Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the SE 3-door. Mainly because of the "sport" tuned suspension and the B&M shifter. Those worth the extra money, or can I do better with after market? Is there anything else special about the SE? 4 grand seems like a lot for suspension and a shifter.

What kind of mpg do you guys see?

Anything else I should know about the accent if/when i buy?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I own an 07' SE

Mine's black and I am so glad I went with black. Any other color I think makes this car look more stupid and econo-girly-ride. I was actually thinking about getting the Tango-Red (I think Canada has actual red) and that would have worn on me fast and guys would have been trying to check me out.. anyway down to the less subjective stuff. Discs all around, ABS/EBD, leather wrapped steerer and shifter (I love those upgrades, makes it feel like a real car compared to without), 16" lightweight and WIDER Alloys with nice Kumhos (wheel pkg looks and performs very nice), the stiffer suspension def makes the car handle flatter and more responsively and in my opinion feels very fun... and yeah I test drove both. I also got the 6 disc cd changer with 6 spkrs and more power plus added a compact lightweight subwoofer system. Also the sunroof (sun and sound pkg). PWR windows and doors. Nice manuallyadjustable sporty seats that have never caused me any discomfort. Space is great. I NEVER feel deprived in this car. It is a little econo-box nonetheless. I am personally seriously considering TurboCharging mine and I will be extremely happy. Gas mileage might not be off the charts but it's ok and very dependent on how you drive the 5 spd. which is "spirited" in my case as it is necessary to get the car moving. It does ok though due to its light weight. I think there is a huge difference between the SE and lower model. Get all the stuff you think you'll want and you'll be happy like me. I also got the AEM Short Ram intake which was expensive but I really like it. Check out my CarDomain link. Let me know how your decision goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh... 14,000 miles with no problems at all yet. CVVT engine runs great. Shifting a little chunky but very solid, predictable and reliable. I never miss shifts when driving with "spirit". It might be a little different between individual Accents but I've heard most are in fact "chunky" shifters like mine. It was my first 5 spd though so it never bothered me and I'm used to it. My previous cars have all been big americans so this little thing seems to stick to the corners like glue to me and has been a really fun change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks nice. I will have to keep tabs on your ride; I am not one to leave things stock.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
63 Posts
jetman624 said:
Is that B&M shifter that comes with the SE a short throw?
Where are you from? I don't know if they started just throwing the B&M in with the SE pkg but mine just has a factory shifter. The B&M Short Throw Shifter was/is an aftermarket option for the SE when I bought mine. You'll find a couple other guys with rims and intakes and strut tower bars and tint and other little crap like that. I have also seen a guy who has that Turbo Kit on his future mods list like me. So yeah I'll keep my CarDomain page updated with anything I do. I'm saving for the coilovers and turbo and I'll be set. Gonna tint in the mean time. Then maybe that short shifter but I'm not pressed for that. Oh.. exhaust will come with the turbo as well as a performance clutch... and Tires :eek: Uh.. and there is a camber kit if I need it when I go to the coilovers.
Keep me updated on your decision making process. My buddy got a Toyota Yaris and last time I ran into him I asked him how he was liking his car and he didn't give a very enthusiastic response.
Later bud.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hyundai does NOT stand behind any warranty when you modify ur ride though. So if your buying new beware.

·
Registered
398 Posts
LOL!

BTW my previous comment was based on my three separate visits with three different problems to two dealerships. I have had three denied claims and one fix. so 3:1 for me.

As for the stain....i have no idea where it came from. And i can not get it out. now the stain on the hood......just kiddin just kiddin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my girlfriends dad works for hyundai, deals directly with dealers on the west coast. I am sure I could get something fixed if I had a problem. But even so, they can't nullify the engine warranty if I put coilovers or something non related to the part that broke on. If I were to do anything it would just be exhaust, intake, and some suspension stuff. They can't void my whole warrany over that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll ditto the black color post. After you put a 20% tint on the glass it looks sweeeeet....

From what I've heard about the 08', you may want to consider trying to get a great deal on an 07' left over. I understand that the 4 wheel disc and "smart braking" are no longer available. The shifter is a $122 do it yourself, the strut bar is a $230 do it yourself, and the intake is a $240 do it yourself (all of the above mentioned are dealer parts so no warranty issues).

I just finished adding the AEM short intake and redoing the cat back with magnaflow mufflers. The performance change was very significant. These little puppies are detuned and with just a few bolt-ons can come alive.

Like I said before, I tend to forget that the Accent is an econo box because it does have a very sporty look and if done right, zip. The handling of the SE very tight, but even so, there are upgrades available.

Overall, I'd recommend buying an SE, but I'd try and get an 07', if not, 08' is fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I would have to agree with the 07' SE option over an 08'. Especially if the discs and electronic braking are not on the 08!? The ABS saved my ASS and my rims this past winter! You could get one cheaper I'm sure than an 08' and I got mine in October of 06' ... an SE with upgraded stereo, sunroof.. (I love the discs all around) pretty much the top of the line-loaded Accent for 15,400 US dollars in Cincinnati Ohio. That's after taxes! Out the door. So don't pay more than that!
Thanks for the agreement on the black. I'll have tint very soon and update my CarDomain. Black helps disguise any strange lines in body design on ANY car and looks sporty and classy.
At werk.. gotta go.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine was voided over intake exhaust lowering springs and short shifter.,
Just letting you know.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Flury said:
Mine was voided over intake exhaust lowering springs and short shifter.,
Just letting you know.
Question is what did it void and why, did they give it to you in writing. They can't just void for no reason, they need to prove the issue and provide a statement in writing. Otherwise you can fight it.

I've pretty much done everything presently possible to the Accent and the dealer has provided me in writing anything that was voided. All of which I agree with since I changed the OEM spec on it.

Dash lights conversion, voided all switches and gauge cluster.
Reactive Seats, New seats are not covered under warrenty but OEM are still covered when installed.

This is just two examples of when warrenty may be voided or have a requirement to be covered. I was able to get this all in writing why I was at the dealership for an oil change. If you were to install a custom made exhaust it would void only the part in which it replaced or modified. nothing else, unless proven to be the cause a problem. An example of this would be a intake with a cheap air filter. It could be proven that the air filter allowed dirt into the engine causes issues, voiding the warrenty, but this would need to be proven.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I hate to hijack the thread....but i have been through this with these people so much. I think they can do what they want to because I can't afford an attorney. But I will ask for them to send some stuff in writing to me via email explaining the whats and whys and maybe Ill post the reply and let yall look at it.
But i really have been through this many times with many different dealers with different problems-same result.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts