Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a '91 Probe GT 2.2 turbo car today that I can get cheap. It's hung in 4th but drives and the turbo is working well. I took a good look at the stuff on the car and it would appear to be laid out in almost EXACTLY the same locations as on Tidbbys. Air box and routing andlocation appears the same, intercooler location and piping looks like they will work. It would appear that only slight modification would be require to transplant all of the factory hardware over to a Tibby. All I want is 5 psi and I don't want to mess around w/ a FMU. I just want a cheap turbo set up. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
492 Posts
i had one of those cars,turbo mx6 and 626 very quick and fun to drive. turbo is very small and runs out of breath at about 5000rpm and the intercooler piping is pretty small. shifter linkage fell apart inside the tranny on that one you are looking at, all it needs is the two to three bolts tigtened back up and she is good to go.

·
Registered
492 Posts
that turbo spools at about 2000 rpm, very quick spooling, you have a twin cam head so even when it starts to run out of breath you might still have a bit more pull then you do now. wouldnt hurt and if you wanted to upgrade later you can

·
Registered
492 Posts
you can sell the ecu and other parts on mx6.com, there is always guys on there that can use parts. you can make most if not all of your money and some back

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
just do some measuring to see if it will fit... personaly if I wanted to use a mazda engine for my car look for a k series engined probe. Forget the 4 banger and go for the 6. I always see them in the junkyard.

·
Registered
492 Posts
he just wants to use the turbo parts not the whole motor. if you had to use a mazda motor use the old twin cam fe3. it was built as a diesel and aparently you can get up to 500hp out of that one when turbocharged and tuned properly

·
Registered
22 Posts
sell the ecu on probetalk.com/forums. Also, I belive that turbo is WAY too small to spool your car. I know I would never put that turbo on any car. I mean yea its a turbo but its bad when guys are constantly trying to get rid of the turbo thats originally on a car. I belive its an ihi turbo ih5 i think thats what it is. I cant remember lol. Anyways, they are great fast little cars, 15.4 stock easliy uprgraded to 14.5. The intercooler is inefficent for aftermarket aplications and the pipping sucks. I would buy that car and drive it but never use that kit for another car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All I want is 5 psi w/o any managment. I don't want to get into any super crazy stuff. Just want a little more than stock and I don't want to go n/a. About another 40 HP would be fine and no, I don't want nitrous. I have 5 T3's here already but they are almost as long as the motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts