Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Its been awhile since Ive been on here, but Im currently having some weird issues with the ole' accent. Not sure if its just winter stuff, but my check engine light is on and has been for a while. It went off one time right after my car almost stalled (it just slowed down). Im not sure if this is related but when I come to a stop sometimes it feels like my engine skips a beat or something. Anywho, instead of going to the dealership I thought I would throw in some fuel system cleaner and that mystery magic oil additive crap to see if that would help first. When I went to add the oil additive, the bottom of my oil cap looked like it was covered in peanut butter. Im not about to put it on a sandwich but it looks an awful lot like it. Any ideas on whats wrong and what I can do a bout it? thanks

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
oooh... thats baaaad...

That penut butter stuff... thats water and coolent in your oil. If you can, take off your value cover to see if it is all over. You might just have a little bit on the cap from water condensation, but if its all over.. thats baaaad, very baaaad. Your head gasket might be blown, or any number of things. Either way, you have to tear it apart to see whats wrong, and then clean out the entire engine. eeek...

one more thing... this is post 1000. :D

Good luck with the engine, post back if your value cover is caked with the stuff... sorry man..

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
BTW it's pretty common to have some on your cap and it doesn't mean you're engine is bad if you have some. If it's excessive there's trouble. If you opened it up a couple of months ago and there was none but now there's a lot, that means trouble.

If you have major water contamination you can tell by draining your oil for an oil change. If your drained oil has a lot of whitish crud in it you know you've got serious problems.

·
Registered
978 Posts
emulsification is a bad bad thing.

if it is that, then a rebuild is in order, new main bearings, new rod bearings, etc etc. enjoy it, I hope your oil change is clean. Might was well plan on doing this soon.,

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't get too concerned.. Are you loosing coolant? if not then it's probably just condesation from the engine.. During winter months it's more noticable since the engine doesn't get warmed up enough to get rid of the moisture.. Short trips are usually the cause. Just keep your oil changed every 3k miles or earlier if your doing alot of idling time. I have seen many caps with this peanut butter stuff.. But nothing wrong with the engine. Also sounds like you have a misfire.. Check the plugs and wires.. Most likely cause if it running rough..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yeah I live in Portland, Maine, so Ive been making lots of short trips and stops at stop lights ect. I change my oil frequently and have not noticed anything abnormal. I will do it again really soon and see I guess. Hopefully it will work its way back to life with the warm weather coming. Does the condensation build-up explain the check engine light? Or is that probably from the misfiring piston? I put new plugs and wires on over the summer, magnacore wires and iridium plugs, possibly they are causing a problem. thanks a lot for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts