Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, some can already im running a turbo setup on my car already but the horsepower output is still not quite where i want it. Im running too lean with the setupi have now.

What i want to ask is what was the max whp you all recived using your stock setup and at what psi? (stock: 290cc injectors, beta ecu) Is the likly hood that if I change from my punny stock Alpha injectors and get a beta ecu that I too could possably reach that whp number?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
This is what you need to do pal, u need to discover the true potential or your car! u need to boost it atleast 14 psi. then u will be telling us about how much power you are making

Look at this think u will see my car at .9 and 1.2 bar boost. look at how the power changed over just .3 of a PSI. and im a 1500 Sohc
http://www.iformation.co.za/scoupe/1t.jpg

so are you ready for some testing? testing is Easy! getting the Performance you gain during testing to everyday car use that is teh hard part!

2L Beta accent turbo coming soon! Click Hyperlink dont wanna Jack our boyz post!http://www.iformation.co.za/scoupe/koos.jpg

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
see the thing is your car was already made with boost in mind. Now how much different from a 1.6 ecu is yours not sure but again yours still reads boost better than mine. I have however tried it. I went from 5psi to 8 and the power went down...Im just not getting enough fuel into it...My A/F rtio was waaaay too lean that the dyno I went to refused to do a full redine pull. They stoped everytime at 3,500 rpm because thats when I would hit full boost.

Now i have already experimented with injectors... i installed a set of 440cc injectors and the power when boosting felt much more but i was running opposite I was way too rich, so much that after I hit 5k rpm or shifted the engine flooded (i asume that because I would have it in gear but the car wouldnt move or even rev.) I would have to keep fluttering the throttle until i got it to rev in neutral. I also had my SAFC tunned ALL THE WAY -50% on ALL sides and it still was too rich even at idle. ( i could smell the gas just pouring from the exhaust)

I dont want to go overboard with anything I want to use a more efficient way to deliver fuel not just slap some 550cc injectors a 255 fuel pump and boost 10 psi...I know for a fact its NOT needed and a waste of time UNLESS you plan to try to get your car to a MUCH higher horse power then it might make sense to have all that done.

My goal in the begining was to only have 150 whp but when I saw how easy it was to break 135 i upped my goal to 190-200 whp. SInce raising the boost level didnt do anything for me I now need to get more fuel into the system THEN raise the boost and see what my numbers are.

I have notice that there are a few 2.0 guys that have around 172-180 whp on what I belive is a stock fuel system. What Im asking is a confermation if that IS in fact a stock fuel system that they ae getting those numbers on. Also since a lot of guys who do Beta swaps run their betta on the 1.6 ecu i figured why not run my 1.6 off the Beta ecu with Beta injectors and try running boost on that? If its a simple doable thing then i will try it if not then I wont waste my time.

I do like the numbers your pulling though. Are you going for more or are you leaving it as is with 188?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
In regards to your problem it looks like you are ontop of the situation and u will sort it out.

Increase your feul pressure to 3.5 bars will make it alot safer. Keep the 440cc's and get a MegaSquirt a Full managment system cut all that Hyundai ECU Bullshit out ecu/afm in the Bin do it today. Hyundai ECU installs fake confidence in you! ask yourself how many Beta Turbo engine's have been blowned on accent/beta Ecu's? and Piggy Back just pulls the wool over your eyes, yes you can increase feuling and get your AFR right but you will still be bound by the limitation of the standerd ecu intern making less power.

My goal is 250bhp! on the 1500 12V

This is my mates Dyno Printout with a 1400 8V Uno turbo at 1.6 bar boost.
This is the Benchmark we all should work to, if a 1400 can do it a 1500 12v Should! This Kind power will get you low 13's

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have some friends who have spare aftermarket fuel pumps, why dont you give it a try along with your stock injectors. Maybe with that combination, you can have an ideal AFR for both idle and on-boost situations.

If this is not possible, try playing with your fuel reg. What I did before was that I tried to 'jet' it by toying around with some soldering lead and a bunch of drill bits... but I wouldn't recommend this :p

·
Registered
845 Posts
fintile- You need some damn fuel management man. Are you only using a safc for tunning? Do not swich to the beta ecu, you will only run into problems. An safc is not proper management for boost on a returnless fuel system car! What you should have is either a 190 or 255 pump and an additional fuel rail with a controller like this AIC1 , that would add more fuel only under boost conditions and allow the car to run normal on off boost condition. Or an emanage, or SMT 6, etc.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
RTP what other controllers are good for a returnless system. I was looking at the smt 6 or the emange ultimate. Im trying to stay low budget, but not get cheep crap that will not work after a while. If i have to spend 600 on a system then i will, as long as it work like it spose to.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See thats exactly what i dont want...bigger pump? Have you seen the crap someone has to go through on an 04 to not only get the stock one out but to replace it with another pump and also add a fuel filter. Im not saying it doesnt work nor am i saying your wrong just I feel that theres other options to that oh and a duel fuel rail is something I feel is a pointless setuo..its not very practical and its more work than its worth.

Im not looking for a cheep fix and the SAFC i got in exchange for my BBTB (throttle was too sticky on the bbtb)a nd same with sharptooth i wanna stay low budget and my nearby junk yard has some elantras and Tibs but they charge $60 for Ecus and its a mish and a half to get there. If I can know ahead of time that swaping my ecu out along with injectors would help me out a bit till i can afford a megasqurt or emanage as well as the time needed to tune it so i can drive it daily im gonna do that but it was more a curiosity question rather than a "this is all i want to use will it work" question ya know?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I went with an emanage ultimate. It is kinda expensive though, but I belive that fuel management is the last place you should cut corners on a boost setup. Jsharptooth91 you either have to go with extra injector(s) in the charge pipe, a duel rail, or something like the emanage ultimate or standalone. One good thing about additional injector controllers, wether they are in your charge pipe or dual rail, Its good that you only have to tune (using your wideband) by adding fuel in the on boost condition. Back when I was going to turbo my 1.5, I was going to use the AIC1. I still have it actually.

Either this or convert to a return system, run an afc to detune larger injectors, a rrfpr and a fmu. (This all sounds to goofy to me)!

Fintile- I installed a walbro in my fuel tank, it kinda sucks but its not that hard. Your going to need one for 200hp anyway. Im guessing your fuel system is the same or similar to mine. So it can be done.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I happen to have a 97 eclipe 190 fuel pump but not sure if it will instal or even be enough...Im sure it is seeing as an eclipse is a 2.0 and can get about 210-220 on a stock fuel system, (long story how I know, seen it work on a buddies though) If you could maybe give me a write up of what I'll need and what to do I have no problem with it just nobody seemed to know when I asked and I thought I would just wait till later. Also too in your opinion would I be set to go with just 290cc injectors for a 200whp setup or would I need larger?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Im assuming that this is what you mean by a duel fuel rail set up. I found this on another site, but the concept should be the same. This would be much easier to do this than convert to a return system.
One simple cost effective "solution" is making a dual feed fuel rail. It's acutally very simple and require little tools. On the stock rail fuel is fed into one side and out between the #3 and #4 injector. To modiy the rail you simple feed the fuel to both sides of the rail making the fuel distributed more evenly throughout the injectors.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I happen to have a 97 eclipe 190 fuel pump but not sure if it will instal or even be enough...Im sure it is seeing as an eclipse is a 2.0 and can get about 210-220 on a stock fuel system, (long story how I know, seen it work on a buddies though) If you could maybe give me a write up of what I'll need and what to do I have no problem with it just nobody seemed to know when I asked and I thought I would just wait till later. Also too in your opinion would I be set to go with just 290cc injectors for a 200whp setup or would I need larger?
I belive a 190 pump and 290cc injectors will be suitable for your goals. I plan to get 220whp out of my 290cc if posible.

Jsharptooth91- By dual rail, I meant an extra fuel rail and set of injectors mounted in your intake runners. Your original rail and injectors would remain stock and the second rail would only spray under boost.

Keep in mind people, that this is my first time doing this also. Ill be done mine pretty soon and I'll let you all know how well the emanage utimate works out.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you could maybe do a write up of a fuel pump install for an LC2 thatwould be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If you have the option of swapping to the beta ecu do it. In my x3 it was plug and play. Number one reason for swapping? Your stock ecu is meant to control 190cc injectors, swapping to a beta ecu is designed for 240cc injectors. You will get better control over larger injectors, even with an safc. Going to a return fuel setup is not that hard, install an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and run and hose from the return on it to the tank, others have done it on this site and it seemed pretty simple. Good luck!

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you have the option of swapping to the beta ecu do it. In my x3 it was plug and play. Number one reason for swapping? Your stock ecu is meant to control 190cc injectors, swapping to a beta ecu is designed for 240cc injectors. You will get better control over larger injectors, even with an safc. Going to a return fuel setup is not that hard, install an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and run and hose from the return on it to the tank, others have done it on this site and it seemed pretty simple. Good luck!
Im sorry but I disagree. The beta ecm is not plug and play in the Lc accents and it will throw cels. The ecu simply has an ign timing map and a fuel pulse width map. It dosen't know what size the injectors are. And also the beta 2 uses 190cc injectors.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wait if a beta 2 is using 190cc then whats a stock LC/LC2 accent using?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Thats why I said if he has the option, i wasnt sure if it was lc or what I didnt pay attention. I can say it does make a difference though. When i was running beta injectors on my 1.5 ecu it was pretty off. When I swapped the beta ecu in things got much easier for the tuning. I do remember hearing the beta 2 injectors are smaller.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
omgbossis21 said:
Thats why I said if he has the option, i wasnt sure if it was lc or what I didnt pay attention. I can say it does make a difference though. When i was running beta injectors on my 1.5 ecu it was pretty off. When I swapped the beta ecu in things got much easier for the tuning. I do remember hearing the beta 2 injectors are smaller.
beta 2 injectors are smaller than the Lc2's?

Ok this is throwing me off now. WHy swap to smaller injectors, they cant be smaller Im sure they are bigger than an lc/lc2 but at the same time they might just be smaller than 290cc...isnt the V6 Tib injectors 290cc?

·
Registered
232 Posts
well soulfu racing does rechips but at the moment they only do betas so if you want to run that ecu then you have to get the harnes but you have to get the right one and that is the one that runs off of map sensor so then your still going to have the same problem unless you have the ecu rechipped or you find one already done then with the harness or if you choose to rewire it yourself, there is a schematic someone posted here on this website. then you could run that ecu and it could benefit. remember some of these guys here doing swaps are using the ecu for thier 2.0s but they have to rewire it. ya you could run return system and rising rate fuel pressure regulator but thats oldschool...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts