Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1997 Tiburon FX that's been standing idle for a few months. I had it turning over fine back in July, but I tried jumping it this week and there seems to be no power reaching the starter. Checked out the clutch switch, there's no sign of corrosion and the button moves freely. Likewise, the clutch pedal engages the switch fine. There's no sign of burning on what I believe to be the starter fuse (A black block with three pins labeled starter on the fuse cover).
Lastly, the wiring has not been tampered with since it was working fine back in July.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
464 Posts
No power to the starter, meaning, you put a volt meter on the wire on the starter and a good ground like the engine block, put jumper cables on the battery, and turned the key, and no electricity was present at the starter? Could be a fuse or faulty, loose, or rat-eaten wiring.

If you were trying to jump-start the car because the battery didn't have any juice in it, do this: Take the battery to the local auto parts store and have them test it. It will be dead. They will sell you another one. Then drain the gas tank, get some fuel injection system cleaner and put some fresh gas in the tank, with the cleaner. If your fuel pump wasn't spraying bad gas through the injectors, you may not have to get a new fuel filter, fuel pump strainer, and clean the injectors. If you got the smell of gas after you tried starting the car and/or heard the fuel pump and injectors running you might have some difficulties ahead.

You're not supposed to let a car sit for half a year without running.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts