Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I have posted a/b this before but not many responses. Every time I go to the gas station I have to spend such a long time pumping my gas. It fills up to the pump in like 8 seconds. Then I have to let the gas go back down n keep doing that. It's really annoying, especially when it is cold out cuz i can't sit in the car & it takes like 3 times longer to put gas in my car. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I have tried pulling the nozzle out some & turning the pump sideways like some peeps suggested but none of that works.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump to the new post section

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump to new post

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Have you tried setting the pump nozzle to a lower flow setting?

I've had this happen to cars after someone's siphoned out the gas.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If this happens with all pumps then I would suspect that you have a problem with pipe leading to the gas tank. Check to see that it is not damaged.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whiplash_89 said:
Dont put the entire nozzle into the hole.
Read what I wrote @ the bottom of my paragraph above.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
187sks said:
Have you tried setting the pump nozzle to a lower flow setting?
You mean ease on the handle to make the flow less? If your talking about this then yes but it still does it just not as fast but still fills up quickly enough. Then have to let it go back down again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump, bump, bump, bump, bump.......... bump, bump, bump, it up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the EVAP air filter is plugged up with dust. You are pumping in gas and the air that the gas displaces has to go somewhere other than back up the pipe your trying pump gas down. Pull out the Charcoal Canister and make sure that it isn't soaked in liquid gas or water. Get the Breathing system clean and get it so you can blow thru it easily.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will check out tom any more suggestions?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SD_Hyundai_Tech said:
Sounds like the EVAP air filter is plugged up with dust. You are pumping in gas and the air that the gas displaces has to go somewhere other than back up the pipe your trying pump gas down. Pull out the Charcoal Canister and make sure that it isn't soaked in liquid gas or water. Get the Breathing system clean and get it so you can blow thru it easily.

How can you get it clean? I took the EVAP canister off the car. You can't get into it. Only thing you can do is play with the charcoal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This may sound stupid but are you turning off your ignition when you are filling your tank ? I found out that if you have your key on you won't be able to get gas to go into the filler. I found this out when i was leaving my sirius on for my wife while i was getting gas.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Not only does that make absolutely no difference, I fill my car with it running (YOU find me a replacement starter for a 1987 Stellar).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i turn my car off when i put gas in. you are suppose to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bump still got the prob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no more say?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im a hyundai tech and this is a very common problem, what happens is the charcoal in the charcoal canister breaks up and stops up the vent, I dont know what kind of hyundai you have but if its an accent then you will need to replace the canister and the dmtl which is right beside it. Only the accent uses the dmtl though so any other model you just need a canister.
In some cases the charcoal will get into the vent line and you may have to drop your tank and remove the vent to clean that out along with the lines.
Try the canister first and you should be ok.
I bet when you remove your canister and shake it little black charcoal pellets fall out.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The above post sounds correct to me, but prior to reading it, I was thinking Fuel Vent Valve. It basically is the valve that opens when fueling to allow pressure to flow into the tank during the process.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts