Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive the 1.6L hatch.

I've been using random fluids and lubricants until i recently found this site, but i still don't know what's best for my car.

For gear oil, our friend 187sks recommends Redline MT-90.

For Clutch/Brake fluid, i duno what's recommended, DOT3 or DOT4, and what brand?

For gasoline, I noticed that the PLUS(88) lasts about 25% longer than when i use regular(87), I haven't gave premium(89) a try yet to see if its better than PLUS(88), anyone notice this as well?

I have about 96,000 miles on my Accent, anyone recommend a certain Engine oil? and oil filter?

For Fuel System Cleaners and Additives what do you guys think? Do these things really clean/work? I had a guy tell me not to buy a cleaner at AUTOZONE saying he didn't trust it, maybe it was his opinion?

Im looking at this Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner, since i'm ordering the MT-90, i figured i'd save a bit on shipping and get this as well, would this actually work well for my car?
https://www.redlineoil.com/buyonline.asp?id=6

If I've missed out on any oils/lubricants of any sort, feel free to recommend some, MUCH THANKS.:p

·
Registered
737 Posts
redline makes some great products
I use the 75-90 gear oil in my trans and I used the water wetter additive in my coolant

The redline motor oil is pricey which is why I don't use it, I use mobil 1 in both my accents. I have never really noticed a difference in performance but I change my oil maybe 3 times a year so the added benefit of synthetic oil is the extended oil change periods.

There are plenty of good synthetic products out there some are more expensive than others.

when your going with brake fluid go with something with higher boiling points than stock if you plan on using your brakes hard. I use the valvoline synthetic dot3 fluid because its cheap and has higher wet and dry boiling points than stock. but you also have some that cost a little more with higher boiling points like the castrol, motul and ate fluids.

Additives are a joke most of the time. working in a shop we sell cleaning packages to people and the throttle body cleaning is one of the most effective things you can do with a can of gumout and a toothbrush. The bg professional products seem to work well but you have to have their induction unit to use it properly. Most intake cleaners are mostly kerosene and don't work that well. My advice is throw some drygas in your tank, clean your throttle body and call it a day.

if your car is your daily driver use factory recommended fluids and you won't have any problems. They are cheap and do their job. Same for gas, if the car was tuned to run on 87 then run it on 87. Higher octane gas won't make a difference if you don't have the timing and/or compression to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Tranny: Redline MT-90
Oil: Royal Purple 5w30
Oil Filter: WIX 51334
Engine oil flush: Gunk
Top engine cleaner: Seafoam through vacuum hose
Fuel injector cleaner: Seafoam in tank
TB cleaner: aerosol Seafoam
Gas: regular

As far as gas goes I suggest you do some control experiments to be sure that you are actually getting better mileage from running mid grade. Usually that's not the case unless you have a slight detonation issue so your car is constantly pulling timing with regular. Regular has slightly more energy available in it than a higher octane fuel. The only purpose of higher octane fuels is to help resist detonation with higher compression or more advanced timing. There is an exception. If you always go to the same station I have seen some where regular is 10% ethanol but the mid and premium grades are ethanol free. My Accent gets 25mpg or less with 10% ethanol fuel but always over 30mpg with regular. I have no improvement of any kind with mid grade or premium as long as I don't put in fuel with ethanol.

Never use any oil additives. Octane boosters work great if premium gas is too low of an octane for you but there is no race gas on hand. For you or I it's just a waste of money.

·
Registered
241 Posts
For gasoline, I noticed that the PLUS(88) lasts about 25% longer than when i use regular(87), I haven't gave premium(89) a try yet to see if its better than PLUS(88), anyone notice this as well?
All Hyundai gasoline engines are designed to run on 87 US (92 RON):

Using higher than 87 octane (92 RON) on a mostly stock engine is a waste of money. You only need higher octane fuel if you have forced induction (turbo, supercharger), have changed the cams, have raised the compression ratio or have altered the computer to produce a more aggressive ignition timing advance curve or fuel map.

More good reading on the subject:
Regular or Premium? - Feature/Features/Classic Cars/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver
ABC News: '20/20' Takes on Summertime Myths
Minnesota Commerce : Gasoline Octane Facts
FuelFrugal.com - Money Saving Gas Tips - Gas Saving Myths
Save Money On Gas - The Octane Factor

I have about 96,000 miles on my Accent, anyone recommend a certain Engine oil? and oil filter?
Personally, I use Mobil1 but any major synthetic oil will be good. As for filters, I use eithe an OEM Huyndai filter, a Purolator filter or a Wix filter. Nothing else.

For Fuel System Cleaners and Additives what do you guys think? Do these things really clean/work? I had a guy tell me not to buy a cleaner at AUTOZONE saying he didn't trust it, maybe it was his opinion?
The only fuel additive I use is Chevron Techron. It's workes very good for keeping the fuel system clean. It won't add power but it may restore some lost power from a dirty fuel system.

·
Registered
737 Posts
the chevron techron is pretty good stuff from experiences using it at the shop.

it kind of works like the zmax stuff in that it will actually break down carbon deposits and its not very expensive. all in all it works much better or cars that have a ton of carbon deposits. If your car is healthy you won't see much or any difference.

Try the throttle body cleaning you will be amazed by the crap you get out. I try to do mine every few months to keep the throttle plate from sticking, the x3 has a good bit of blow by from autoxing so I try to do that more often from oil getting sucked back through the intake.

mpg I average about 24-25 in all city driving running 87 with 10% ethanol. Highway i'm able to get on average 31-32 on the same fuel. This is my 2000 1.5 with the automatic.

the 99 does much better thanks to the 5spd i'm able to get 27-28 in all city and 36-37 with highway driving.

my dad's 01 1.5 5spd regularly get 36-37 combined city/highway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use Seafoam for overall engine flush/injector

Did experiments with higher octane fuel, no improvement as described by hma

didn't change brake fluid yet

I use formula shell 10w-30 synthetic motor oil BJS wholesale $19.99 works great!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
mpg I average about 24-25 in all city driving running 87 with 10% ethanol. Highway i'm able to get on average 31-32 on the same fuel. This is my 2000 1.5 with the automatic.

the 99 does much better thanks to the 5spd i'm able to get 27-28 in all city and 36-37 with highway driving.

my dad's 01 1.5 5spd regularly get 36-37 combined city/highway.
Lucky!

I've never gotten decent gas mileage with the Accent compared to what other people are getting. Not sure if it's my driving or the car. I tend to show different mpg on any car than most people though. I think my best was around 35mpg for one tank all highway. Typically I'll get 32mpg all highway just cruising.

I'm not sure why the E10 fuel gives me such fits either but it always has in my Accent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts