Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have an SAFC-II and my fuel mixture is to lean, so will octane boost help with this until i can get an SAFC-II

·
Registered
686 Posts
don't those electric turbo's create more restriction, thus losing hp?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't know what you have been reading but octain levels don't decide weather or not you will run lean.
I see what your idea is tho.
what my friend did when he turboed (real turbo not e-turbo) his civic was he kept it at a low boost that showed on his Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge that he wasn't running lean, until he was able to get a vafc.
If you have a Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge and it is showing that you are always running lean I would suggest keeping the car in the garage until you get a safc2 or figure out the problem.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
It will still be lean, but the fuel will be less likely to spontaneously combust while the piston is still moving up.

However, read the back of the bottom on how much that stuff actually boosts the octane rating. Without it you will have 93, with it I think you can make 93.4 or something like that. It doesn't change it by much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't those electric turbo's create more restriction, thus losing hp?
It doesnt restrict the air flow. my filter is below the transmission, and it takes forever to get the rpms up, so i have the e-turbo in it to reduce this, it works up to 4 thousands rpms, and after that the air spins it even faster, and if its off the air spins it as well and it creates more air velocity, i thought it was dumb as well. but thought i'd try it, its not much gain, but its still some. turbo kits are well out of my price range, so im just doing little stuff now.

·
Registered
686 Posts
well, if there is in fact a gain, more power to ya ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I really dont understand why people wont even try e-turbos, they're cheap and it cant hurt to try. what do you got to lose?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Money, loss of respect, and a bunch of electrons that could have gone to better use.

E-turbos do not spin fast enough to supply an already efficient air pump with any extra air. This comes down to... if a 10 dollar fan would increase engine horsepower they would already be installed on every car on the road. If the air moving past it is causing it to spin that is slowing air down, not speeding it up.

12vlt systems do not supply an electric motor with enough power to spin the fan like a turbo. Maybe with some sort of crazy capacitor setup that would only be good for short bursts.. kinda like nitrous. Wait until they start running 42vlt systems. Maybe then will an E-turbo be viable.

Any idea on how much power it takes to create boost? Add a supercharger to the top of an engine and it will "eat" 25% of the power it makes just to spin the basturd. A turbo uses the vast amount of thermal energy wasted moving through the exhaust stream.

Did you know you car really produces about 3 times the horsepower you see at the flywheel? But wait that doesn't sound right. Where is the power going? Heat released out of the exhaust, via the coolant, into the air, to fight against the "drag" of the piston on its way down that is currently pulling in air (aka pumping loss), to fight inertia, etc. Alot of power is moving through that exhaust pipe and that is how a turbo can spin to 100,000+ rpm to create meaningful boost.

Your dinky e-fan.. not going to do it. If you feel power? Great, glad you like it. People also feel power with ebay "chips", running high octane fuel in a car designed for 85, and I have even heard it about adding a wing...... I would honestly say those ubersparkplugs I see being advertised everywhere have a much better chance at creating horsepower than a fish tank bubble maker that someone put in a pipe and slapped a BOOST sticker on.

If you really believe what the manufacturer tells you without doing any research, I have some emails to forward you from some guys saying their pills make your wang bigger. :rolleyes:

/rant

·
Registered
686 Posts
ding ding ding, knock out!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey!

The E-Turbos are actually quite useful! I bought a used one off a Honda guy, and I put it into my little compartment that I rest my elbow on between the seats, and it definitely makes the airfresher go EVERYWHERE in the car! Also, if I'm really nifty and bored, I could cut a big chunk out of the container cover, line it with mesh and put some cloth covering over it to cool off my arm while I cruiiise!

Howie~

·
Registered
502 Posts
well a long time ago when i believed the e-turbo thing i was so thrilled i was going to set it up like a boost button. yeah same guy ruining peoples hopes and dreams with something called the truth, and damn it hurts when you know you waisted your money.

I didn't want to believe it so i took it to my friend and he laughed at me.:(
I think I threw my e-turbo away.
I will soon regain respect with a real turbo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts