Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Octane Grade on the XG350
Manual states: 87 Minimum (91 Research).
I’m just wondering what gas octane everyone here put in their XG350. I have been filling my XG with 87. I’m thinking about filling it with 89 just to be safe.
8D

·
Registered
89 Posts
i use 87 aways have always will; I still think its all the same stuff :paranoid: Lets put some Cam2 115 octane in it and see what it does? hehe:evil:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used the 89 and 93 octain as well as the 87 and even 85 in the west. I really can't say that there is a dimes worth of difference in any of them. In fact, I think I got my best milage from the 87 octain. I did notice a very slight performance difference in the 93 but not enough to make it affordable.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
only change the octane rating you put in your gas tank if you get a pinging noise.
other than that ONLY use what is stated unless you just want to waste money

grey smoke coming out of your muffler from putting in 87 octane?
i don't think so

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use 89 octane from Shell and I noticed a big difference in gas mileage. I used to get about 20 mpg now I get about 23-25.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I've been a shell/Texaco Member since 1992,
it's all i ever been using in my vehicles and i have never seen a problem with them,

My XG Use's and alway's will use regular Unleaded..it save's money
Putting a high octane gasoline won't make much difference..it just waste's your money if you ask me..

at first when i bought the car..i though it needed the good stuff..but the manul state's"Reg Unleaded"

some cheap gas may be a bargain..but you never now what they can do to your engine
:smoking:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I own a Sonata. My car is supposed to take 87 Octane as well. I recently switched to 89 and have noticed I'm now getting 2-2.5 MPG more than I was with 87.

·
Registered
1 Posts
only change the octane rating you put in your gas tank if you get a pinging noise.
other than that ONLY use what is stated unless you just want to waste money

grey smoke coming out of your muffler from putting in 87 octane?
i don't think so
You can't know because you've never seen their car in action. If the engine has a ton of crap in it, like sludge & such, then the compression goes up & a higher octane gas is required. Or they had a bunch of crap in their tank, or they're burning oil, etc. Etc. Which is quite literally common knowledge. They might have mistakenly watched the startup emissions & took that as an indicator of engine health & prematurely changed the octane level to compensate. All of our XG's do that at start up, until the cats get hot. I've dabbled with octane levels and also found the tiniest increase in performance at high speeds over 87. Gas milage was about 1mpg better at first. Mine is the 2002 XG350L btw, with only 74,200miles on it. Mine only complaints about the car is that there are no bolt on body kits still being made here or in Korea (there were, but they're all sold out) , my Trans fluid pump is whining it's head off & needs replaced, and that they changed the location of the trans filter from being on top of the trans to being behind the pump which is completely unacceptable & requires at least $1k of labor (often) to change a $20 filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts