Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the results from the dyno were less than to be expected! I started out pretty strong but the higher the rpms went the less hp it had??? So Wilbur thought it mite be the ecu so we switched out his ecu from the elantra and put it on my car and it seems to be going faster but it still lags in higher rpms! Were gonna also try a new fuel pump but does anyone else have any suggestions at all!?!? Anything will help! Thanks!!:D:(:confused:

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Her dyno was 49 hp and 65 tq. Should be double that.

I think there might be a couple things going on.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No CEL and from what Gabe said is that from the two pulls on the dyno it drops in the exact same places so it should be a simple fix as soon as we figure it out and no Gabe its not an auto it is manual!?!? I can see if Wilbur can post the results, my laptop is outta commission rite now so the scanner/copier/printer I have is kinda no use!! LOL!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We think it mite be either an old Cat, old O2 sensors, fuel pump or bad ecu!

The cat will be taken care of as soon as we get the new header put on! We switched out the 2.0 ecu for Wilburs 1.8 ecu and it seems to work a lil better but once its at full throttle it lags again which makes wilbur think it might be the O2 sensors! So we mite start from there and if it still doesnt work we will go to the fuel pump than ecu!

But does anyone have any other ideas??

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
How much compression do you have? Wytch aske me via AIM on that issue.

Could be a fuel pump/injectors. As Doug floored it, it sounded like it was winded for some reason. Either lack of fuel or not getting enough air.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Well, I have checked her Tib for CEL's previously and it had a misfire code which we corrected with new plug wires and after that no CEL at all. That was a month or two ago though but this problem has been going on since long before that.

Engine was recently replaced with a fairly low mileage junkyard engine but this did not seem to help or hurt the power output noticeably. I suspect that compression is fine but as far as I know it has not been checked.

New fuel injectors were tried (I can't remember if they're still on the car) but that made no difference.

Due to the torque curve sloping down the way it does I think that it's likely an issue delivering the right amount of fuel or an issue with the computer not knowing what the A/F ratio is and either sending an incorrect amount of fuel or pulling timing for some reason.

When I had the car on my OBD II scanner there were a few issues, one is that the car saw the fuel pressure as 23,000 lbs. The TPS also did not register throughout the entire range, started in at 7.4% and topped out around 77%. The IAT sensor was giving an incorrect reading as well indicating that it may have issues. Aside from that the MAF gave a few slightly odd readings too when I would rev the engine I thought but overall it didn't seem to top out or freeze or give nonsensical readings.

That's all off the top of my head from a while ago though. I'll let Wilbur borrow my scanner some time so that he can get new readings.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cant remember the exact compression but from when I got the new engine put on the shop that did it checked it and it was damn near perfect for that car!

We switched my ecu back into the car last nite cuz I didnt like how it was idling (droping down below 1000 close to 400-500) the 1.8 ecu did help it some and had more power at like half throttle but it still lagged when it was at full throttle which makes Wilbur think it mite be the O2 sensors as well!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:confused:Ok could this be because of a tps or some other sensors!? Or the fact that it dropped at the same place on both the dyno runs is it more fuel related i.e. fuel pump, etc.?

Im gonna wait to get my header to put that on cuz it will take care of the cat! And than Im going to possibly get new o2 sensors cuz when we put the 1.8 ecu on it took care of most of the problem except when its at full open throttle! I was reading that it could also be the MAF or TPS but I believe the TPS is new and we had put Wilburs almost brand new MAF on my car and it still did it!? The spark plugs and wires are brand new (bout a month old) besides its not even throwing a code!!:confused:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it would be wise to check the fuel pressure and go from there.
Yeah Wilbur was supposed to switch cars with my for Monday to take it to school and do that but he never did!? I think we need to do that to, cuz than we will know for sure if its a fuel pump or not rite???

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Well, if you're not getting proper fuel pressure it would narrow it down to pump, filter, regulator, or obstruction basically. Wish we had it on the dyno to test the fuel pressure while under load.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the fuel filter is brand new also! Whats the regulator?? I have never heard of that?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fuel pressure regulator.
Is that what tells it how much fuel to put in?? Where is that located? I dont think Wilbur thought bout that at least he didnt mention it to me!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It's what controls your fuel pressure. On my car it's in the tank with the fuel pump assembly. I would have to look up where it is in your car but that wouldn't be tough to do on webtech. I think yours is set up a lot differently than mine though if I remember right. I think I know how yours is set up but I don't want to say something wrong before I look it up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's what controls your fuel pressure. On my car it's in the tank with the fuel pump assembly. I would have to look up where it is in your car but that wouldn't be tough to do on webtech. I think yours is set up a lot differently than mine though if I remember right. I think I know how yours is set up but I don't want to say something wrong before I look it up.
LOL!! Understandable! I know my fuel pump is in the fuel tank! Which sucks cuz if I need that replaced I gotta rip my seats out! LOL!:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts