Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have been thinking and researching this for quite some time I have a turbo kit that is being cleaned up and soon it will go on my car. I think I can pass emissions just by changing up the exhaust.

My plan is to get a full 3" exhaust all the way out to a flowmaster 3" inlet 2.5" outlet.

I will move the second O2 sensor down further so i can fit a bolt on 1.5" stock cat on it. by doing this I expect to get:
Little noice (so it wont sound modded),
little air flow (so the turbo wont spool),
and no conflicting ECU problems (like ones you would get if you ran no cat).

it will be a bolt for emissions test, pass, then bolt on straight 3" again

how does this sound?
Im open for sugjestions.
or if you have tryed it I would like to know the outcome.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
You can have the turbo installed with a cat. You will cause problems with a 3 inch exhaust though. The exhaust will be too cool for the cat to work effectively. It will work with a 2.25 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
174 Posts
your gonna fail the visual test unless you have either papers or pay someone to ignore it. The o2 moving will work just as long as one is in front of the cat and behind the cat. also you need to have the stock ecu or else you will fail that test as well.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
going from a 3" pipe to a 1.5" cat will make the cat fail?
I thought a suddent change from 3" to 1.5" would compress the air and slow down the flow i dont plan on having the cat too far from the engine.

Im not worried about the visual test I got enough black paint to make anything look stock. and its not like they know about hyundai engines enough to know its not.
as for the ECU yeah its stock only apexi neo hooked to it.(for tuning the turbo)

·
Registered
174 Posts
your gonna blow your cat or cause a back fire back into your engine which is also as bad. I dont recommend using a 1.5" cat at all. Also you need to know that when you smog, they run your car on a roller so they will rev the engine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
you can just buy a racing cat. thats what i did for my test. but im in nj so i dont know its that much different but it worked. and as far as the mods i just payed the guy 50 bucks and he blew it off. its better if you dont go to the dmv either for the emissions test. go to a body shop that does that sort of thing and you can get away with alot more and pay off the guy.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The stock cat is not 1.5 inches. The inside diameter of the tip is 1.8 inches. The stock cat is 2-2.25 inches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Give it a try see if it will work out for you. As long as you do everything right you will pass the emissions test, but the visual can be tricky. I live in S.Cali and I had my accents mostly stock do the smog test in different test sites. Some of them check for visual and some just kinda do glance over. So if you can make things look similar to stock and pass let me know where you got smogged. Or even if you have to bribe someone still let me know. So I know where to go to get my car smogged in the future. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Just having a turbo on a car that didn't come with one from the factory is an instant fail without a CARB EO#.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know plenty of places that just take a glance at the engine.
I live in SOCAL most smog checkers are Hispanic mechanics in a hurry.
I'm not saying they are dumb I'm just saying most places wont notice or realize that this Hyundai is not a stock turbo.

I cleaned up the cast iron and it will look similar to stock, and realize and have seen how they rev it at 25 mph for a while and then at 50 mph.

as for walking up and saying its turboed I wont do.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I live in SOCAL most smog checkers are Hispanic mechanics in a hurry.
I'm not saying they are dumb I'm just saying most places wont notice or realize that this Hyundai is not a stock turbo.
Your VIN number will the the tech that your car is a non-turbo. But you are right, most techs are in a rush to get it done quickly. The more cars they do in a day, the more $$$. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
For the amount of money you are going to put into the car just to get it to "maybe" pass smog you mine as well just go all out with the turbo and pay some dude $250 when in fact your car needs to be smogged to get a pass. Thats what I'm doing. No accent will ever pass smog with a turbo...too much going on for it to look or even run right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank god I don't have to deal with that........yet. Either way, I'm sure I can have some buddies of mine find someone who will pass it anyway LOL

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forget all that moved to Mississippi and they don't have emissions laws :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts