Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a better battery for my LC2 since that the oem batteries suck. I wanted to get a red top Optima battery. I looked on their site and it didn't have anything for an LC2. Does anyone know if they make an Optima battery for the LC2? Any information would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Go to any half-decent auto parts store that carries Optima and have them check for you. As long as the ratings and dimensions are close enough and the terminals are the proper type it should "work" whether Optima says it will or no. I'm on my second Optima, both different types, neither apparently in the book as fitting my car. Oh and the first one lasted 5 years.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they told me that they don't have the type of batteries to match the specs of my car. Now I thought that a battery was just a battery, as long that it fit that's all that mattered? Canadian Tire had the right size of battery and spec but only 25 more CCA then the OEM battery. All that I am looking for is something with more CCA and hopefully give more power because I run a small stereo. I figured that Optima would be the best bet.

What year does that LC2 run for, 2002-2005? Would I be able just to get one for under one of those years, not just for an 05?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Dude just get a CRX/Old Civic battery. it's smaller, lighter and has the same power output.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I said a decent auto parts store, didn't I? Not somewhere that the clerk wouldn't know what to do with a ratchet if they were shut in a room and the door was held on with bolts and there was nothing else but a ratchet in there.

A small stereo should be fine on stock numbers. Practically speaking, unless you are seeing dimming of your headlights when the bass hits you're good to go on the charging system. If you listen a lot with the engine off, go for a yellow top (deep cycle)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I said a decent auto parts store, didn't I? Not somewhere that the clerk wouldn't know what to do with a ratchet if they were shut in a room and the door was held on with bolts and there was nothing else but a ratchet in there.

A small stereo should be fine on stock numbers. Practically speaking, unless you are seeing dimming of your headlights when the bass hits you're good to go on the charging system. If you listen a lot with the engine off, go for a yellow top (deep cycle)
Haha I went to the closest one right after work, I didn't really think about it too much. This morning I went a a place that specializes in battery and they said that the yellow top would be the best one for me. In fact I do have dimming of my dash and headlights(Driving or not driving), so I think that this would help my in my problems. I'm going to do some more looking around and see what kind of price that I can get. Basically I think that yellow would give me everything that I want, more cold cranking amps and able to give more power to the stereo.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i ran a red top in my 03 lc2 and it worked grea but i uhave a system and it dims better battery works but still should get a compasitor for the system it helps alot

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
i ran a red top in my 03 lc2 and it worked grea but i uhave a system and it dims better battery works but still should get a compasitor for the system it helps alot
not true at all. i can send you posts upon posts, upon personal experience to prove you wrong

·
Registered
127 Posts
upon which part. cause im talking from experiance from my old civic, crx, tegra, 325i, x3, camaro, 240, and to my vehicals i have now which is an lc2, prelude, f-150 custom and my k-5. better battery helps with sound system not fully though but it does help having a battery and the compasitor works out good i have no light dimming in either of my vehicals and i watched how much amps it was pulling from a stock battery to my red tops to my compasitors not to mention watched the light dimming go down and dissapear o and also a ground kit also helps out a bit show me im wrong when i worked on not just my cars i listed but my buddys and i didnt say a bettery battery will eliminate anything just saying it works as in it helps alot. thx.

·
Registered
464 Posts
1) Government-school spelling skilz make your posts read like you are dumb.

2) Capacitor.

3) A capacitor is a band-aid fix that frequently helps cover up symptoms of an underperforming charging system. Yes it can help, no it is not the optimal solution in many cases.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
upon which part. cause im talking from experiance from my old civic, crx, tegra, 325i, x3, camaro, 240, and to my vehicals i have now which is an lc2, prelude, f-150 custom and my k-5. better battery helps with sound system not fully though but it does help having a battery and the compasitor works out good i have no light dimming in either of my vehicals and i watched how much amps it was pulling from a stock battery to my red tops to my compasitors not to mention watched the light dimming go down and dissapear o and also a ground kit also helps out a bit show me im wrong when i worked on not just my cars i listed but my buddys and i didnt say a bettery battery will eliminate anything just saying it works as in it helps alot. thx.
i guess my years of professionally competing in sound where a waste. damn, if only i had a cap.

i also guess my little accent that has no dimming with a stock battery and alternator from when i bought the car... must need a capacitor

·
Registered
435 Posts
fintile is right, quit being retarded and get a civic battery, i just put one in my dd and its like half the size and weight of the stock pos one. i drilled 2 holes where my battery box was in my accent and made the battery fit, the dimensions are rediculously small like 9 x 5 and weights all but nothing.... so save space, weight, and money and get a civic battery. mine cost 40 bucks and i gained 100 cca's.....

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
i got a used mini battery i pulled from my old 240sx when i still had it,

it's about the size of a small odyssey battery, had it for 2 years, and alway's start's everytime, other than adding a bit of distilled water since it's not maintenance free, i check it now and then and stay's at 400CCA's

hyundai battery's are mostly dealer only item's that are overpriced, not genuine hyundai "made by 3rd Party companies and slap their label's it and fetch plenty of markup..ripoff.

i just use any battery that's close to my lc's oem CCA rating

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm looking at an optima yellow top ATM

which model did you get sized up for ?

d75/25
D34
D35
D51

???

i'm concerned about size and if it will fit the engine bay.
Yeah man, there isn't alot of room to when it comes to fitting an optima into an accent. I think that I got was the D34 or 35(red top)(Yellow should be the same), I can't remember. All that I had to was cut off a piece of the battery terminal cover on the positive, and then it fit. You don't have to modify the battery tray etc.

·
Registered
435 Posts
civic battery, done.... 40 bucks. why spend extra money for no reason?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i can use optima due to the freezing temps, and the audio ****
Yeah I have to agree with Mike to when it comes to the freezing temps. Sunday morning when I woke up I started the car and it was -40 F, with the windchill. It was like that for 2-3 days straight, so plugging it in wasn't going to do that much. I find that so far the Optima battery hasn't failed me, not like the oem one has many times.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Yeah I have to agree with Mike to when it comes to the freezing temps. Sunday morning when I woke up I started the car and it was -40 F, with the windchill. It was like that for 2-3 days straight, so plugging it in wasn't going to do that much. I find that so far the Optima battery hasn't failed me, not like the oem one has many times.
its a nice feature. due to its a gel, rather then acids, it does not freeze.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts