found the problem and fixed the damn thing! I rechecked all the ECU power wires and found one that had no continuity (ECU3) so i cut the wire on both sides and then replaced it and the car fired right up so thanks to all who helped me, I really appreciate it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts