Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm new, I managed to find an intake for my car, and i read in the drifting/technique section that metal pedals are better than stock plastic ones, I want your opinion on this "chrome intake" eBay Motors: 01 02 03 04 05 HYUNDAI ACCENT 1.6 1.6L 4CYL Air Intake (item 370066553914 end time Jul-13-08 01:39:38 PDT) Im looking to buy a good Intake that will improve my Gas mileage as well as my HP. I have a $50 budget for the intake.

Next look at these pedals and tell me if they would fit and work well, im looking for good grip/good looking ones and looking to spend no more than $20

eBay Motors: NOKYA PEDAL Hyundai Accent Sonata Tiburon Tucson (item 270253952686 end time Jul-15-08 20:18:28 PDT)

I heard somone mention that they kept their ebayed intake pipe and just bought a better cone filter for their's, if I keep the chrome pipe, what Cone filters do you guys reccommend?

I am open to suggestions for a better intake/pedals and criticism. LOL

·
Registered
502 Posts
wow
First you have an 03 accent, that means fwd, What you might call drifting profetional drifter would call loosing traction ,sliding around, or many other things. cars that are FWD have a hard time DRIFTing or do donuts.

Second new pedals dont exactly improve much of anything exept the looks of the inside.

sorry to ruin your hopes and dreams but the best way to have fun with a FWD car is to take to plastic trays from your local fast food store put both trays under your back wheels pull your ebrake turn you wheel and gun it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you metalshark for being the one most annoyed with me and posting an opinion, I didnt make it clear that i dont care about drifting, or dragging, I simply wanted better pedal because the stock ones i have dont give enough grip, when i accelerate too fast, my feet sometimes slip and cause the clutch to grind, i was wondering if the ones in the link would fit and work well. Secondly I'm looking for an intake that gives better Gas milage than of what i have now and a bit more HP for a good price.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
For your pedals just pull off your rubber pads and put on skateboard grip tape. They'll be fine. you'll even be able to heel/toe reasonably well as long as your feet aren't too narrow.

For the intake it's fine to buy the cheap tube and add a K&N or Amsoil filter.

Accents (or other fwd cars) can drift. Whether a car can drift or not has more to do with the balance of the car and your suspension settings than whether it's fwd, rwd, or awd. You just have to treat it differently. I can drift my Accent without ever touching the e-brake. Professional drifters use braking and weight transfer to get the car sliding more than the go pedal, although the process for keeping a fwd car drifting is different than a rwd.

In this picture from last weekend I came from the left around a sweeping corner:

It's not perfect but in this pic I have swung the rear around the cones. I get more sideways than this too slightly after this pic:

Most people who drift don't use fwd cars and the best drift cars are rwd, but that doesn't mean you can't drift a fwd.

·
Registered
502 Posts
straight from wiki:
a driving technique and to a motor sport where the driver intentionally skids the rear tires through turns, preserving vehicle control and a high exit speed. A car is said to be drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice versa), and the driver is controlling these factors. As a motor sport, professional drifting competitions are held across the globe.

With a FWD car you are using pure momentum and not torqe thus meaning you are loosing most of your exiting speed if not all.

ok refering back to wiki:
Drifting has evolved into a competitive sport where drivers compete in rear wheel drive cars to earn points from judges based on various factors.

okay mabe it is posible to drift a FWD car but acording to what a drift is and how its judged (Drifting competitions are judged based on line, angle, speed, and show factor. Line involves taking the correct line, which is usually announced beforehand by judges. The show factor is based on multiple things, such as the amount of smoke)
problem is FWD cars dont make smoke from the rear tires like a RWD car would.

FWD cars do qualify for entrance into D1GP events, but are rarely used due to the drivetrains inability to allow the car to accelerate out of a drift. They are not eligible for Formula D events.

and Im sorry If you think i was annoyed with you my accent was stollen from me last night, and I missread your post. :(
but the thing with the trays is fun to try

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I'm really sorry your Accent was stolen man. That SUCKS!

But it sounds like you agree that a FWD can drift, it's just not as optimal as a rwd car. It's a fact though that you can drift an Accent better than a lot of poorly balanced rwd cars.

You can clearly see that I'm turning right and my wheels are turned left in the first picture and I have a pretty good angle since I'm traveling directly towards the camera. I also began accelerating at the apex and continued accelerating through all of the elements visible in the photos. My front end has so much more traction than the rear end does that it's possible and controllable.

·
Registered
502 Posts
yeah u can and you clearly did weather you could win a drifting compatition is another story tho.
tho are nice pics of your accent in action.
by the way about my car today i found it in an impound lot and perswaded the people to give it back to me. aparently the person who stolle it got pulled over that night.
$222 dollars for my car back because cops didnt turn in papers for the 30 day hold on it yet lol. good thing it was only in there for 2 nights bad thing is its a waist of money, and cops tore through all my stuff.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would go with a cold air intake. SRI after the engine warms up you will be losing horsepower and prolly go down in mileage to, unless you make a heat shield.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts