Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then my car seems that it will stop firing or misfire. It seems to be constant across all cylinders. As I'm driving along at part through it happens randomly. At first I thought it was because I was low on gas, but it happens even on a full tank. When it happens my engine/exhaust wont make any noise, like the engine was off. If I let my foot off the gas it will run again, put my foot back on the gas and it will go quiet. I don't believe I have any vacuum leaks. running scoupe plugs, regular autolites, gapped at .028. Runs decent getting into it but every now and then in the morning usually after it's been sitting overnight it will do this on the hour ride to work.

I've got a check engine light and as soon as I can read it I will. I want to put an oil seperator on (for the pcv system). Spark plugs were changed about 800 miles ago w/ the oil. It sounds like all four spark plugs stop firing, not just one. So it's not detination. Anybody else ever run into this problem? I'm thinking of getting an MSD DIS2 shortly but I'd like to correct this issue first. Thanks!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had this problem as well, turned out to be broken (or at least shorting) ignition wires. I replaced them, and the problem went away for me.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
yeah dude i get it sometimes too and i think its the wires. mine happens only in 1st gear on launch when im at ~2200 and slip the clutch out. when the rpms drop a few hundred rpm then it cuts out and will stall if you dont clutch and gas it to recover. if i dont let the rpm's drop and just launch hard at 2800 or so then it doesnt do it, only when i fall off boost and only in 1st gear. its wierd.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
hmm not sure if i have the same problem my car has been running like **** lately i really need 2 wire up that beta maf

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm... could be wires... do you guys have any AFC's wired up? think it may be a loose connection on my TPS sensor to the ecu? cause if i take my foot off the gas it will fire normally but as soon as i put it back on the gas it stops firing normally...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Double check your wiring for the SAFC for wiring issues (short circuits,etc) and replace the plug wires. Also, why such a small gap? Is that the factory gap on scoupe plugs, or did you close it up? I cant view webtech at work...

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
No, that`s not the correct gap for S-Coupe Turbo plugs.......031" is nearer.

NGK do Iridiums for the S-Coupe Turbo.......& I`m running them with the pre-set gap & find them the best ever (12 p.s.i. boost set).

These, plus Magnecor 8MM. Electrosport wires should solve your problems!.

Nick.:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wont tell you to use the search feature... :chinese:

several FI accents have noticed that after about 8psi the spark will blow out on any plug gapped larger than .028. In the U.S. we've noticed that cheap regular autolite plugs seem to work best. Platinum plugs are a legendary no no on FI'd cars. Aren't iridium plugs expensive? Well... more than $1.29 a plug?

·
Registered
589 Posts
i pulled the wires out and revved the car while the wires were near a earthed piece of metal, i saw 2 leads in paticular shorting all the way along them, so i replaced all the leads.

I had no problems at idle or back off, just under load.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm... yea just under load here too. but i think wires would cause random misfiring. the problem i'm having seems to be across all plugs... still haven't gotten my CEL checked. i work too damn much... :dead:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Odds are its your plugswires but check the coilpacks to be on the safe side. Webtech has the specs on the coilpacks. I have msd 8.5mm plugwires and I love them.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts