Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, obviously, since I'm posting this in the newbies forum I am new here. I'm also very new to Hyundai. I never thought I'd buy a Korean car, but I was quite taken by the Azera. At any rate, about a month ago I purchased a 2007 Hyundai Azera Limited (with the Ultimate Package) after having one as a rental while traveling on business. I don't race, and I'm not much into visual modifications, but I do love a fun drive, especially on long highway trips. While testing the limits of the Azera (with the rental, of course ;) I discovered using my GPS that it tops out at 153mph with the 3.8L V6, which just so happens to be the engine in the Limited I got.

I would like to do some relatively low-key modifications, something that isn't easily observed, so as to preserve the dignified look and feel of the luxury sedan but still gaining the extra power. I have 3 goals. First, I'd like to be able to reach a top speed (GPS confirmed) of 200mph comfortably sustained (meaning I don't have to redline it in 5th gear on a flat to hit that). Second, I'd like to do it on a budget of $3000 USD. And, finally, third, I would like to do so in a manner which is undetectable without opening the hood or seeing the power in action.

I'm fairly well informed about cars, as far as the technical aspects go, but I don't work on cars myself ever, so I may need some explanation of any ideas you may have.

At any rate, I figure you guys know the stuff necessary to help me formulate a plan that would let me reach my performance goals, or just tell me I'm crazy and why so I can rethink things ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
You'd have to do some major modifications to get it to go that fast. The standard I/H/E stuff likely won't be enough. Also, Hyundai really tightened the computer's parameters for the 07 model year, so people haven't been successful so far in overcoming that.

Additionally, I hope I am not on the same road you're on! 153 in a bone-stock production car is scary fast, and pretty dumb on a freeway. Unless you were in the Southwest with nobody else around on a road that's straight as an arrow to and from the horizon, which is marginally less dumb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What sort of major modifications are we talking about here? I was thinking along the lines of porting + a supercharger.

I'm not a dangerous driver. I drive at speed under light traffic conditions on good roads where the average speed is at least 90mph. I've yet to ever be in an accident while I was driving, due to paying attention and practicing good defensive driving, including quick and well controlled avoidance techniques when necessary. While the physics of a speed that fast obviously make that speed substantially riskier than the average excess of 5 to 10mph above the speed of general traffic flow, it is not an excessive risk when a skilled and attentive driver is behind the wheel. Distractions and lack of attention cause more accidents (and worse accidents) than speed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You'll need some more parts besides a supercharger and a porting job. Stuff such as an intake, freer-flowing exhaust, fuel management for the supercharger, beefing up the transmission to take the power (if you're wanting a major power increase), solid or urethane motor mounts, and tires that can take the speeds you're planning on. That's just a partial list.

Doing much beyond an intake will start to affect the livability of the car. I had no idea what I was in for when I started tinkering with my Elantra. It's now a quicker, better-handling car, but at the price of shaking incessantly at idle from the urethane motor mounts and being louder all the time from the exhaust. So after spending $1500 on basic engine and suspension mods, it's still needing more work and money thrown at it.

And truly more accidents are caused by distraction than sheer speed. I lost count of how many distracted drivers I see doing stupid stuff that would not be done by an attentive driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my scale of "fun", anything that increases performance but decreases the luxury (or livability) of the vehicle isn't something I'm really willing to do. Since I'm not looking for an increase in acceleration, just top speed, we are looking at pushing a whole lot of extra HP, but not necessarily more torque, so I don't know that reinforced engine mounts and a transmission swap would be necessary (of course, I am quite probably wrong).

What would be a realistic expectation (obviously an estimate) in improvement to top speed in moving from the stock NA setup to ported heads, upgraded piston crowns, upgraded valves, a slightly larger exhaust, a low profile hood scoop, and a supercharger.

As far as the tires are concerned, I'll need a bit of an upgrade. The OEM tires are 98Vs, so have a 1653 pound load index and are speed rated for 149mph. I'll fairly soon (not counted in my budget, btw) will be picking up some new lightened aluminum forged billet wheels and I'll be mounting them with 101Ys, so they'll have a 1819 pound load index at a 186mph speed rating. By reducing the load below the rated load index (since it already is below the rated load index, reduction may not be necessary) and slightly overinflating, I can decrease deflection stress on the tires and increase it's tolerance to sustained high speeds. With the tires and wheels I'm going to be putting on it, I don't think that will be a problem, at least.

·
Registered
77 Posts
this isnt a video game man, from what you say your willing to do this goal of 200mph isnt reachable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I quite realize "it isn't a video game". If my goal isn't reachable within my tolerances, then the next step is probably to assess what is reachable within those tolerances. Based on what I've said I am considering in my post previous to this, what sort of improvement can I expect? What other modifications are possible to further improve performance without reducing livability.

·
Registered
77 Posts
well what you probably will notice is that you can increase the power somewhat but more noticably you can change how the power comes on is delivered. the first thing you do to any car is INTAKE,HEADERS,EXHAUST. so thats what i would look into next. if your car is a 5/6 speed then get a clutch and flywheel combo.

after the power mods you could move into suspention mods like springs that would also drop the car and give it a better look, then struts and sway bars. after that i'm sure you would be happy and this could be achieved for a relatively small budget as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
well what you probably will notice is that you can increase the power somewhat but more noticably you can change how the power comes on is delivered. the first thing you do to any car is INTAKE,HEADERS,EXHAUST. so thats what i would look into next. if your car is a 5/6 speed then get a clutch and flywheel combo.

after the power mods you could move into suspention mods like springs that would also drop the car and give it a better look, then struts and sway bars. after that i'm sure you would be happy and this could be achieved for a relatively small budget as well.

lastly i would look into a brake set up for it with some drilled/slotted rotors from rotorpros.com with some nice ceramic pads.

pretty much those are all the bolt ons your going to find for the azera and the diffrence of driving the car just like that over what you have now will make a world of diffrence. all that stuff right there will make a much funner cruise to 160 and much safer on the way back down as well.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
if you want to maintain the luxury of your car just leave it alone. non of those things will make it go 200mph. and regardless of how good of a driver you are it is never safe to go anywhere near that fast especially in a hyundai. the slightest bump in the road will send your ass packin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
^^ your probably that guy who mods his car but never takes it past 90 because "its unsafe"

no mods you can do to his car would take it that fast but you certainly can get it to 160's and you can definatly get it there faster then it does now. there is no reason to mod your car if you dont ever wind it out.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Tristor said:
Okay, so, obviously, since I'm posting this in the newbies forum I am new here. I'm also very new to Hyundai. I never thought I'd buy a Korean car, but I was quite taken by the Azera. At any rate, about a month ago I purchased a 2007 Hyundai Azera Limited (with the Ultimate Package) after having one as a rental while traveling on business. I don't race, and I'm not much into visual modifications, but I do love a fun drive, especially on long highway trips. While testing the limits of the Azera (with the rental, of course ;) I discovered using my GPS that it tops out at 153mph with the 3.8L V6, which just so happens to be the engine in the Limited I got.

I would like to do some relatively low-key modifications, something that isn't easily observed, so as to preserve the dignified look and feel of the luxury sedan but still gaining the extra power. I have 3 goals. First, I'd like to be able to reach a top speed (GPS confirmed) of 200mph comfortably sustained (meaning I don't have to redline it in 5th gear on a flat to hit that). Second, I'd like to do it on a budget of $3000 USD. And, finally, third, I would like to do so in a manner which is undetectable without opening the hood or seeing the power in action.

I'm fairly well informed about cars, as far as the technical aspects go, but I don't work on cars myself ever, so I may need some explanation of any ideas you may have.

At any rate, I figure you guys know the stuff necessary to help me formulate a plan that would let me reach my performance goals, or just tell me I'm crazy and why so I can rethink things ;)

LMAO
Well informed. Obviously not!

Stick with buisness.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
hey tristor, you seem like a very smart person who knows quite a bit about life, just not about the stupid nerdy side of cars. unfortunately, my advice to you would be to leave the azera as is, and trade it in on something along the lines of a bmw m3 and have a reputable big city speed shop/dealer do the work for you.

without knowing the gear ratios of the azera transmission, your wheel size and your hard rev limit, i cant guesstimate what your top speed could be. but im sure the transmission isnt going higher than what you've gotten it to, without revving higher and there's no point to that really- you dont want a whiney pos car.

im sorry but another thing, these forums will drive you faster away from hyundai than your most highly modified azera could ever get you anywhere on the road. unless your into whiney arrogant children talking down to you at every corner, this won't be the place for you.

regards,
robert

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
optimoprime said:
^^ your probably that guy who mods his car but never takes it past 90 because "its unsafe"

no mods you can do to his car would take it that fast but you certainly can get it to 160's and you can definatly get it there faster then it does now. there is no reason to mod your car if you dont ever wind it out.
what the **** would make you say that. there is a big ****in difference between going 90 and going 200. and believe me when i say this. a ****in azera is not made to go 200. it is not made to go 150. i don't care what anyone says its not safe to go 200 or even 150 in a family sedan meant for comfort. and as far as i don't ever take it past 90 wtf are you smokin.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not possible for the amount you're willing to spend. You'll need a standalone engine management system to get around the rev limiter (and adjust fuel for s/c...likely around 1000 just for system without paying for tuning)- which would be fine for like 5 minutes before you thrash your torque converter and tear apart your transmission. Its a Hyundai H Y U N D A I. It was built for comfort and reliability. You can't possibly hope to have the ability to go that fast and not make some huge sacrifices both in the vehicle and in your wallet.

There is absolutely NO reason to ever approach even 100mph in a luxury sedan unless you are on the track, where the surfaces are groved and designed for abuse and everybody signs waivers so that when one of your tires explodes and you kill them you won't be sued.

Put the money toward something useful, such as a TRACK CAR. On the other hand, if you can make it go that fast, be very safe and reliable still, for $3000, please show your car to a Ferrari or Lamborghini plant as you've created something that even they can't.

/thread.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
To get to 200mph you would need to...

Spend some time in a wind tunnel and correct aero errors that don't matter at the speeeds it can go (yes there is a big diffrence from 150 to 200). Most cars actually produce a little lift, a few have zero lift, and even fewer actually produce any downforce.

Make a custom transmission... much more than just getting rid of the rev limiter

Then make around 800hp depending on the work you did in the wind tunnel. If you added a bunch of wings to reduce lift you will need more power to push through the air as speeds build. Going from 100-150 is easy compared to going from 150-200.

So yes.. it would be easier to make the azera a boat.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Why do yopu want to go 200 mph?

The Azera may say it will go 160, but 115 is the limit. You will be required to redesign the whole car to get it to go 200.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What is the tallest set of rims and tires for $3000? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cclngthr said:
Why do yopu want to go 200 mph?

The Azera may say it will go 160, but 115 is the limit. You will be required to redesign the whole car to get it to go 200.
Mainly for the hell of it. I like driving fast, and I do plan on tracking the vehicle at some point. Just so you know, it tops at 155 according to manufacturer specs, and I've tested that on an open flat road using a gps to determine my speed and can attest that it actually tops at 153 (but it's close). The OEM tires are rated for 149MPH, so 153 isn't too much higher than the speed rating on the OEM tires, although I did quickly decelerate after determining the top speed so as to reduce the probability of having a tire malfunction. I wouldn't consider anything over 110 a safe speed in any vehicle on the street, and under most conditions anything over 90 isn't really safe. That said, having the speed available and occasionally being able to exercise it does increase the fun of vehicle ownership.

This may actually end up being an exercise in futility, because I'm looking at just buying a high-end sports car within the next year in addition to my Azera, although I'd have to track it only since the insurance premiums on the vehicle I'm looking at are outrageous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts