Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need opinions on if it's any good compared to other brands.

PSC (performance styling centre) say it will be 30mm lower and 20-25% shorter throw.

is this any good? and no i wont go hacking my shifter shorter.

thanks

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Does having a short shifter really make THAt big a difference? Or is it just something most people prefer?

·
Registered
91 Posts
it does help because it reduces, depending on the size of the shifter, the movement of the gear stick between gears. thunk how far you have to move the factory gear stick, then hold it near the bottom of the stick and see how far you have to move your hand, thats the idea of a short shifter, to let you shift between gears quicker

·
Registered
91 Posts
i dont know if the psc ones are any good, but i was thinking of getting one, or one from rpw they have them for accents as well, about the same price i think

·
Registered
91 Posts
well i just had a look at psc and rpw, according to psc their quick shifters reduce overall movement by 20-25%, according to rpw they can do 50%, the difference being that psc charges $154 plus $50 exchange deposit, rpw however charge $200, it mentions that a charge is applicable but doesnt say how much, i guess its up to you what you want, but i'd ring both of them and find out exact prices

sorry i forgot there was an edit button lol :)

[Edited by bodes on Jan 8, 2006 11:33 PM]

·
Registered
46 Posts
changing the length of a gearstick does not make it a short throw shifter.Ask if they have changed the fulcrum(pivot point) of the lever.Any one can cut the stick down and reweld it.Ideally a short shifter will be the same length as stock but travel is reduced.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The B&M shifter is a really nice one. I have had mine for about 2 years now.

bodes, stop double posting. If you have more to say hit the edit button.:smoking:

·
Registered
466 Posts
The psc one is a short shifter. I have it. It isnt just a shorter shifter, they do increase the height of the fulcrum hence making gear changes shorter.

I love my PSC short shifter. If they asked for it back for a refund I would tell them where to go. I would not part with this thing ever.

They modify the stock one so if you send your stock one back to them you receive a refund of $50.00 i think from memory. They dont cut the top section of the shifter at all, they cut from the bottom of the stick and put that bit they cut on the bottom. This decreases the distance to move the gear stick as the bottom section is travelling furthur due to the added section. This also means the distance between all gears is shorter too, not just 1-2,3-4. It means 1-3 is closer too, so makes for a much nicer feeling.

Buy the PSC one in my opinion. Makes a big enough difference and I think if you had a 50% difference it would make it far too hard to shift. Thats why they make them so long from the factory...

Just my 2c worth, take it or leave it. I would be heading here to buy one now though...
http://www.performancestylingcentre.com.au/

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
or the poor man's way to have a short shifter is Cut about an inch of the shifter rod with a dremel with a metal cutting attachment and use a professional threading kit to make thread's on the cut Shifter rod.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]
or the poor man's way to have a short shifter is Cut about an inch of the shifter rod with a dremel with a metal cutting attachment and use a professional threading kit to make thread's on the cut Shifter rod.
[/body]
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Horrible Idea.

I have the TWM shifter and it is awesome. Big difference from stock :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
^^agreed, but from TWM if yo have an LC or LC2. It's AWESOME!!! It's a whole new car from there. Doesn't feel like drivign a truck anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts