Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new engine in my 1997 Tiburon, and everything works except that it overheats when standing still. I checked the plugs for the fan, and they are both plugged in, but the fan does not run even when the coolant gets so hot that it boils. My book originally said that there was a thermo switch on the radiator that switched on the engine fan when the coolant temperature is above 200 degrees F. I looked forever, but found no wires other than the two for the fans.

What I discovered it that the thermo switch is probably inside my water pump, as it is with some coupes from that year. Does anyone know if this is true??? My new engine is a 1999, but it's the same as a 1997. The fan is the same fan I had before, and it worked at that point. I'm thinking it's probably the water pump because that is new to the new engine. Also, I'm guessing that you just need to buy a whole new water pump, since I can't find a thermo switch anywhere. Anyone know if that is true?

Thanks for all of your help so far guys. I've been able to install a complete engine and clutch with your help.

Chad

·
Registered
124 Posts
You should have two sensors in the thermostat housing, one with one wire and one with two wires. The one with one wire controls the fan operation as well as the gauge in the cluster. If you pull the connector off of it with the car running the fan should come on (fail safe ). If not the problem is else where, a relay or fuse maybe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts