Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Elantra that so far has had no problems for the 18 months I have owned it. I have done all the maintenance on it...oil changes.....plugs. In the last three months it has developed a mild stumble when at stop lights........no real frequency to it......comes and goes. I checked all hoses and connections. I couldn't find anything.....and it never does it when I'm looking for it. Anyway, yesterday I was driving for the first time that day and it seemed like it went into second gear (auto) and stayed there and wouldn't shift up or down......I stop, turn it off to lift the hood.....start it back up to check fluis level.....it was fine and still clean......drive off, and it was as if nothing had ever happend. Could the idle stumble and the shifting problem be related?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure about the idle since my Elantra has not done that but I have had problems with the shifting. At the drivers side front and the end of the tranny is what is called an "pulse generator" It cost around $50 from the dealer nad is easy to replace. It's located under the air box so you have to remove it and the drivers side front wheel. I think there are 3, 10mm bolts holding it in place. This will fix it most of the time. If it doesn't you will need to replace a switch behind the speedometer. I think it's called the Vehicle speed sensor..not sure about that. it cost $20 for the sensor and $120 to have it installed. The dealer will do a diagnostic check to make sure that's the problem and it's $$ well spent. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
406 Posts
with an issue like that especially if it comes and goes its better off to get it checked out at a shop...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys..........so far it hasn't done it again. I have access to someone with a device that can read the codes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Almost sounds like a TPS sensor. Grab the tps sensor while it's running and wiggle it alittle.. See if the idle changes. If so.. The tps is bad..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After replacing the TPS........was downshifting really weird........and replacing wires. That little idel tick has now turned into a mild tick a lights and I can feel it when driving now. I checked all vacuum connections and then remembered something that happend this Summer. I changed the oil and somehow forgot to put the filler cap back on. I was smelling oil when I turned the car off. The cap was where I left it but it seemed like some oil had sprayed over the motor by the filler cap. I'm going to get some contact cleaner and unplug every connection I can see and make sure it is clean...I'm kind of thinking that somewhere there is a connection that is not 100% and this causes it to come and go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced the plugs (NGK Platniums) to regular NGK's........runs like a Swiss watch. Never had plugs act like that before.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Denso plugs will make the car an animal, just so you guys know. I recommend them highly.
ngk are too tame, too mild. makes the car feel like a wuss. lol

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
any. If you can swing $50 bucks, get the iridium. Autozone is the only place that I know of that has them, but they could be anywhere. I just know that pep boys doesnt have denso plugs.
with them, you can run your car more aggressively. The car will be so willing to go.
theyre worth the fifty bucks!

[Edited by 1stgentibs on Nov 24, 2005 5:45 AM]

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a Ford Aspire that behaved like that.... a little stumble that got steadily worse. At 90,000 miles I finally replaced the plugs (for the first time) and it was back to running like brand new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts