Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me if this is known information but I could not find any other threads on the subject. The thought occurred to me when I was reading some information on getting an ecu flash and the comment was made about putting beta maps on an alpha ecu, presumably because the beta’s maps are more aggressive. If this is in fact the case I thought to myself why not just use a beta ecu? The only thing that could have a negative effect on performance would be the injector sizing. If my information is correct the alpha X3 injector is 158cc and the beta1 injector is 225cc. Also the horsepower for the X3 alpha is 92 and the beta1 is 136. This gives us a .7-1 ratio on injector sizing and .68-1 ratio on the horsepower which would lead me to believe the both the alpha and the beta1 ecu would send out similar injector pulse widths. I may have bad information or even over looked some things so the best thing to do is to actually test it. I happen to have a 1996 Accent and also happen to have a 1997 2.0 Tiburon ecu. I installed it; the car fired right up and idled nicely. Once I got the engine to about 180f I drove it around the block for about 5 minuets and it seemed to drive just fine, no cel's or anything. I couldn’t drive it on the highway because the car is currently not tagged. Also I can’t really say if I felt any performance gains because I haven’t had any real seat time in it for the past 6 months. When I get some more time I’ll get a data log for the beta1 ecu and compare it to the one I have of my alpha. I data logged the alpha a while ago so I could have some data to put into my megasquirt which is currently in the car also. Please let me know if I’m missing something here or if any of my info is incorrect.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I brought up the beta maps on an accent ecm because I am swapping a beta into an accent. On the year accent I own the pin-out is diffrent so its a PITA to use the beta ecm on it. Flashing the accent ecm with beta maps would make my life alot easier. That or buying the 230 jumper harness. If that guy can flash for under 100 (like some of the prices on his site) I will be all over that deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the good thing about the 96-99 X3s, they share the same pin out as some of the Tiburons and Elantras. My question is are the beta maps more aggressive than alpha maps and if yes how so?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Not sure if it is more aggressive, but I do know a beta running on an alpha map is lacking power below 5k rpm. I honestly have no idea if you are going to see any gains going the other way with that. Alpha on beta maps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If nothing else I did notice one difference, with the beta1 ecu the car was still pulling up to 6500 rpms, with the alpha ecu it fell on its face at 6000 rpms. Also I think I may need to use a beta maf because I noticed the air flow numbers seemed to be higher on the beta1 ecu vs the alpha at the same rpm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have a megasquirt on it now running. It's just that I had an idea and was curious about it. I don't personally need an ecu upgrade I just thought it would be interesting information for people looking to increase the performance of their alpha motors cheaply.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 96 Accent and the 97 Tiburon fx ecu plugged right in and ran fine. If I'm not mistaken the 96-99 are the same. I have not had time to compare the timing curve but the initial results seem to favor the 2.0l ecu. The maf readings seemed a bit skewed so I'm thinking that the stock alpha maf needs to be replace with a beta maf. When I get some time I'll do just that and get some logs to compare. The only thing that I'm sure of is that she revs a lot higher (6k vs 6.5k).

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry but i didi not understand a damn thing you said

I believe that he is saying that putting a Tiburon computer in an Accent is a common mod in Puerto Rico and that you should feel more performance by doing so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
is this for the DOHC or the SOHC???
in australia the 95-98 X3's came out in SOHC only whereas from mid 98-00 they were DOHC.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
^^^no
from what i understand it only works on accents/excels from 95-about 99/00
with the G4EK 1.5 SOHC and DOHC using a 97-98 fx coupe ecu

cvvt is a whole different ball game...
if you COULD get the cvvt beta ecu to work with the cvvt alpha, u would prob loose power as the cvvt would be programmed diff in each ecu...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts