Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am under the impression that the flex pipe is there to "take up" the movement from the drivetrain from the rigid chasis to which the pipes and mufflers are attached.

If that is the case, when purchasing a cat back system (i.e. the evofusion cat back) why is there no flex pipe? Is the movement within certain tolerances that won't effect the pipe?

TIA,
Mikey

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well,

Every single catback system I've ever purchased has come with a flex pipe section. It's not as long as the OEM, but there is a short section that seems to function.

Howie~

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asian_907 said:
Well,

Every single catback system I've ever purchased has come with a flex pipe section. It's not as long as the OEM, but there is a short section that seems to function.

Howie~

hmmmm.....

not to disagree, but the picture of the system I was looking at (and scheming to buy) doesn't show a flex pipe. So you personally don't think it's a good idea to run a system without one?

·
Registered
68 Posts
mikeyhd said:
I am under the impression that the flex pipe is there to "take up" the movement from the drivetrain from the rigid chasis to which the pipes and mufflers are attached.

If that is the case, when purchasing a cat back system (i.e. the evofusion cat back) why is there no flex pipe? Is the movement within certain tolerances that won't effect the pipe?

TIA,
Mikey
The evofusion catback only contains the muffler and connecting pipes and it'll bolt up to the oem flex pipe, well, it's suppose to at least, but I heard it doesn't match up right. If you want the flex pipe you'll have to buy the evofusion header as well, which comes with the flex pipe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought about it until now, I would be dealing with a stock 1 3/4 flange (either off of my cat or flex pipe) and their 2 1/4 flange for starters.

Oy vey, this is not a project for me right now, I think I better leave it up to the pros at the shop.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i was under the impression a cat back system applied to the section of the exhaust after the catalytic converter, whereas my flex pipe is located in front of the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2007 SE goes like this..... manifold > cat > flex pipe > resonator > long pipe > muffler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts