Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am considering a swap for my '01 accent GS 1.6L and i have looked for a few hours now and couldnt find what i wanted to know:

can an auto tranny survive and preform with the power of the beta engine? or will it be destroyed within a year. i normally take off from the traffic lights lights very quickly (RPM shifts at 6.5 and only goes to 8 and i am normally doing 65+mph at the end of the onramp to turnpike) or do i need to get a beta tranny to handle the power?

thanks in advance for any help

and yes im aware that "jack rabbit" starts are bad for my car but nothing bad has happened from it yet,

·
Registered
502 Posts
unless you are planning on turboing the beta engine the alpha tranny will handle fine, but I recomend doing a beta tranny and axel with the engine that way you will have reliability up to 300 hp :)
enough room for 10 psi of fun

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and i am guessing i would need to use the beta tranny if i wanted to find a supercharger. and i know alpine made one but they went out of biz. so any ideas about a supercharger? and if it will fit under my hood?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm not sure about where to find a supercharger kit, but you will deffinatly need beta axel if you are going to supercharge the beta.

pontiac superchargers are ussualy cheap look around on ebay for one and the some custom work done for where you want its placement.

The best place for a supercharger in up by the intake manifold. most companies have a special intake manifor for them to fit up there.

If you dont want to anycustom intake manifold you can place the supercharger on the engine and cut out the hood.

If you dont want to cut your hood or do custom IM them u can always take out the power stearing and hook it up right next to the hottest thing under the hood.

with a supercharger it will be a must to either take out the PS or AC so choose wisely ( I hear PS isnt really needed if you loop the stearting fluid lines).

If you dont find a kit, I would go with cutting out the hood and putting the SC right on top of the engine. you can easly get a hood scoop to cover the SC poping out, and the scoop will help on the SC not to heat up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think 5k is too much to spend on a supercharger kit.
I would definatly get one custom made for less then 2k.

Research what parts are needed, and how to reliably do everything.
you will definatly be more satisfied knowing that yours is custom and you did it,and its done correctly.

I got my turbo kit peice by peice it needs cleaning up but in total I spent 1k :D

As long as u are going beta you will still be happy with your power gains.

I saw some cheap turbo kits for beta engines. If you want to go turbo instead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
cheap turbo...tell me more

how cheap are we talking? And do you know about the quality of them? And one last question where did you see them? And I agree with you 110% $5k is a little on the high side (by a little I mean screw that and shipping are you
nuts?) though I don't know the whole deal about turbos im willing to learn about them and save me some money...Ok so what I do know is that its called a turbo or turbocharger, makes you go fast, lots of shiny piping and it makes cool noise. (sarcasticly) So I'm all set right?

but that's actually all I do know besides intercooler and it compresses air and heard somthing about being exhaust driven

·
Registered
502 Posts
I saw OBX make a whole kit for $999 + shipping somebody pointed it out on ebay.
but Im sure you can by peice by peice too.
you will need:

Exhaust headers

turbo/intercooler pipping

intercooler

Blow off valve

boost guage

fuel presure regulator (I think thats what its called)

and something to keep it tuned. sugjesting an ECU reflash for 20 psi, but if you are planning on low boosting (4-12 psi) greddy emanage was known for best quality.

if you are planning to tune it yourself use a widdeband A/f guage.

and you will need little things when putting it together.
and a full exhaust.

it sound like a lot but unless you are making a custom SC it will be a lot cheaper then buying a full SC kit

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you know anything about OBX? i have never heard of them before and i dont want to spend $1ooo on something that will fall apart on the highway. and you are sure that it will fit into a beta swapped accent engine bay, but i would definitely go with a full pre built kit if they have a good reputation.

·
Registered
502 Posts
actualy I have heard mixed reveiws about OBX, but I know for sure they are working their way up for honda's. the quality looks good but I havent seen it in action. the OBX turbo kit should fit a swaped engine bay if not then you can either cut some pipping or you can get a different pipping kit on ebay ussualy like 60$

but remember once the kit is set you will still need small things for tuning and for installment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
GRRRRR...i hate the hyundai parts department's advice

:mad::confused::mad:So get this; i had asked the people who normaly do all the work on my car if they swapped engines they said oh yeah that is actually what we are doing to a jeep over there right now (she pointed to a jeep with a huge engine halfway into the engine bay. so i asked if they could put a 2.0L tiburon engine in my accent to make it stronger, they said sure and that they would call me with an estimate about the price including engine and tranny and everything. so i was extremely happy and waited a week and finally got a call from them...it went along the lines of this:
hello, Tommy. yeah it is me Sharron at york automotive, yeah i just got off the phone with the Hyundai parts department and they said that i was a very bad idea to swap out the engines, because of blah, blah blah and the O2 sensors wont work,and the check engine light will be on a lot and it wont pass inspection and the computers will get confused and all of the sensors are different and blah blah blah and we don't want to be responsible for any problems down the road so sorry about that. so all i really got out of that was...yeah f*** you and your hyundai we dont really care at all, we wont tune it and make sure it is done right. blah blah blah.
so now i gotta find some place that will do it.:mad::(:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
502 Posts
yeah when I was thinking about swapping that is all I would get because i dont have many tools for doing it myself.
you need to find a friend that got all the needed tools then you gotta research bit on what is really needed for the swap.
either that or you can find another Hyundai enthusiast to help
or if your lucky you will find an auto shop that knows no boundaries.:D

its the options that made me say forget the swap, but high respect and props to you if you manage to swap and turbo it.
another couple guys did that and they were saying that they could burn evos
many props to them. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dude i would love nothing more than to find an auto shop that knows no boundaries but i know a few other people who race and do a lot of work on cars both for a job and on the side, i will talk to them and see what i can get

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going beta is more than worth it. The 1.6 ecu runs the 2.0 just fine. I am also running the 1.6 auto tranny just fine. The 1.6 wire harness works fine also but if you have done your research you should know most of that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts