Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever do an engine from a different manufacturer? Say sr20, or ca18, or vq....or maybe an LS swap or something of the sort? Seeing as how other cars have such swaps regularly i thought id ask to see if anybody here has done it. im planning a project for 2 or 3 years down the road....something truely unique. Yes i know the work involved, frame re-enforcing, custom wiring, custom mounts, custom driveshaft and all that wonderfulness. IM mostly curious about the fitment, how much room is in there for what engine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
There's a Mitsubishi Evo 8+ *dunno the exact year* in the ASE that has a LS1 engine installed into it... You can actually check that car out on YouTube or on Streetfire. A lot of people have done the 4G63 engine swap and have gotten great numbers, mainly beacuse the Beta and the 4G63 are really similar in size and shape.

With the proper gear, I'm sure you can swap any drivetrain and power plant into any car. Maybe you should look into getting a SR26DET into a project Hyundai. I've never seen, nor heard of a swap like that. You might even be able to salvage the AWD drivetrain if you shorten the driveshaft.

Howie~

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asian_907 said:
There's a Mitsubishi Evo 8+ *dunno the exact year* in the ASE that has a LS1 engine installed into it... You can actually check that car out on YouTube or on Streetfire. A lot of people have done the 4G63 engine swap and have gotten great numbers, mainly beacuse the Beta and the 4G63 are really similar in size and shape.

With the proper gear, I'm sure you can swap any drivetrain and power plant into any car. Maybe you should look into getting a SR26DET into a project Hyundai. I've never seen, nor heard of a swap like that. You might even be able to salvage the AWD drivetrain if you shorten the driveshaft.

Howie~
Its a long ways off but its been something ive been thinking about since i got my elantra. Im an engineering major so things like that interest me lol. Ive already done an sr swap...well take out and put in a new one, in a 240...and helped my friend with an rb25 into his 240, and seen a LS1 swap into a 240. The sr into the 240 is butt **** straight forward but the others that people claim are a total pain, including the ls seemed to me very straight forward. It just seemed to me that they were looking at everything on too large of a scale...but if you take each part and look at what you have to do to it individually its nothing super complicated. The hardest thing really..if you ask me...is finding a reliable welder, even part fabrication is easier.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had an RX-2 ( about 170 HP )in a really stock looking Chevette once and had a blast embarrassing BMWs and Mercedes. I was racing and beating a BMW on the highway and about 95 or so and saw a cop ahead. He had a choice of stopping the Beemer or a Chevette, guess who he chose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well somebody i know is trying to put a 350 chevy engine into her kia rio...i told her if she does it i'll put an sr into my accent....may end up doing it a little earlier if she succeeds at her endevor.

Only thing is..brakes? If i can get elantra brakes it should be adequate for day to day driving....but definitely not enough for hard driving....what brake swap options are there...or is the only hope aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Okie

4agze
3sgte
Sr20det
Mazda 3FE

Those are the Best bang for buck(and are readily avalible) as they are already Forged and you can pick them up for a Few hundred bucks, but to rebuild these motor's back upto the STOCK Strengh will cost you a Few THOUSAND Bucks. I might drop in a 4agze take Of S/C and Turbo. there are plenty of parts stil avalible for this engine as all 4age and 4age 20Vparts will fit and any age gearbox will work..

Yes i would Love a Evo6+ Spec engine 4G63T but 1) the engine cost way to much and they are like hens teeth, plus the Spars would cost a **** load...

·
Registered
687 Posts
The 4G63 engine isn't very expensive...

I really don't know where people are getting that idea. For the best bang for the buck, the Nissan SR engines are pretty cheap and boost well, Honda engines are like legos and be pushed pretty hard for cheap also.

You can buy wrecked DSM for 500 and strip everything off for a full drivetrain conversion... I bought a full long block 4G63 with a fresh rebuild for 1,500 w/out shipping. I think that's pretty good personally.

Any updates on your swap options?

Howie`

1 - 8 of 8 Posts