Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellow Accent owners and Hyundai drivers. Its time for the GT's first oil change and yes i know im like 2000 miles over due. I need some advice on changing the oil in a new car. All the other cars ive owned have been older and regular oil has been sufficient.

Im looking to put full synthetic oil in my car and platinum spark plugs. Any advice as to brands.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
do a search next time so you don't have to start a topic that's already been discussed.

for spark plug's, go for NGK iridium, they last longer and have don't melt like some platinum tip's do...it's what pro's use,

as for oil and filter, most of us use Mobil-1 synthetic, there are other's like castrol or royal purple or redline...in other words, use the good stuff and don't be afriad to spend an extra 55cent's to buy better oil than conventional that your engine "G4ED" can Benefit from

synthetic's like mobil-1 can maintain their viscosity when in hot or cold conditions better so chance's of a dry cold start "which is because of syrup consistency oil in the pan in 30-degree weather for conventional"
and oil thinning out in scorching heat is reduced..

and for filter..buy no other than the filter that's meant specifically for your vehicle..Hyundai Filters:)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"do a search next time" nanananeener poop. Im too lazy to search. LOL just messin with ya TAK thanks for the info. For oil filter i was actually thinkin of usin K&N's oil filter, anyone had any luck with em?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya but theres a really cool feature on the K&N they weld a 1"nut on the bottom of the filter so you can wrench the filter off. Thats a cool feature I think, theres been many times in the past on previous cars ive owned where the only way to get the filter off is the old screw driver thru the side and spin it off method.

·
Registered
453 Posts
iridium plugs burn colder and decrease the risk of detonation in FORCED INDUCTION cars. using a plug that burns hotter in N/A cars increases efficiency of burn in the combustion chamber. platinum plugs are standard, and will work great. I have Silverstone plugs, the core is silver and handles a more stable spark and higher intensity.

I dont wanna hear it TAK, this is my 2cents

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
somewhere i read on the forum iridium plugs aren't good for boosted cars (turbo/nitrous), correct me if im wrong but i also read they have a long life span which is put in most factory cars like the honda s2000, someone please confirm this whole theory about these plugs, right now im getting my oil changed, next one i get im definately going to use mobil-1 synthetic and the OE hyundai filter, thanks for the info and sorry for post whoring your thread 8D

·
Registered
453 Posts
hmmm.... well, my understanding is that iridium and copper have a colder spark... well, here's a chart from nology who sells silverstone plugs::

Material // Thermal Conductivity [W(m·K)] // Electrical Conductivity (MS/m)
Silver // 407 // 66
Copper // 384 // 57
Gold // 310 // 45
Iridium // 147 // 18
Platinum // 70 // 10
Nickel // 59 // 10

so iridium is hotter than platinum, but silver is hotter than both of those...

·
Registered
91 Posts
from what ive heard k&n oil filters are really good, especially with synthetic oils. they keep the oil looking like new even when its time to change it, i have never seen this myself, but i was thinking of trying one out. i guess all you can do is try it, if it doesnt work as well then just go oem...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would go with an OE oil filter. You can use synthecic oil if you want, but normal oil will be more than enough since its still brand new. As for plugs, just stick with platinum ones, straying away from that bosch +2/+4 crap. Something like an autolite platinum will do nicely. the motor is stock, so there is no reall need for all the super plugs, hell it wont surprise me that upon removal of your current plugs they are perfectly fine.

One thing to note is one often overlooked maintenace step in an oil change interval is to swicth positions with #1,#4, and #3,#2. Waste spark systems fire two of the 4 plugs (in a 4 banger) from the negative electrode to the positive, so its a good idea to even out the wear.

Well, happy tune-up :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts