Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do they make one for the 1.5L sohc? if so, where? if not, jrm how much would it cost to get one made up?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I asked that too.

He said he didn't want to get burned like he did with the 1.6 DOHC spacers, so he'd prob. want money up front from like 20 people before he'd do one for the 1.5 SOHCs.

After seeing the difference it made on 187SKS's car, I'd put money down to get one made. Awesome bang for the buck. Now we just need 18 more people. ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup yup, las vegas heat is killer, 5 minutes after running u can already feel it bogging, you pop open the hood and touch the intake manifold and its hotter than the head lol.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Oh hell yeah they make a difference. the other day was like 87 out here in San Diego and the car had no problems pulling all through the day and when I touched the runners after 45 mins. of steady/quick driving on the freeway it was slightly warm comparred to the HOT to touch it used to be. deffinatly a good investment!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey sorry for the delays with messages and reponses. I have been out of town workin. I can do the spacers for the 1.5 sohc but it will be a lil bit of time. It costs me $200 just to have it put in autocad then the price of cnc and materials. if I could get people to throw in and get together for a set date and pay atleast half in advanced I can have them in two weeks after pay date. get about twenty people together and forward $55 to me and I can get it done. I just am trying to start up and don't have a whole lot of money to invest blindly if you know what I mean. The 1.6 spacers are movin but very slowly. I would love to help out everyone I could especially the 1.5 guys. If you can put the dohc 1.5 head on your 1.5 sohc bottomend you can use the spacers I have now.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Buy a 1.5l SOHC gasket and send it to me and I'll draw it in AutoCAD for you for free. That's my day job. Or hell if it'll help I might just go pick one up and draw it for you. I'm a perfectionist so don't worry about the accuracy. I just need to know if you need dimensions or only a scale drawing.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i know that some of you guys have got them and reckon that they work, but i still dont know how something that is about 3mm thick can make that much of a difference !!

i can understand something like 20mm making a difference with runner length and heat, i see that stuff with old school carbie motors, big spacers and the like,

but anything less than 5mm ?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
i know that some of you guys have got them and reckon that they work, but i still dont know how something that is about 3mm thick can make that much of a difference !!
Fair enough. But heat only has three ways to get to the IM that I can think of:
1. Heat can travel through the air and warm the IM from the inside. This does happen, but it's slow, because the heat has to travel "upstream, against the airflow, in the incoming colder air".
2. If the IM is higher than the engine block, heat rises in the engine bay and "heat soaks" the IM. Insulating the outside of the IM might help this, but there would be a minor weight penalty.
3. Heat is conducted from the engine block through direct contact with the IM. I am guessing this would be the biggest factor in IM temperature based on the changes I saw on 187Sks' car. This is the factor that phenolic spacers are intended to prevent as well.

Now absolutely, some heat WILL get to the IM. But $55 to drop the temp of your IM 70 degrees F (and it's always "on", never needs maintenance, etc.) seems pretty reasonable to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
so i'm kinda new to the whole performance mods to my car ('04 accent gt) but exactly how beneficial would it be to combine the phenolic spacer with a CAI? and would this improve mpg?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dyno proven results would be great with something like this. It would seem that by the time air travels that far, it would be at such a velocity so that manifold temperature would not matter enough to make a difference. Additionally, since you would be isolating the intake manifold from the motor itself, you are in effect decreasing overall surface area for heat to disperse and you would run hotter and potentially increase the chance for early detonation. So it would seem anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dyno proven results would be great with something like this. It would seem that by the time air travels that far, it would be at such a velocity so that manifold temperature would not matter enough to make a difference. Additionally, since you would be isolating the intake manifold from the motor itself, you are in effect decreasing overall surface area for heat to disperse and you would run hotter and potentially increase the chance for early detonation. So it would seem anyway.
oh trust me it matters! I've done tons of phenolic spacers in the past and love them (epecially for street use on a hot summer day, you see VERY noticeable differences in intake air temp!)

The aluminum (or steel, etc) intake manifolds heat up FAST and stay hot for a long time this is because of being in contact with the head, aluminum transfers heat very fast. With a phenolic spacer it will stay cool longer, thus making more power, and decreasing the chance for detonation (cooler more dense air).

As for how much of a gain you'll see, not too much honestly but its one of the cheapest mods to do and pick up a few ponies besides a CAI.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Well, to have a reliable dyno test would require back to back runs with and without the spacer. It's a bit of a PITA to install, so I'm not going to run on the dyno, install the spacer, and run again. Day to day the variations are too great. The best I can do is that we dynoed one day, a while later I dynoed the car again with the phenolic spacer. My power stayed the same while everyone else's was down about 10-20% vs. the last time we ran due to worse atmospheric conditions.

I can say for certain though that it not only lowers the intake manifold temps a lot, it also makes a difference in power. It's especially evident during long pulls. Before I could feel it stop pulling as hard the longer I pushed it, now it pulls hard for a lot longer.

As far as causing overheating and detonation it will be offset by the cooler incoming air more than likely, but even if not the intake manifold is not intended to be a heat sink for cooling the engine. The cooling system will take care of it for us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
...meh, good enough I'm sold, where can one find them and how much are they? I remember back in the ol' neon days some guy using compressed teflon and an intake manifold gasket as a template, just trace and cut. Though anything precut is ideal.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts