Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i have a major problem and cannot seem to figure this out so maybe some help. a buddy of mine and me put some headers in my car the other night. now it was a nightmare for a few different reasons but we finally got it on. after all this i went to crank it up to here it roar and to my luck it didnt start. it cranks over fine but for some reason its not getting spark. we checked the obvious things such as grounds and fuses. so we went on to the bigger things such as ignition coil and crank sensor. neither one of those was the problem. so im completly stumped. i have asked a couple friends of mine that are mechanics and they told me to check the same things that i already check. please tell me there is something i am over looking any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You likely dislodged a sensor or connection.

Start with:
Coil pack connections:
Cam sensor connection and function
Crank sensor connection and function

report back when done these 3. I assume this is for the 2001 Tib as listed in your profile?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah we checked everything its in a shop right now they told me they can't find anything wrong with it its weird

i honestly think its the ecm but what do you think?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Doubtful its ECU unless you shorted a circuit and fried it which I doubt.

Engine needs crank or cam pos sensor, TPS, maf and 1 o2 to run. Crank or cam are critical for startup.

If its at the shop, they should find it fast - I am interested to see the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah they could not find anything at the shop they told me they checked everything from relays to fuses they said they couldn't find one thing wrong im getting it towed first thing tomorrow morning to a different shop and maybe they can find the problem

now you said it needed an o2 sensor to run euggg well when we were changing it we put a universal one on the front and the back ones clip melted because it want zip tied you think that might have something to do with it?
also does the crank sensor have to be top dead center when you put a new one? i didn't think so because the sensor is magnetic

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
now you said it needed an o2 sensor to run euggg well when we were changing it we put a universal one on the front and the back ones clip melted because it want zip tied you think that might have something to do with it?
No, it will run with no O2's but will check engine instantly and will run very poorly.

also does the crank sensor have to be top dead center when you put a new one? i didn't think so because the sensor is magnetic
No, the sensor is not movable or positionable.

Take the car to the dealer. "the shop" is a waste of money. The do not have the knowhow or the tools to do the job right.
Heck, I know a tech that would hook up the scanner and have this likely narrowed down to 1 or 2 items in about 15 minutes.

-Grimmy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really 15 mins geez i need his number. well this shop that its going to today is a bigger shop in arlington and supposedly he has all the "up to date" equipment so im hoping he can find the problem today. if not the dealership is right up the road i have just hesitated to take it there since its a little more pricey than the shops.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
yeah... 15 mins.. I forgot to say that he's the #1 Hyundai tech in Canada and the #2 Hyundai tech in the world. Plus the handheld helps - but the now use a tablet which apparently is a bit better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ha yeah i wish he lived closer...anyways im supposed to check in later at the shop and they should know whats wrong so ill let you know im sure your just as interested as i am to find out whats wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just keeping you updated they changed the coil pack which i already knew was bad and they said that they think the coil pack being bad may have messed up the cam sensor so they are changing that today. but besides that they havent found anything else on the computer. he said he thinks its my alarm if its not the cam sensor. no idea how its not a factory alarm its aftermarket

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just letting you know they got it up and running. it was the cam sensor all along. thats what we thought from the beginning but couldnt find it. thanks for all your help though

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 1998 hyundai lan , and i cant seem to find out wats wrong with it , it will start and drive and then when you try to start it 10 mins later it wont start , it was,nt getting any spark , so i changed the coil pack ,leads pugs, crank shaft sen , cam shaft sen and it still doing it , all wires and fuses been check, it will start every so offent and runs fine any help ??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts