Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I picked up a 93 turbo scoupe with only 52k on it ;) now I'm captivated by the car, but aftermarket parts (no matter how hard I google) and not exactly turning up in droves. A few questions some experienced hyundai people could answer for me would GREATLY help me; help myself!!

1: I have a US model. Whats the deal with "type 1" and "type 2" scoupes?

2: the 1.5l turbo motor in this car. Who actually manufacturers it? this would greatly help me find things like a camshaft, etc.

3: Ah yes.. the ever elusive body kit. I have found several out there. But they are ugly as hell for the most part. Anything decent I have seen has been a hybrid bumper cover off another car or another cars kit. But my question is - Wich car? do excel front bumper kits easily modify to fit the scoupe? what other cars out there share the same front end measurments? I would like something more trendy, like an invader or evo style front bumper. Nothing I have seen seems to do it for me.

4: with a 2" drop, any ideas on the biggest wheel/tire package I can shoehorn into the wheel wells?

5: any really great sites I can frequent with this kind of information on it? cardomain leaves a lot left to be desired. Anyone there doing anything cool with they're scoupes doesn't want to share HOW they did it.

Please take a moment to contribute and help me out. I want this car to be really sick. Most of my experience comes from customizing and restoring 79-86 fox body mustangs. This will be my very first import project!

- Thanks!

- Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Matt, i can help you answer some not all of your questions for you. :) i own a very not well known 1990 scoupe which i have more problems finding parts for.

1. Type 1 means series 1 which means 1990 - 1993 and type 2 means series 2 which is 1994 - 1995.

2. my car isn't turbo, so i don't know but the engine is mitsibishi. another words you can get an evo engine - 2lt turbo to fit exactly in the same place.

3. the 2 door lancers have almost the same size car except the rear is smaller. that means the evo kits and dorid kits will fit almost.

4.i'm not quiet certain but you shouldn't get anything bigger than 2'' more than stock. eg. if 14'' then get no bigger than 16'' rims but you might get away with 17''.

5.i'm not sure i'm still looking for a good one.

Mustangs are awsome. hope i could help you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey here's my list.

1. The type 1 scoupe was built from 90-92 and came with a 1.5 8valve mitsubishi engine G4dj engine, the type 2 was built from 93-96 and came with a 1.5 12v hyundai engine G4EK

Hyundai engine with garrett turbo on it.
Since you've got the hyundai engine you can't fit the Mitsu EVo engine, this will only go in the first series scoupe

3. Bodykit,just what you said those which are available are ugly.
My front bumper came off a golf3 with some adjustments.
My side skirts I made fit from a honda prelude.

4. Mine is dropped with 3,5cm in the front and the back is lower because all of the wood, but I run with 205/40R17 with 7jx17 wheels

5. HP is one and almost the only one, there is a scoupe performance club which hardly lives.
http://www.scoupeperformance.com

greets
Bastiaan

[Edited by PanciLaan on Sep 29, 2004 3:29 AM]

[Edited by PanciLaan on Sep 29, 2004 8:28 AM]

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
if its a turbo motor then you have the hyundai-engineered 1st generation alpha motor.

unorthodox makes an underdrive pulley- i run one and i like it.

i would not go bigger than 16" rims but if someone claims they fit 17's, good for them. i use my car for driving not show. i run the stock 14's and if i ever upgrade it will be to 15's.

i am not sure if this is your first forced induction project or not but the camshaft is very well suited for the stock ECU's rpm capabilities- i would look elsewhere to gain performance.

with a big motor staying N/A like the mustangs you are used to thinhs like cams and headers can easily make a 20-30hp increase, but with a little motor you will be spending that $800 or so to gain maybe 5-10hp. the best way to gain power from your 1.5 liters is to turn up the boost. but not without caution.....

your motor if you are unfamiliar with it has under-piston oil jets to cool your pistons, one of the nails hyundai really hit on the head. IMO the single best feature of the entire car. however this gets your oil temp to run regularly in the summer at 210-230f. i would consider an oil temp guage and an oil cooler. i myself have only fitted a (probably too big) oil cooler and left it at that with no guage.

now that youve remedied the single biggest problem from factory rollout- fix the next one. as you may or may not know the process of compressing air creates heat and since your goal is to gain more boost, you will be gaining a higher AIT. an intercooler is almost a must to prevent detonation and will gain you horsepower. i have not yet boosted over the stock setting or installed an intercooler, but may be soon. the stock turbo is good for 14psi before you start running out of efficiency, over that you need to switch to a t25 or some other larger compressor.

if you have noticed, your car may be a bit suggish until you start to make boost (under 2300rpm) and this is due to our agressively low 7.5:1 compression- hyundai being conservative here. however this coupled with those oil squirters make our (mechanically) bone stock engine capable of about 270+hp with the right fuel/spark management and a larger turbo.

for small boost increses possibly up to 14psi i have heard just a new adjustable RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) (malpassi and cartech are popular and recommended from what i hear) will do the trick, probably best to install a wideband O2 sensor to tune it right. i have worked with the PLX wideband setup accompanied by a bosch sensor and it works fabulous- real-time and accurate.

another thing i would concentrate on is dampening especially in the rear. i am riding on vogtland lowering springs with stock rims and tire sizes and stock shocks and feel the car is too soft in the rear. the springs are just right but koni adjustable inserts or something stiffer than stock are on my list- but not untl teh stock ones blow. i bought the car with new shocks recently installed and will just wait it out even though the tail is a bit fishy- i just need to be cautious.

hope i helped and if you have any more questions just ask!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey. If you like KITS on Scoupe's i recommend u look at mine, this is all custome work, and cost a fortune but i think looks unreal. have look in my profile.other wise heres my cardomain link....peace.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/533665

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Hi & welcome!.....you have a superb & rare car, which is too good-looking to ruin with the usual run of bodykits!.

Don`t put anything larger than 15" rims on your car.......you`ll ruin your acceleration & spoil the turbo`s unusually quick spool-up.

http://www.performancestylingcentre.com.au/frbanner.htm are a great firm to deal with & they have quite a bit for our car (no kits though!).

The only chip Superchips make for a Hyundai is for this car......it doubles the boost to 14 p.s.i. and alters the fuelling/timing to match. It adds 30 b.h.p. but is expensive!.....+ an intercooler & oil-cooler would be essential.

Have a look at my profile pix/specs. for ideas!.
Cheers,
Nick.:)

[Edited by VALKYRIE YB70 on Oct 1, 2004 9:21 PM]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick,

THanks. But I beat ya to styling performance. The car is also a GLX.. so I got all the power goodies :)

I was planning on 16" rims. I wan't show and performance. I understand from what I'm reading 16" is where the two meet without sacrificing one or the other.

And I must admit, I don't want an entire body kit. I want a front valence, maybe something ont he hood. And yes, I'm going to say it.. and I know I'll catch hell, but for ACTUAL performance reasons and styling (because Ilike them too) they make an aluminum formula wing that is actuator adjusted fromt he drivers seat. I understand these cars and hairy in the ass end, And I will kill those two birds with a big aluminum stone. I think it's a wise choice. The other mods are simple. Clear corners, markers, some vinyl, and MAYBE a scoop like yours, but ONLY if it's functional in some positive manner. ;)

- Matt

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Matt.....the performance-meets-show equilibrium is true for the 2.0 Beta, but for the 1.5 Alpha it`s 15"....but 16"`s wouldn`t be too bad ( the offset is + 42mm.).
My scoop is VERY functional......the hood wouldn`t close without it!.

Cheers,
Nick.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hey my front bumper is from a 94-98 golf 3.
And yes, my car is only show so I´m happy with the 17´s and even thinking about going to 19´s but I have to extend my wheel arches for that.
I don´t race my car, I´m a easy rider, my engine is almost stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts