Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

POLL Should I sue the Dealership?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kellysguy 
#1 ·
Should I sue the dealership for blowing the motor up in my wifes car? I f you havnt read the story, read "coolant on the valves" in this section. I will probably go talk to a lawyer tomorrow. It has boiled over in my mind the past two weeks and I cant take it no more. What do you all think?

#3 ·
I think that your only claim is through the warranty. If your dealer just tries to start your car and it blows up it really is not his fault. Most fuel pumps have a 2 second cut off if the car is not running so I am not sure if a cylinder could fill with enough gas during that period t do damage.

#5 ·
nope

No, you don't have a case. It's not their fault, plus, you were jacking w/ the car before hand trying to fix it. Can't sue a tech for starting a car, plus, you knew it was going to fill a cyl w/ fuel before they tried. It's just one of those "awwwww CRAP !!!!!" situations.

#6 ·
Regional customer service rep. will be meeting me this week about this matter. If you took your car in and they busted the windshield out by leaving a wrench on the cowl and them shutting the hood, I guess that would just be one of those oh crap things? huh, I dont think so.

#8 ·
Leaving a wrench on the cowl and then breaking the windsheild is a completely different thing. That's a careless accident. Starting the motor and having it blow, while it does suck, it just bad luck. How can the Tech. do any repairs to your car if he can't start or try to start it.

What would you have said if they looked at you and said that 'there's a chance that we can blow the motor while trying to repair your car, you'd better go somewhere else'.

#12 ·
"They" didn't do anything. "They" aren't the ones who "worked" on the car causing it to flood w/ fuel (along w/ the coolant that was already getting in there). All "They" did was investigate a customer complaint. To do so "They" must start the car. "They" didn't cause the hydralic lock condition TO EXSIST, nor were they made aware of it by the owner. "They" aren't the ones responsible for blowing the engine.

Bottom line is whomever CAUSED the excessive fuel condition is LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE for the occuring damage.

If you brought a perfectly good running car in for an oil change and get it back w/ a hole in the pan then YES, you have cause for a suit. If you bring a car in that is ALREADY SUFFERING from a condition that HAS BEEN PROVEN TO SEVERLY DAMAGE ENGINES and it blows up when they (or maybe when you backed it off the trailer) tried to start it, it's not their LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY.

If you take a pregnant girl on a date and she has the baby while she's out w/ you, does that make it your kid?

You asked if you should sue, here is your reply. You cannot prove they caused the condition to exsist and by your own addmition you said it already exsisted when you brought it in. You cannot prove they committed ANY NEGLINGENT ACTS. Starting a car isn't a neglingent act. You can't even prove that it locked while under their care, as you admitted it backfired and failed to start when YOU tried to start it. All of these facts will be brought up in court. YOU WILL LOSE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING. "They" are not the sole party repairing the car as YOU WORKED ON IT FIRST. Not only will you be out $$$ for a lawyer, you still need to fix your car.

YOU CANNOT PROVE IT WAS SOMETHING THEY DID IF YOU WORKED ON IT FIRST!!!!!

Even if they did do something wrong, which they didn't, you were in there first so you can't say they are soley responsible nor can you prove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.