Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Performance and Fuel Economy?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  WytchDctr 
#1 ·
Ok i bought my kandn short ram intake with filter to increase my gas milage by owe i think they calimed 2-3 mpg and i got a non restrictive muffler *performance* aka..... and said it would increase 1 or 2 with all that i figured i gained 8-10 hp and like 4-5 mpg well ive never really tested but my mechanic ruined my dream by making a good point....more air = KYLE..... more fuel... so im doing the peter griffian face....... Saying WOW I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT.... so does this stuff gain hp and economy or reduce econmy alot and gain performance wut u guys think.....

#2 ·
Well I think it depends on the type of driving habits you have. I noticed a gain in mileage when I put on the 421 header and 2.25 exhaust, but only when I drive "easy." If you already drive like an old lady then I would think you'd get a little better mileage. But if you're a "go or woe" type of driver then you're probably getting the best mileage you can.:)

#4 ·
Im getting 43 mpg out of my 1.8 twin cam. Intake exhaust header brought the milage up to around 37, the piggyback fuel tuner brought that to 43.

Yes, it does help, if the air gets in and out easier you get more power and better fuel milage.

#5 ·
You may be taking in slightly more air but remember you don't have a carb. The ecm makes the call on how much fuel to add. Does the accent even see enough extra air coming in to add that much fuel and hurt economy.. I doubt it. IMO why we see better gas mileage is a reduction in pumping loss.

Do this... take a straw. Cover one end in duct tape. Poke smallish a hole in said duct tape. Now try and draw air in.. its hard eh?

No remove the duct tape. Easier to draw air in right?

It takes hp to draw air in and reducing the work required to pull air into the engine is where I think that bump in economy comes from. I didn't see any real noticeable gains from my intake, but after intake/exhast/UDP.. I saw a nice jump.

BMW is using this theory on the new mini. It has no throttle body. The variable valve lift control is so good it throttles air. Removing the throttle plate reduced the pumping losses at partial throttle applications. It makes enough of a diffrence they went to the trouble of making a system like that :D

thats my $0.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.