Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got off the phone with greddy and the emanage cant do what i want. the smt-6 can do more of what i want, but still not everything.

apparently in NY all they do is visual inspections and emissions testing if its OBD1. theres no way to plug into the ECU to check fault codes in OBD1 so they wont even be looking for the plug. so long as i keep it tucked away and pass emissions then i can get by with a standalone. just to keep it safe i will get the inspection soon with the car stock and then install it.

so what is out there? i havent really researche dthem but i know haltech is probably the best, and AEM's apparently sucks. i know theres another popular one that i cant think of off the top of my head. i will list everything i want. if i have to buy something else then so be it.

able to fire 4 injectors sequentially and 4 additional injectors
at least 16x16 fuel and timing maps
able to compensate fuel/timing for MAF and MAP readings simultaniously
able to accomodate a knock sensor
able to control 2 seperate nitrous setups. 1 for spooling a turbo and 1 for a progressive shot. spool shot shoud be able to cut off at a preset manifold PSI and progressive be fully controllable. if it cant do a progressive setup thats fine but i want to be able to at least have some nitrous control.
datalog a wideband O2 sensor as well as anything i please. coolant temp, tps position, boost etc all on a graph either seperately or overlayed.
able to setup cruise control. this one isnt a MUST but if it can be done it would kick ass.
i assume colt start fueling and ignition maps are standard, as well as AIT readings...

and yes this is a lot more than i was looking for in a piggyback, but if im going to go all out then i am really going to go ALL OUT.

thanks in advance.

**EDIT**
motec. thats the other company. X)

also what is 'closed loop boost control' versus regular boost control? does that mean that after its tuned and conditions change (carbon buildup, compressor wear, compression loss after high mileage) that the ecu will compensate for this and not lose as much fuel economy and power?

the f10x looks pretty sweet and it has a turbo timer. i like it but unless i can use the special purpose digital out for cruise then it lacks cruise control. oh well i dont see anything with cruise at all, no surprise.

[Edited by beppomarx on Oct 12, 2005 5:52 PM]

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
AEM just came out with their universal "race" box. There's always the Haltech.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Megasquirt. You can find them built on ebay for under $300, they're $160 for the kit you assemble and are just as powerful as a Motec for a LOT less money. Get the Grassroots Motorsports thats on newstands now, they have an awesome writeup on it.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so i am looking at http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
also http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MegaSquirt-2-Fuel-Injection-and-Ignition-Controller_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33553QQitemZ8006337596QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

since the ebay auction is preassembled and configured, what is involved with tuning this? i mean i always thought that someday there would be an ecu that was smart and fast enough to just plug into a car with a wideband 02, just set your desired a/f ratio and go. and it looks like this thing you can dial in to a driveable status, then set an AFR and your wideband and it keeps things in check with your desired AFR. the only thing is that yeah under full boost i would want a 12:1 or something but at vacuum or 0psi for cruising i would want like 14:1 for better mileage. i dunno i have been all over the place trying to figure out what i want to do today and my head hurts. feels like i have been studying for 8 hours straight and also i have been having quite a SH!TTY day at work so i think im just going to stop for now, maybe pick up that grassroots mag if it has something more user friendly in it and start on it tomorrow. im fücking burnt out right now and work is really pissing me off at the moment. god i am so glad tomorrow is my day off.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and to top it all off :mad::mad::mad::dead:

[Edited by beppomarx on Oct 12, 2005 7:06 PM]

·
Registered
846 Posts
the haltech is your no. 1 option. exelent value for money. only really [imo] surpassed in quality and features by the motech, which is rediculusly over priced.

remember if you can pass emisions BEFORE you get a computer you can tune it for power and tuning for power is a whole lot cheaper than tuning for emissions.

you dont need to tell the authorities you have a proramable ecu... who's gona know?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The Megasquirt n' spark is much cheaper than the Haltech (by about $1000) and more powerful, and the GRM article is very friendly. If you cant find it up there, call them for a back issue or I can try to make a copy of mine.

[Edited by skierd on Oct 13, 2005 7:46 AM]

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A lot of people including me just bought the Perfect Power PRS4 for $675. Dmdicks already has it running in his Tib.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Originally posted by beppomarx
[body]
... i mean i always thought that someday there would be an ecu that was smart and fast enough to just plug into a car with a wideband 02, just set your desired a/f ratio and go.
[/body]
There are systems that do that. E&E systems in Japan does that with their freedom computer. Unfortunately, the software is only in Japanese. But basically, you plug it all in, and it'll totally experiment with your car and build maps for you on the fly while learning all about your motor and your driving style. You can set it up to do anything you want, and save maps (like a hi-boost racing map, economical highway map, etc...) and activate whatever one you want. I heard it usually only needs about 10-20 minutes of learning to build an optimal map for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by JonGTR
[body]
A lot of people including me just bought the Perfect Power PRS4 for $675. Dmdicks already has it running in his Tib.
[/body]
:) I want to buy, a Perfect Power PRS4
I have problems with CO at idle rpm, and my engine it's lean in Air Fuel Ratio
With the Apexi S-AFCII can't tuned Ok,

Do you recommend me the PRS 4? almost I have resolved to buy it
I have seen the soft. Is it very difficult? I now see it difficult

my email it's [email protected], (I have tried to send an email to you, but don't work)

please, please, respond

Very Thanks

note: I'm from Spain (Barcelona city)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts