Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question if anyone knows the answer to, seems that my local service and part dept does not know surprisingly. I just bought a 2004 elantra gt and was wondering if the 2.0 engine is similar to the 2.0 engine that is in the 1999 tiburon. I found a power pulley for a 99 tiburon but I want to make sure it will be compadable before I buy it.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Originally posted by billm316gt
[body]
I have a question if anyone knows the answer to, seems that my local service and part dept does not know surprisingly. I just bought a 2004 elantra gt and was wondering if the 2.0 engine is similar to the 2.0 engine that is in the 1999 tiburon. I found a power pulley for a 99 tiburon but I want to make sure it will be compadable before I buy it.
[/body]
The Tiburon engine has the Beta 1 engine, which is different than your Beta 2 CVVT engine. They have some similarities, but they are also different, and parts may not be interchangeable.

For example, a supercharger for the beta 1 engine won't work for the beta 2 engine. Although they may fit, there are differences making the part unworkable for the newer verson of the beta engine.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I would not recommend using those because you will lose the efficiency of your alternator and water pump. The voltage already drops to 13.2 volts at idle with everything on with the stock configuration. The underdrive pulley set will reduce the voltage to below 12 volts at idle. The coolant flow also will be reduced and with these engines using aluminum heads, they need as much cooling as possible because the heads tend to warp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any suggestions then on where to start with performance upgrades? if the underdrive pulley will create possible problems, what mods would be recommended? previous car was a jetta turbo that I did slight mods to, but way too many factory problems with the car so I got rid of and was really impressed with the elantra.

so far I have cold air induction, next will be bosch +4 plugs with comp wires and then possibly new throttle body. I know these won't give me a huge boost but it's a start.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Since your engine can inhale air, it also needs to exhale. A catback exhaust is your next modification. Headers are an option, but they pose a problem with the ecu. The ecu is programmed to get the engine to run clean and most people who have headers also have a CEL. These engines like some backpressure and a slower exhaust rate to get a clean burn.

There are other easy modifications to increase power, but you will find there are limitations to what you can do other than going F/I.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts