Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay doods. bretton, you said the wrc accent has a 35mm(you think) restrictor. i asume this means that ther is a part in the itake somwhere with a hole 35mm diameter that all the air has to go thrugh.
now i was thinking doing something like that would badly restrict the air, thus keeping the exhaust a little more quiet by retricting the amount of air (and fuel) to be burnt(coz i suspect at high revs is its gona be a little louder than legal) and a restrictor would be easy to put in and take out and impossible to detect. so i could use it just for the engineering tests then take it out. and excluding the possability of passing the police at 7000rpm, nobody be any the wiser...
good idea? or bad?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mup, itll strangle the engine and the energy being converted to noise will remain about the same.

Your best bet is to modify the exhaust system to quiten it down. If you have an exhaust system built with flanges, what Ive done is have a "special section" that is usually straight pipe, and a "yellow canary" section that is full of baffles and steel wool. I got a measured 14DB drop under the standard noise test procedure with this home made jobby.

[Edited by Bathrone on Sep 22, 2004 3:51 AM]

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Wired one

The air restrictor on WRC cars has to be placed somewhere before the turbo inlet.It is there to limit the amount of power these WRC cars can make, rather than nosie levels.

If you are worried about the noise levels your car is making, which end are you concerned about.

If it is the induction noise as the air is being sucked in through the air filter, place the air filter in an enclosure. A pod filter just sitting in the engine bay, or behind the front bar or in a wheel arch will almost always be too loud.

If it is the blow off valve that is too loud, fit a plumb-back type to direct the air (and noise) back into the air intake and not into the atmosphere.

If your exhaust is too loud, then you need to add a resonator or a different muffler. Exhausts do not need to be loud to be free flowing. It is still possible to have a free flowing exhaust that makes good power and is still within legal noise limits.

Simply fitting some kind of air restrictor before the turbo won't do much to reduce noise, but will certainly limit the amount of power you car makes.

Cheers

Bretton
www.PerformanceStylingCentre.com.au

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i noticed that when i fitted a pod filter to the engine(otherwise standard) it made it noticably louder(exhaust) i asume the reverse will have the oppisite effect, but im not sure...
i want a temparary solution. it not much louder than standard at idle and low revs, but its moderatly loud at high revs. and i want to tampararily keep it quiet without having to make any modifiations that that are hard to change back. the easiest way i can think of is a restrictor in the intake.

[Edited by wired_one on Sep 22, 2004 4:23 AM]

·
Registered
291 Posts
intake restriction won't do anything for exhaust noise levels, just bugger up overall performnce-maybe spend some extra wonga and get a removable section of exaust with a couple of inline hotdogs (resinators)
starting after the cat and finishing befor the rear axle so you can remove it on jack stands. I know its a bit of extra stuffing around but you can put the louder, higher performance piping on for drags or track days and then swap it for the daily driving, police friendly pipes during the week for heading off to the shops and stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts