Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone this is a bit of a strange question but has anyone opened up a set of Altezza tail lights. The reason i ask is because i got a ticket the other day for having the lights on my car as they are illegal in the UK (because they have red not orange indicators) so i was wondering if i opened them up and removed or sprayed the inlays then they would be ok. Anyone know how i would open them without damaging them?

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Let me say that I wish North America had that law you mentioned that says that rear turn indicators have to be orange/yellow. I hate red rear turn signals.

Anyways, as far as opening up the lights, I would think it'd be the same as opening stock lights, wouldn't it? Heat the joint between the lens and the backing gently to soften whatever they use to seal the lights against water leaks, and then pull the two halves apart(?). I know lots of people put the lights in the oven at a low-ish temperature. The light housing should be fairly resistant to heat.

·
Registered
231 Posts
hi

i have the same problem too!here in germany its not allowed that the rear lights have red indicators.i would also get a ticket for that.are there any possibilities to custom the altezzas so that the indicators are yellow???

excuse my english

greetings

·
Registered
231 Posts
hi

i have the same problem too!here in germany its not allowed that the rear lights have red indicators.i would also get a ticket for that.are there any possibilities to custom the altezzas so that the indicators are yellow???

excuse my english

greetings

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kool i might try a hair dryer and see what happens. Hi again Phantom i will let ya know how i get on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
hey there. Im from Australia and we too are not allowed to have red turning signals.

I have a set of clear tail lights on my car and what i did was to place the amber bulb in where the reversing light goes, wired up another brake bulb for the other red light, And then turned the rear foglight that is located in the rear bar, into a clear reversing light.

Havent had a prob with them yet.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey.
Trust me, a hair blower won't get you far! I know from experience! I customed my headlights with the help of hyundai's "do it yourself" page. take the lights off the car, take bulbs out, preheat oven at 350 degrees F. put light on baking sheet with wax paper. it only takes a few minutes for the rubber seal to heat up. take them out with oven mitts of course, and pry the *%#^! out of them till the cover comes off. Check the page for more details though K.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I'm the one who wrote the DIY for the LC2 clear corners and I will say that the blow dryer will get you no where. If you lived in a hot climate you could leave it out in the sun for a while and do it that way.. But I have found that the oven works best. Here is the post of my DIY: http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=41537 Read step 6.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I used a hair dryer on my tail lights and had no problems at all getting it apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts