Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back again. Several months ago I had a bead on a 2001 XG300 and I asked for advice on it. I cannot find that thread. I would like to know what your recommendations and warnings are for this vehicle, as I have another one. It has 68000 miles on it. I would like to start off on the right foot with a good, reliable, and safe car. The XG300 sounds like a good and safe car, with lots of style, but I am just not sure how reliable it is.
I have been trolling these forums since I signed up and have a mixed impression on the reliability of Hyundai vehicles of this vintage. It seems like I hear, "it breaks a lot, but the warranty covers it." Well, what if you do not have a warranty to cover repairs? Please give me your honest opinion on the XG, as I also have a few other options on a Sonata, an Elantra, and some American cars. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
At 68K, the first question to ask is if the timing belt has been replaced. If not, you're looking at a 4-500$ job on top of what you already paid.

Personally, I think anything made after 2000 is going to be reliable car...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information... I had not looked at the timing belt. I guess my concern with having work done on the vehicle is that I simply do not have time to do it myself and I do not know where I would take it to get serviced. The only dealership that is convenient to my area of Pittsburgh (#1 Cochrane) is a known rip-off. I am also considering a Sonata, but I have the same concerns as far as repairs and maintenance. Please let me know if anyone else has additional advice. Thank you, again.

Oh... I found my original post. Here is the link. Again, all fo your information is appreciated.

http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=65338

[Edited by PeruvianHighlander on Jan 2, 2006 12:52 PM]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts