Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2.25 full exhaust on my car and it sound's nice but the buzzyness and the drone have gotten old on me,

I'm thinking of adding 2 ebay MBRP resonator's and either a 07 civic si muffler or a turbo muffler

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just want my car to have it's quiet oem sound..

i'm probably gonna have to fit some louvered core resonators..

glasspacks really won't help much for noise and vibration or will it?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you think the size of my exhaust is making the car make a rough sound?

everytime my car is idle, the idle and vibration of the car is very rough, if i let the rpm needle go up a bit, the vibration is gone..

it's even worse with a/c...so bad that i consider selling the car

i would try to sell the exhaust i have on my car now and start a new with a 2 inch full piping with dual resonators and a thrush muffler

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hey TAK82 tomorrow I will show you a video on how a trubo sounds on a beta with a resonator.

here is mine with just a turbo muffler and header 2.5" crush bent. (no resonator)

MySpaceTV: Typical Exhaust video by Matt

if you look in the back ground you will see the glass pack resonator I will show to you tomorrow on the car.

it is almost as quiet as a stock tibby with that on.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I meant 2.25 not 2.5

anyways here you go

MySpaceTV: For tak by Matt

With this on the interior is so quiet (my interior is gutted to the max)

·
Registered
77 Posts
to stop the drone you need at least a 24" resonator and closer the 30" you can get the better. i have a 28" and its quiet as hell untill you get on it. here is a video of it i'm the blue rd2 tiburon
the drive by start a about 5:20 seconds into it

my setup is SSAutoChrome header/stock cat/28"resonator/magnaflow muffler
2.5" all the way thru and under axle like the old apexi N1 spec exhaust was for the RD tibs. its the quietest in the pack and thats how i like it untill i'm ready to really get on it.
YouTube - ElantraXD Pittsburgh Meet 2007

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool videos...

Coal-forge..are you running headers?? with that turbo muffler and stick on glasspack?

another way i found to shut up exhaust up is put a car cover and stuff it in the spare tire bay..muffle's the sound beautifully.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For long road trips I spread blankets in the back to silence the noise. If you are like me and anorexic when it comes to cars blankets weight too much as well. Try this get some foam in the arts and craft section in wal mart they sell it in bag, it is the kind a foam they use to make bed pads except they do not have the bumps.

I have this stuff shoved inbetween panals in the car to deadon the sound... and it doesn't weigh a thing for its volume. You can make floor mats with it if you cover it in cloth, then you could use spray adhesive and place it on the floor.

Yeah I have a header with that turbo and straight through.
So basically a header and straight piping to the turbo muffler.

Just click on http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/showroom/78202-my-fb-tibby.html#post750507http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...tml#post750507 to see my car and how striped out it is. This is by far the quietest exhaust i have had on a car (other than stock).

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what about vibration..?

i think my exhaust is a bit big for my car..maximun should have been 2 inch's

i' getting a bit of a annoyin vibration throughout the car when i'm at idle with no a/c..

i'm almost positive the vibration is from the exhaust..

the exhaust guy didn't do a good job of making exhaust hanger's for my exhaust and had to stretch the rubber hanger to get the hook's on the pipe's to insert the rubber hanger..thus making them a bit stiff and passing a bit of vibration throughout the cabin.

you think a long resonator or 2 would take car of that..while i'm adding a turbo muffler?

so flame me for being a idiot but is a resonator like a weighed supressor?

make's the exhaust a bit more acoustically and physically insulated so it can't vibrate easily with the added weight??

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
resonator dictionary.com
. a hollow chamber whose dimensions allow the resonant oscillation of electromagnetic or acoustic waves

Resonance dictionary.com
4.Physics. a.the state of a system in which an abnormally large vibration is produced in response to an external stimulus, occurring when the frequency of the stimulus is the same, or nearly the same, as the natural vibration frequency of the system. b.the vibration produced in such a state.

"the exhaust guy didn't do a good job of making exhaust hanger's for my exhaust and had to stretch the rubber hanger to get the hook's on the pipe's to insert the rubber hanger..thus making them a bit stiff and passing a bit of vibration throughout the cabin"

Try using a softer rubber or a more correct size hanger.

Sorry but the thing I put on the tail pipe was a muffler not a resonator.

The red muffler in the video was a deadoning type muffler. The sound waves are absorbed by the material inside the core.

A turbo muffler is a restricting and deadoning type muffler.

"make's the exhaust a bit more acoustically and physically insulated so it can't vibrate easily with the added weight??"
This would be deadoning.

No a resonator is a way of tuning the exhaust sound by changing an exhaust section to a differend diameter (larger). Also sudden increase in the diameter will decrease the speed in which the gas in the exhaust pipe.

Certain sizes of pipe will increase a certain frequency of sound.

Is your engine beta 1 or 2?
Does the steering wheel shake at idle?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm all turbo muffler, i dont' care about free-flow anymore..
my old muffler is too loud and makes the car lose low-end torque.

my engine is a beta II

the steering wheel vibrates mildy..but not so much that you need to grab it with both hands to stop the shaking.

so i need a 2.25 turbo muffler and a 2.25 resonator..probably the longest one i can find..
what's a good source and good price of both items?

·
Registered
256 Posts
i used a magnaflow muffler cylinder shape with a 2.25 in and 2.25 out and placed it under the car where the factory muffler usted to reside. the price was fair being i bought it at a parts shop ($35-$45) it was very light and quieted it down just to where i wanted it. i can pass for almost factory until i open her up with a load. as well with the vibration the hanger and touching the body panels are good places to start and also if your exhaust dosen't have a flex joint it will make it vibrate

to help deaden the sound i took spray foam insulation with med expanding properties from home depot pulled out the plastic pannels that cover the hatch and sprayed away. also i sprayed down the area in the rear of the hatch that is open between the car and the bumper (on the inside). then covered all of the exposed foam with ruberized undercoat. that made it almost back to stock with interior noise

these part numbers are what you would probibily want 10415 and 12635

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i noticed something very odd,

i think my cat is busted..

when i had my old muffler, i alway's had the baffle on..
one day i tok out the baffle and found metallic particles inside the muffler..

also..exhaust pipe's that are too big can cause gase's to get dense and bounce and cause vibration...my car's idle vibration is bad and annoying..shakes the dashboard a bit..i think it's definitely the exhaust and not the motor mounts.

OME exhaust's focus on exhaust velocity and quietness, which is why they add dual cat's and a resonator or 2..

so my big 2.25 with only a CR-V muffler isn't gonna be enough to muffle anything..when i rev the car at about 3-3500..it's sound's like a raspy broken exhaust but when revved, it's hushed all the way to 6500RPM

to solve this..i ordered a 20 inch thrush resonator and a catco 2.25 cat converter from summit racing..

the cat should make the exhaust unraspy and no popping..

i can't wait...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Im running headers.. Magnaflow hiflow cat, and a 22in resonator... 2 1/2in all the way back. Carbon R-spec muffler... No Rasp..

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, the cat eliminates most of the rasp..

it force's the gase's to pass through the hundred's of teeny holes to burn up excess fuel and disamplify the exhaust drone..

how's the idle on the car? doe's your drink rattle when yu put it on the drinkholder?

·
Registered
256 Posts
i have long tube headers no cat with a magnaflow muffler and 2 3Aracing mufflers on the back, and i have the poly motor mounts and window weld filled tranny mounts. the car has no rattle won't even rattle loose change in the cell holder so if you are getting lots of car shaking rattle it is from your exhaust mounts or part of the exhaust or motor/tranny having metal to metal contact

just remember in your request for performance and speed that you are going to loose some civility of your ride

1 - 20 of 31 Posts