Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor on my 01 Elantra changed by my dealer last December and ever since I have had a problem with the check engine light coming on and going off with a P0139 code. It seems that after a while it will go away on it's own only to come back on later. I brought the car in to the dealer in September when the CEL came on again for an evap leak that turned out to be my purge valve and the same P0139 code. The dealer replaced the purge valve and "cleared all codes". The cel came back on a about a month or so ago with a P0139 code and then went away a day or so after. It is now back AGAIN! I guess I'll be brining the car back to the dealer soon. What are the odds this code would come back on for something other than a defective 02 sensor that they replaced? Is there anything else that I could easily check prior to bringing the car into Hyundai? I strongly suspect they will try to deny it is a defective part/install and try to charge me for looking at the car or another repair.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It sounds like they did not do a full diagnosis. That code can be anything from a leaky evap canister, its valves, gaskets or gas cap to a faulty emission component.

I'd have the mechanic test each part by itself. The roll over valve fails easy on the XD.

·
Registered
492 Posts
yup what he said, alot of times its as simple as not tightening the gas cap enough at the gas station after a fill up. you get low evap pressure and it trips the code because of it. the cheapest fix is a gas cap, if its anything else then it will be a bit more pricey

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses gys!

I am positive it is not a lose or defective gas cap, as I ALWAYS turn the cap until it clicks like 10 times ( neurotic I know ;) ) and the car just passed inspection and they test for defective gas caps. Back in December of last year when Hyundai changed the O2 sensor they also replaced the canister close valve. And then in August of this year they replaced the purge valve assembly when a P0440 code appeared. This was all paid for sincew the car was not under warranty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Take it to an independent shop you trust, ask their opinion. Might want to have a smoke test done to check the whole system for leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts