Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright to start off I have a 96 Accent 1.5L SOHC. My issue is that at a cold start up I have more power then when the engine warms up.

Whilst accelerating in 2nd and holding constant possition on the petal I get a noticable increase in acceleration just above 3200rpm. (noticlablle in that I get pushed back in my set VS pre 3200rpm operation where acceleration is less). This happens in all gears until the car is warm then I loose that little boost in acceleration and the power curve levels out.

Anyone got any idea why this is happening. Or better yet how to keep it happening at all engine temps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Not sure since it is a car and all cars have that difference with them. I do know that Hyundai's run real rich more so than they should. It could be too that while the engine is cold the air going into the engine is also cold and once it warms up under the hood the air is warmer and losses it's density. Colder air has more O2 than warm air.

I get wierd thing like that as well. i'm boosting 5 psi on my car and when I full throttle it it sorta boggs...but when I leave it at 80%-84% throttle the car pushes me back pretty hard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a cold air intake might help?
Also do you know how to stop the car from running rich?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think this would be the computer in the car turning to closed loop once the car is warmed up. Most computer controlled cars have a warm up (open loop) mode where more fuel is used to aid in warming up the engine. After warm up it switches to use less fuel (closed loop). This is to aid in fuel consumption, where in most cases people are happier with the less fuel they burn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Isn't that what those crappy eBay resistors people sell do to your car? Makes it think its still cold so keeps dumping the fuel? I'd imagine that would cause some damage in the long run.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's dangerous to push a cold car though...

The viscosity of the oil is affected greatly. Especially if you're in sub freezing temperatures and running a completly cold engine. The best performance is always done when the engine is completly warm. Usually, rule of thumb, your 3rd run on at the track is the best lap.

Howie~

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No big deal Just didn't know what the heck was going on. I do let my car warm up usually by sometimes I jump right on the highway, and the on ramp is where I notice the difference. Don't worry I love my car to much to push it that hard to often;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts