Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing to do with accents but, my friend just got a brand new car and throwed on a short ram filter not a intake just filter and the first thing he does is ( wash the engine WHILE running with the air filter completely exposed and just spraying the filter directly with soapy water and wax IT was hilarious i was waiting for his enigne to blow but to my amazment after 10 mins of washing the intake filter LOL nothing happened WTF i heard water kills a engine immediaetly???

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your engine can get hydrolocked only if the filter is completely sumerged in a liquid. If only a tad bit goes in, it basically breaks down into steam, and basically more oxygen for the car to burn. Just basically like driving in the rain.

Howie~

P.S. you should recommend that he change his oil soon tho

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whys that?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I don't know about adding extra oxygen, the bond with hydrogen is not going to be broken by the motor. If that was true people would run H20 kits instead of nitrous. It would be cheaper. The nitrogen bond will break down with higher temps creating a higher content of oxygen, water just turns into steam.

(BTW Yes I know they run sprayer kits on turbo charged cars but thats to cool the charge temp down, not add oxygen)

Back on topic.

To destroy an engine with water you need to add more CC's of water than the CC's of space you will have on the compression stroke.

Water does not compress so lets say (random guess) you have 50cc's worth of space on a beta motor when the piston comes up on the compression stroke. With our 10:1 compression ratio it could in theory take on up to 500cc's of water. Lets say it takes on 254cc's. As the piston rises it will hit a point where the valves are both closed and the volume remaining is 254cc's.. its not going to move up anymore. Something else is going to give. If you are lucky the engine won't have enough inertia to actually cause damage and just stall the motor. If your unlucky the rod will be the weak point and will come out looking more like a banana than a con rod after it tries to compress what doesn't want to compress.

Was it a good idea to do that? No. Did it really hurt anything, probably not, but I agree with the oil change. The sooner the better.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Freakin' idiot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
oldsmobiles are tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts