Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys and Girls,

I have a 1997 Accent GT Manual and when I am driving slow, like in first gear especially (and this is not aLL the time it is loud) I can hear this grinding, almost like a something metal is rubbing against something else metal that might be warped..Now, the sound is not brakes as they were just done...I am thinking clutch or tranny!! Any ideas? The sound is always kind of there, but as the car gets really warm or if I am on the highway it is not as prodominant!

Thanks in Advance

-TJ

[Edited by accentguru on Feb 8, 2006 5:51 PM]

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, but I got to thinking last night...it could be the wheel hub/bearings as well couldnt it? Especially since it is prodominant at really slow speeds...like 10-20km's

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what someone else suggested (TOB = Throw Out Bearing?)
Is this something you can fix at home?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
hmm, well TOB usually only make noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in, so im not too sure that would be it. Might be some differential issues, or input shaft bearing issues.

Now does it make this noise at idle at all? Does it increase with engine speed? Might even be some other bearing like a water pump bearing making the noise...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did change the water pump in July so I guess it is possible they used a crap part...No, it does not make it at idle OR when the clutch is pushed in. That is why I ruled out the clutch in the beginning. I was thinking transmission although there is no other signs it is going bad. (at least I dont think there is). If it was the water pump, would I not hear that grind even at idle every once and a while? Or does the water pump only come into play when I Am driving...?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Is that the same for push and pull type PPs? My Nissan’s TOB would scream like a banshee just before it died and it never made a sound with the pedal down. Only when driving. Those noises came completely at random. :ermm:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
well regardless of push or pull type actuation, they are not the constant engagement type bearings, they are only loaded when driven into the pressure plate. Some cars do use constant engagement bearings, not hyundais as far as i know especially not accents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts